Shopping Discussion

Why Oh Why Does Dental Floss Cost So Much??

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 12:18 am
Jul 25, 2010
482 posts
187 upvotes
Beachdown wrote: My dentist specifically recommended it. Xylitol prevents tooth decay. It's a scientific fact. It doesn't replace flossing entirely, but it works. And I guess I prove that out because since I started using it, I've had better check-ups than ever.

Waterpik works great for people that have permanent retainers.
Haha yeah but your original post said to "ditch the floss" which I would highly NOT recommend. Xylitol can never overcome the problem of having plaque on the interproximals of your teeth. Your dentist recommended you xylitol gum, and maybe you start chewing it regularly. But were you chewing sugar-free gum before with the same schedule/regularity? There isn't going to be THAT significant benefit of having xylitol over other sugar alternatives. The mere habit of now chewing gum after meals can help to remove plaque and foodstuffs around your teeth leading to better checkups and reduced gingivitis.

Waterpik's greatest asset is in its ability to improve patient compliance, in my opinion. There are ways to floss permanent retainers but most people find it too bothersome.
Jul 18, 2013
2 posts
1 upvote
Bordello wrote: I can't believe I'm reading a thread about this. This takes frugal/cheap to a whole new low.

It costs around $2 for 2-3 months supply. If your finances are suffering from this exorbitant expense then you need to get some help asap.
Nice one!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
Floss isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things. You can frequently get it at SDM on sale. The key to buying things like this is to stock up when it is on sale. You use it every day, and it doesn't go bad so just stock up. I have a pantry cupboard in the basement with my stockpiles of everyday items. It is so much easier to run downstairs to get another pack than to have to run out to the store and pay full price.

Lately, I've been buying Butler Mint Waxed Dental Floss, 115 yds for $1 at Dollar Tree in the US. I also have a couple of packs of 55 yd packs of Johnson & Johnson that I must have picked up there too for $1.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
Cheap Cat wrote: Floss isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things. You can frequently get it at SDM on sale. The key to buying things like this is to stock up when it is on sale. You use it every day, and it doesn't go bad so just stock up. I have a pantry cupboard in the basement with my stockpiles of everyday items. It is so much easier to run downstairs to get another pack than to have to run out to the store and pay full price.

Lately, I've been buying Butler Mint Waxed Dental Floss, 115 yds for $1 at Dollar Tree in the US. I also have a couple of packs of 55 yd packs of Johnson & Johnson that I must have picked up there too for $1.
Pretty good price on the Butler DF from Dollar Tree in the US Cheap Cat. Too bad it's in the States though...
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
So London Drugs has the Butler GUM 200 yard floss (and other "premium" Butler flosses) on for $1.99 if you buy more than two. There's no end date to the sale, but they have a flyer that goes until July 31, so I'm thinking the sale's good until then. That's a pretty good price point, so we'll be stocking up...

http://www.londondrugs.com/on/demandwar ... al%20floss

We still have gift cards from the Neutrogena promotion LD had a week or so back, so we can get around 12 and that will net about 0.99 for each pack. Certainly a good deal. Does DF have an expiration date? I don't think so...
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
OP,not sure where you are but Loblaws has a deal starting today. If no Loblaws near you RCSS may have a similar deal within the next few weeks.

Flyer has buy 3 P&G products totalling 10 dollars after tax and save $3. P & G Brandsaver is out today and in local weekend newspapers. Brandsaver.ca can also be mailed to your home.

There is a potential of free floss, when you buy floss, toothpaste (example) and mouthwash (example).

Loblaws flyer at loblaws.ca
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
coupondiva2012 wrote: OP,not sure where you are but Loblaws has a deal starting today. If no Loblaws near you RCSS may have a similar deal within the next few weeks.

Flyer has buy 3 P&G products totalling 10 dollars after tax and save $3. P & G Brandsaver is out today and in local weekend newspapers. Brandsaver.ca can also be mailed to your home.

There is a potential of free floss, when you buy floss, toothpaste (example) and mouthwash (example).

Loblaws flyer at loblaws.ca
Thanks Coupon Diva, but I don't know if that works out great. The Brandsaver insert (which I have) gives you $4.50 off on three *Super Premium* Crest toothpastes and/or Dental Rinses. The RCSS has those on for about $4 each, but then you also have to buy the Glide DF in with those other three products to get the $4.50 off. I don't know how much that is as it's not on sale, but it's typically expensive, so let's say it's $4 also. So it's $16 minus $3 minus $4.50 so it's $8.50 in total.

I think just for the $1 off Crest toothpaste (also one of those Brandsaver coupons) would be a pretty good deal if the RCSS would let you buy enough with multiple coupons to total $10. But RCSS (at least around here) doesn't let you use multiple coupons for purchases as a rule. Unless you're lucky and find someone really nice. :-)
Mar 30, 2013
32 posts
10 upvotes
The J&J call in coupons have a $2 off Reach coupon. Reach floss goes for around $2 at Wal-Mart a lot, so it'd just be taxes for that. You can get 2 coupons a month, so 2 dirt cheap things of floss a month.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
TeaForEveryMeal wrote: The J&J call in coupons have a $2 off Reach coupon. Reach floss goes for around $2 at Wal-Mart a lot, so it'd just be taxes for that. You can get 2 coupons a month, so 2 dirt cheap things of floss a month.
Are you saying that I can call J&J once a month and get $2 off Reach DF coupons? That would be great if it's true. The big size is around $3.50, even at Staples of all places.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
So I called J&J today and they said they don't do call-in coupons any longer. The guy I spoke to said "henceforward" (is that even a word?) all their coupons would be on the Healthy Essentials site. I said but there aren't any dental floss coupons there. But he said there was nothing he could do and, of course, he was very, very sorry.

On the good side, my husband went into London Drugs today and bought a bunch of Butler 200 yard dental flosses that are on for $1.99 each if you buy more than two. As I said previously, we still had gift cards that went along with coupons we used with a prior promotion London Drugs had for Neutrogena products that involved, basically, perpetual gift cards. So the remaining $12 and change in gift cards we still had were basically free. We put that toward the dental floss and bought 12 in total, which came to $14.58 with tax and after the gift cards we taken off. Pro-rated that's $1.22 each. A great deal!

Honestly, I believe that sometimes when you put it out there that you're looking for a deal on something, it happens. That appears to be the case here because I hadn't seen that $1.99 price point for ages. And certainly not when I had gift cards too that cost me nothing. So thanks to everyone who posted, because you helped me get my dental floss for a bargain price!
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
TheHans wrote: I'm pretty sure if I bide my time, I could find *some* brand of 200 yard (183 metres) floss (Johnson and Johnson, Butler GUM or maybe no-name Wal-Mart) on for $1.99. But honestly that might be wishful thinking. Generally if you're lucky, it's $2.99.
Starting Friday. Costco has Glide 6 pack floss on sale, making it $1.99 each.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
Bordello wrote: I can't believe I'm reading a thread about this. This takes frugal/cheap to a whole new low.

It costs around $2 for 2-3 months supply. If your finances are suffering from this exorbitant expense then you need to get some help asap.
I'm thinking the exact same thing!!!!!
+1
Oct 11, 2011
73 posts
16 upvotes
WATERLOO
I typically buy dental floss at Dollarama. It's their store brand but is waxed and has the minty flavour.

Just checked and it's 120 yds.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
So OP I don't know how much you are spending but if it is as much as you say I'd look into getting a Waterpik system or similar.

Myself of course, I have not flossed outside the dentist office in 35 years, so what do I know.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Sep 23, 2013
79 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
you should ask why all the dental things are so expensive .....well because it`s dental...even you do the deep cleaning for the gum and teeth it also cost a lot, unless you got the company insurrence plan that actually covered
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
Up and Up dental floss is now $ 0.44 at Target during liquidation
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
I've had the same dental floss for 4 years... that's pretty cheap IMO
Mar 27, 2007
534 posts
40 upvotes
Okanagan
This post is ancient. Like mentioned, someone asks about something and someone else finds it. Floss is reduced at Costco West this week. 6 for $12.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7092 upvotes
West GTEH!
can2do wrote: This post is ancient. Like mentioned, someone asks about something and someone else finds it. Floss is reduced at Costco West this week. 6 for $12.
+1. Oral-B Glide Pro-Health dental floss on sale this week @Costco. $11.99 for 6 pack.
😎