• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2014 5:47 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 6, 2008
211 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
I read this article too. He has some good points there. However, I don't think everyone should be buying a Really Right Stuff tripod legs and ball head. Don't get me wrong, Really Right Stuff sure makes some good products, but I also believe that other brands can also offer good tripods/ball heads for less than what Really Right Stuffs charges. Oben (B&H own brand) seems to offer good products for less. The CT-2491 carbon fibre legs and the BC-166 should be fine for many of us in my opinion.

What I am trying to say is that one should buy the best one can afford. One of my friends like to say that when it comes to tools, it's better to cry once, and smile many times. But one should not necessarily buy the most expensive tripod legs and ball head to get excellent support for their gear.
Sep 25, 2006
598 posts
58 upvotes
Ottawa
Quality tripod provides stability which is essentially why you get a tripod. Don't forget, that a good tripod requires a good head. Flaking on the head really makes your tripod useless. Manfrotto is a great brand and their 055proxb is great. Cost around $300. The higher end model similar will be lighter as it is made of carbon fibre instead of aluminum.

I can beat you senseless with my 055xprob and it will still look and work like new.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Quanger wrote:
Dec 1st, 2014 2:51 am
Quality tripod provides stability which is essentially why you get a tripod. Don't forget, that a good tripod requires a good head. Flaking on the head really makes your tripod useless. Manfrotto is a great brand and their 055proxb is great. Cost around $300. The higher end model similar will be lighter as it is made of carbon fibre instead of aluminum.

I can beat you senseless with my 055xprob and it will still look and work like new.
LoL funniest usage for a tripod I have ever read! :D

I guess if you're ever doing time lapse photography at night at a remote location, you could use your tripod as a last resort weapon? hehe
Nov 6, 2008
211 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
CSAgent wrote:
Dec 1st, 2014 3:26 am

I guess if you're ever doing time lapse photography at night at a remote location, you could use your tripod as a last resort weapon? hehe
It's funny, but I do think of my tripod this way whenever I am in a "less secure" location.
Feb 20, 2012
4 posts
Coquitlam
It all depends on what you need.

For the past couple of years I have been using my Gitzo GT3532LS/Acratech GP/RRS PG-02 Pro pano setup with my D800/150mm 2.8. Awesome set-up for what I needed, incredibly stable in rivers, high wind, anywhere really...

Currently I am using a ultra lightweight (2 pounds with the head and Acratech lever clamp) Giottos VGRN-8224 S1 tripod with my Ricoh GR for some forest photography. I just had my bag off it for a little more stability. It works just fine with my D800/50mm in most situations as well.

Everything has it's place, you just need to determine your needs.
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
813 upvotes
Calgary
robbyp17 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2014 2:49 pm
Sorry I am a NOOB but there are tripod available for 50-60 bucks that can do the job then why spend more. how one can justify the cost. Kindly shed some light on it.
I use a $1200 Manfrotto Tripod daily at work and have to say you pay the premium for the materials used. It is just pure quality, everything from the hinges to the latches, head, knobs, etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2451 posts
642 upvotes
Kingston
Eh....I have a lightweight dolica tripod that didn't cost a fortune that works exceptionally well. I'm more likely to have it with me as it doesn't weigh a lot. Before that I had a fancy dancy manfrotto with a really good head but I only used it for portraits as it was too heavy to take anywhere. I can't bring myself to spend a fortune on a tripod as they all basically do the same thing. Snob value wise some might make you feel better and some really cheap ones are not going to last any time. There's plenty of cheaper tripods around 150 ish now that do the job just fine, just read reviews and don't get sucked into always getting the top name brand stuff.
Oct 12, 2014
98 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do u hav knowledge of any economical one?
Nov 6, 2008
211 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
Build quality is great, much better than the Dolica I bought (and returned) from Costco. The one thing that is nicer with the Dolica is...weight. The Oben combination weighs 2.49 kg whereas the Dolica weighs 1.5 kg. The Oben ball head alone weighs 0.9 kg...heavy!

I am starting to believe that ideally, one should have a light tripod and a heavy tripod.