• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2017 6:23 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
3763 posts
148 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Great question OP. I haven't had Filipino food in a long time, and never seen/noticed restaurants where I live.
Trump and Saudis sitting on a tree...
Apr 10, 2017
110 posts
32 upvotes
Because of their fellow Filipinos asking for shameless discounts + "can I please pay you later" type of deals.

It's hard to scale a business when your primary targets are cheap to begin with.
Apr 10, 2017
110 posts
32 upvotes
btw, the word "Jollibee" will resonate when they open Seafood City @ Heartland soon. Maybe this will help, but it's very American. I can find better places to have breakfast vs Jollibee (then again, you don't go to Jollibee for breakfast. It's all about CJ + Jolly Spaghetti)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11023 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
milhaus wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:18 pm
Platito.
That means "little plate" in Spanish.
Santa: Why is there a higgs boson in my sleigh? Me: I put one there sir. Santa: wait, there are tons more between the seat cusions. You lied! There are lots! Get them out of my sleigh! If I find more higgs bosons in there, I will have a conniption.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11023 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:53 pm
Frankly because filipino food isnt very good. Its popular with people ho grew up with it, or they're from the philipines.

It just doesnt have enough flavor or contrast.
Lamesa is filipino fusion. So aspects of western methods of culinary arts is incorporated.

But the big famous dishes like adobo, pancit, lumpia, kare kare etc... don't really appeal to the masses.
This is the issue I talk about often. Pakbet is a good example. It is great they cook vegetables. But pakbet literally tastes like nothing. That and other dishes you mention lack flavour so that I never crave them when I go out in Davao. Every day living there, I would go to minute burger or jollibee because I won't enjoy the flavours at the many carinderias nearby. Serving vegetables or meat alongside a mountain of white rice doesn't do the job because not only do the vegetables have a lack of flavor, but that mound of white rice has no flavor at all.

I also don't like the white rice used in Japanese dishes. Nothing served with a mound of white rice is very good. I always have the urge to toss out my pile of white rice. The rice needs flavour!

I also agree there is good filipino food, but it lacks both here in Toronto and Davao. Someone invited me to Santa Cruz, south of Davao for a birthday. Best feast I ever had anywhere. What was notable? None of it was found in the carinderias! They don't include those things I actually enjoyed. This is what gives the bad impression. They should serve THAT, not the other stuff we don't like.
And then there is the market in Cagayan de oro. Tons of great stuff. But a lot of that is from muslim which partly explains why it is different from Davao. The muslim area offers better stuff!
Santa: Why is there a higgs boson in my sleigh? Me: I put one there sir. Santa: wait, there are tons more between the seat cusions. You lied! There are lots! Get them out of my sleigh! If I find more higgs bosons in there, I will have a conniption.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11023 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Biscayne05 wrote:
May 20th, 2017 1:55 am
btw, the word "Jollibee" will resonate when they open Seafood City @ Heartland soon. Maybe this will help, but it's very American. I can find better places to have breakfast vs Jollibee (then again, you don't go to Jollibee for breakfast. It's all about CJ + Jolly Spaghetti)
Apart from being a filipino owned business venture, jollibee isn't filipino at all as far as the actual food is concerned. The only thing that sets it apart is how spaghetti is eaten with fries lol. But everything is American/Italian origen. (hot dogs, fries, burger, spaghetti, etc) only thing missing is the pizza! Lol

I do think plenty of non filipinos will go too. When it opens.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6447 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
May 20th, 2017 12:01 pm
Apart from being a filipino owned business venture, jollibee isn't filipino at all as far as the actual food is concerned. The only thing that sets it apart is how spaghetti is eaten with fries lol. But everything is American/Italian origen. (hot dogs, fries, burger, spaghetti, etc) only thing missing is the pizza! Lol

You might be able to pick up some nice Filipinas there for sure.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6907 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty sure OP just wants to talk about the Philippines.

In any case you can also check out http://www.jessejr.net/contact.html

If you like Pork I found in the Philippines it's pretty good, I like Pork sisig personally. Very tasty.

I also found the non philippino food prepared very well in the Philippines, everything seems cooked fresh and cheap. Also lots of fresh fish around, can't beat that.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2184 posts
183 upvotes
The food is unremarkable in every way. Love the culture, but not every culture has great food.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6621 posts
950 upvotes
I really like Max's Chicken, which has locations in Scarborough and North York.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4047 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch, open your own Filipino Resto and invite all RFD to try it. hehehe.....

By the way, Jolibee is coming to Scarborough this summer, in Kennedy and 401 area. Do you live near that area?
Last edited by cgtlky on May 21st, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4047 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
May 21st, 2017 11:57 am
I really like Max's Chicken, which has locations in Scarborough and North York.
North York or Concord? It is on the north side of steeles avenue west, I am right?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6621 posts
950 upvotes
cgtlky wrote:
May 21st, 2017 1:13 pm
North York or Concord? It is on the north side of steeles avenue west, I am right?
You're right, it's technically in Vaughan since it's north of Steeles.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4047 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
May 20th, 2017 12:01 pm

I know that Jolibee have both Spaghetti and Fries in their menu. But never see them in a combo unless you customize your combo. You are aware that Jolibee owns Greenwich Pizza, so it the Philippines you can see the 3 comes together in a meal (spaghetti, fries, pizza) if you happen to be a in foodcourt that have both Joli and Greenwich. hehehe...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9611 posts
303 upvotes
Brampton
cgtlky wrote:
May 21st, 2017 1:11 pm
Ilovejaneandfinch, open your own Filipino Resto and invite all RFD to try it. hehehe.....

By the way, Jolibee is coming to Scarborough this summer, in Kennedy and 401 area. Do you live near that area?
Ya op should open a phillipino restaurant. He has found something that can be successful in the gta. He can save franchise fees by changing the name of the restaurant a bit, but copy the food. Something like happy bees, friendly bee, or humble bees.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel