Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 17, 2013
219 posts
76 upvotes
Newmarket, ON

Why one need a $600 tripod??

Sorry I am a NOOB but there are tripod available for 50-60 bucks that can do the job then why spend more. how one can justify the cost. Kindly shed some light on it.
24 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1517 upvotes
Markham, ON
cause a high end camera is thousands of dollars....add a thousand of $ in lens...why use a non-sturdy tripod?

Yes a crappy tripod will blow over especially if you know how heavy high end equipment are...

light material tripods are also pretty expensive cause it weights so little.

Lastly a tripod (good one)...should last you for generations...you can pass it on to your kids
Nov 12, 2012
611 posts
269 upvotes
Calgary
Not that I would ever try it, but the sales guy fully supported his weight on the floor model of my tripod. Sure it bowed a little bit, but that was easily 4x over the max weight according to the specs. Try that on a $60 tripod.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2011
1139 posts
187 upvotes
Depends on your camera, if its light and cheap sure, a 10$ one can probably even suffice, but if its a fullframe or a red then you must define can do the job, define why spend more, then justify your question and answer about cost.
WESTNYLEFX
THE COMPUTER GURU.
Mar 10, 2004
22 posts
1 upvote
You can buy a nice tripod for $300 bucks. The more expensive tripods feature more exotic materials like carbon fiber, which cost more.
links to your own website are not allowed in signatures. you may link to your gallery on public photo sharing websites.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
I suppose you think a $2500 70-200mm lens is overprice when a $400 75-300mm lens does the same thing?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11314 posts
4616 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You might think that the $80 'pod is steady... try doing a long exposure (longer than 10 seconds) with both 'pods and compare the sharpness. The more expensive 'pod will be sharper.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3433 posts
675 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Nov 28th, 2014 7:09 pm
You might think that the $80 'pod is steady... try doing a long exposure (longer than 10 seconds) with both 'pods and compare the sharpness. The more expensive 'pod will be sharper.
I can't see there being a difference. I just did a 30 second shot last night (Xmas stuff) , set it on a timer, stood around and waited. Turned out fine on my "cheapo" tripod.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1110 posts
235 upvotes
some people like the peace of mind that it can support expensive equipment (see the first reply)
in reality better/tighter vibration control, even from wind, lighter materials, stronger materials to support more weight, sometimes better features like going lower to the ground. Part of it is also people will pay the premium and no one is coming into the market with similar quality product and selling it for super cheap because there isn't enough volume in sales to survive that way. Get what is good for you, there will always something better but the more you spend the more you will face diminishing returns to the value you see unless this is your career where your livelihood could at times depend on the quality of the equipment you are using along with your your skills.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11314 posts
4616 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tkl wrote:
Nov 28th, 2014 7:37 pm
I can't see there being a difference. I just did a 30 second shot last night (Xmas stuff) , set it on a timer, stood around and waited. Turned out fine on my "cheapo" tripod.
Christmas and cityscapes are relatively easy to do as the bright lights don't need too much precision.

Try going out to the Grand Canyon and taking some moon-lit shots of the canyon with a slight breeze (10 to 20 mph winds) in the middle of Winter.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2013
219 posts
76 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 28th, 2014 3:12 pm
cause a high end camera is thousands of dollars....add a thousand of $ in lens...why use a non-sturdy tripod?

Yes a crappy tripod will blow over especially if you know how heavy high end equipment are...

light material tripods are also pretty expensive cause it weights so little.

Lastly a tripod (good one)...should last you for generations...you can pass it on to your kids
makes sense, thank you.
veryboredguy wrote:
Nov 29th, 2014 12:55 am
some people like the peace of mind that it can support expensive equipment (see the first reply)
in reality better/tighter vibration control, even from wind, lighter materials, stronger materials to support more weight, sometimes better features like going lower to the ground. Part of it is also people will pay the premium and no one is coming into the market with similar quality product and selling it for super cheap because there isn't enough volume in sales to survive that way. Get what is good for you, there will always something better but the more you spend the more you will face diminishing returns to the value you see unless this is your career where your livelihood could at times depend on the quality of the equipment you are using along with your your skills.
that sums it up, thank you
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1467 upvotes
Pickering
Taking pics of bright Christmas lights in a subdivision is not the same as taking a pic of a moonlit tree on a hill in the middle of nowhere. My first cheap tripod resonated horribly and produced blurry pictures. The second tripod was more sturdy but with a 24-70 Canon L lens on it, it was nose heavy and wanted to move slowly by itself.

Now I have an Arca Swiss ball head and a set of Gitzo 6X systematic legs. Shooting in the breeze is very easy and I can set up faster. It says it can support 80 lbs, it can support triple that, not that I need it.

If you don't pixel peek, you might not notice the difference on all but the cheapest tripod.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1666 posts
698 upvotes
There are a lot of misconceptions in this area. E.g. "you need very expensive tripod for long exposures". Not always true. The shot below was made daytime with a 7 minute exposure (using 16-stop ND filter) with a 60$ tripod from Walmart. What's more, it was very windy on that day:

ImageUntitled by syamastro, on Flickr

Of course, it helped a great deal that it is a UWA lens. With a telephoto things quickly start falling apart (not literally!). But even with something like 300mm equivalent focal length (200mm on a crop) I expect top get tack-sharp photos up to a few seconds if I do it right (mirror is locked up, and I use a wireless shutter trigger) with my cheap tripod.

You definitely need an expensive (sturdy) tripod when using heavy gear (say more than 3kg - camera + lens), and when you are a pro and need the ability to quickly put up the tripod or put it away.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
Was gonna post this.

It boils down to strength/weight ratio. You can get away with a very decent tripod about $2-300, but it might not be really light.

Those who shoot very long (birding, wildlife, etc) with really heavy lenses will require stronger tripods.