• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2019 12:30 am
Tags:
Mar 30, 2008
3 posts
4 upvotes

Why not to buy a mattress from Sleep Country Canada

Buying a mattress from Sleep Country Canada can be hazardous to your health

My wife and I now dread the nights. This night as most previous nights for several months has been a time of restlessness and torment. It all began shortly after we bought the king size mattress from Sleep Country Canada. During our first visit to the company
202 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1095 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Two reasons

1. I'm SICK and TIRED of their stupid commercial.
2. If you notice, every single commercial says "hurry! sale ends Tuesday night at 9" for the past damn 10 years
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
armenia wrote: Two reasons

1. I'm SICK and TIRED of their stupid commercial.
2. If you notice, every single commercial says "hurry! sale ends Tuesday night at 9" for the past damn 10 years
Very true....I have always noticed that! Shady marketing at it's BEST!!!
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Apr 2, 2008
16 posts
4 upvotes
After I read your story, I won't buy from them. Thanks for your post.
Banned
Mar 12, 2008
302 posts
2 upvotes
sleep is something that happens in the brain. it has nothing to do with the mattress. I have had very bad sleep all my life and a mattress has nothing to do with it. When Im sleeping well, i can sleep equally well sitting up or on a concrete floor. We dont sleep because we dont exercise and are too stressed. and dont exercise 20 minutes a day. exercise 2 hrs per day and do it intensely.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
Basically If you do not have a Good mattress
than you cannot Sleep
AS with respect to Sleep Country I didn,t like the Guy When I was Talking to him on the Telephone he was Too Rude also he was Too Pushy
He yell At me & he told me Are you looking To Buy a Mattress on the Telephone
For the love of God why you do not drive over & look to The Mattress By yourself !

I told him I am Still Under age & I am not allow to drive a Car
Here he Hang Up the Telephone Since Than I decided To look 4 a Queen Sealy Mattress in Other Place .
Oct 24, 2006
490 posts
7 upvotes
Winnipeg
I had a great experience with sleep country. The guy wasn't pushy in the least and he gave me an incredible deal. He even did a follow up call reminding me that if i don't like the mattress, I have 2 months to exchange it. I'm sorry about your experience but every company has a few garbage employees.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1478 posts
521 upvotes
GTA
May wrote: Basically If you do not have a Good mattress
than you cannot Sleep
Really makes you wonder how cavemen and other early humans functioned without any sleep. :lol:

Lots of people don't have a good mattress and sleep just fine. It's amazing what mattress marketing can do.
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11471 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
So are you now going to participate in this website?

I'm not saying that your story isn't true, it's just that nothing stops competitors from going on websites, posting once and moving on to do it somewhere else.

When these posts come from long-established members of rfd, they have a lot more weight.

[quote="sleepingugly" post_id="6641948" time="1207231638" user_id="151764"]Buying a mattress from Sleep Country Canada can be hazardous to your health

My wife and I now dread the nights. This night as most previous nights for several months has been a time of restlessness and torment. It all began shortly after we bought the king size mattress from Sleep Country Canada. During our first visit to the company
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2003
2936 posts
261 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
I"m sorry about your experience, they made what was probably from the start a pressured time sensitive stressful and expensive experience to one that is seriously bad for your health. I would consult a lawyer to help you get compensation. Here is what I would do before contacting a lawyer and what may result from it.
sleepingugly wrote: My wife and I now dread the nights. This night as most previous nights for several months has been a time of restlessness and torment. It all began shortly after we bought the king size mattress from Sleep Country Canada.
-Get your original invoice, especially with anything with warranty information/agreement on it.
During our first visit to the company
Tung(Tom)Nguyen
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2002
2654 posts
2 upvotes
i like them

they replaced a 2 year old bed because it was found defective cause the foam on the top shifted over after getting off the bed from one side all the time

replaced the box along with it too cause there was a hole in it

even gave free pillows and sheets for the inconvenience

got a newer model thats even more firm than the last

all up to the store i guess, i went to the one at warden/eglinton
Dec 12, 2002
36 posts
9 upvotes
Here's the poop on Sleep Country

They have the biggest selection, most of their salespeople are fairly knowledgeable, they have fast, free delivery.

However, they are the most expensive place to buy a mattress set. Their salespeople work on commission and are probably on average the highest paid retail workers in Canada. They average close to 50% margins overall, which is amazing for retail. How do you think they pay for all that advertising.

A lot of their marketing is "smoke and mirrors" . They price guarantee, but every model they carry is exclusive to them, so it's up to you to prove someone else has a bed that is similar, good luck convincing them of that after you've already made a purchase.

When purchasing they make up a reason to give you a discount, "there's a floor model in the warehouse that I can get you cheaper if you buy now". In fact it's probably not a floor model, its new, and there's plenty in stock, but they need to justify the discount, and create urgency, stopping you from shopping around, and thus finding out how overpriced they are.

If you decide to do a "comfort exchange", all of sudden all discounts on the next mattress you choose are out the window.
They are loath to give refunds. You have to be willing to create a huge stink, and even after getting right to the top with Christine Mcgee, you may still not get one.

They basically have no competition in Canada, and unlike their competition, they are extremely well run. Their marketing is second to none. Many people just walk in their blindly and assume they are getting a great deal and never shop around, never realizing they are being gouged.

Sears has nearly as good of a selection, but half of their salespeople are clueless. Their delivery system is slow and prone to problems. But if your willing to put up with that, know your specs, and wait for a sale, then buy from them, you will save money.
And if you have a problem with the set, their return and exchange policy is much more liberal.

Just my 2 cents.
Feb 25, 2008
60 posts
Thanks for THE HEADS UP ON THIS CO!!!!!! Any company should have given you a replacement, no questions asked.

PS got a good mattress off of Freecycle who were updating theirs.
Apr 4, 2008
28 posts
2 upvotes
Kanata
We got our bed from sleep country in Toronto on Yonge Street and were treated well. It was the last day of the mix and match sale, and the discount they were advertising was about 30% off, so we found a bed we liked and threated to walk out, and got another 15% off and got a brand new set (not a mix and match).

The bed's been great so far, no complaints, was delivered when they said it would be. I declined everything else they offered -- frame (got it from a brick outlet for 2/3 the price at SC), bedding, extra warranty -- and stuck to just the bed.

When you deal with people on commission, as long as you know what to expect, you can get a good deal, just don't be shy to say you're looking around and don't be afraid to walk out... cause your deal usually sweetens once you decide to look in another store.
Mar 30, 2008
3 posts
4 upvotes
Many thanks to all for their excellent comments. Tman: I'am overwhelmed by your kind concern and useful advice. As for the mattress it is a Beautyrest and the salesman called it the Rolls Royce of all mattresses. Yesterday was our 35th anniversary and I managed to lessen the discomfort by covering the defective mattress with two old comforters. I have contacted Sleep Country Canada again and they promised to consider the matter anew. I will keep you posted of further developments. Thanks again
May 18, 2007
4 posts
Montreal
I bought a mattress at this place. The service was very good, the price was excellent.

I have the mattress for a couple of months and I enjoyed it.

I recommend this store.
Aug 25, 2006
836 posts
166 upvotes
I went to the sleep country store in markham location on the weekend. I didn't like the service. They are just too pushy. They constantly said they are the lowest price and other company buy from them. Well they definally did not offer me the lowest price, I walk across to Sears and found the same mattress for 100 less.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
eejit wrote: Here's the poop on Sleep Country

<chop chop chop>

Sears has nearly as good of a selection, but half of their salespeople are clueless. Their delivery system is slow and prone to problems. But if your willing to put up with that, know your specs, and wait for a sale, then buy from them, you will save money.
And if you have a problem with the set, their return and exchange policy is much more liberal.

Just my 2 cents.
and I'll add another 2 cents.

You don't have to wait for a sears sale. Pick up a mattress for 1/2 price at their outlet centers: http://www.sears.ca/gp/browse.html/ref= ... HFRJZ0GJG3

The one in Burnaby has 30+ double/queens/kings on a weekly basis. Yes, you can't refund/exchange so spend some time in the store to figure out what you need ... and save hundreds, this is RFD.

Or try a local firm like http://www.parkersmattress.com here in greater Vancouver.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
If you buy a mattress from The Bay, and then want to exchange it for another one, they will tell you its not allowed due to the hygiene issue. So try it out in the store before you buy it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)