Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
2949 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver

Why are people scared of skunks?

I was sitting on my balcony watching a skunk walk by in the alley below (skunks are everywhere here). a group of 4 large male college kids were walking by and spotted the skunk in their way. They tried to go around and the skunk and it walked a little towards them. Then they start screaming and running away.

WTH? People are so afraid of getting sprayed they dont seem to realize that they are 10 times larger than a skunk. Would you not be scared of an animal that was 10 times larger than you? Especially when your only defense is a bad smell. When I come across skunks in my way on the sidewalk (which is multiple times a week). I simply walk towards it. Once I get close, It raises its tail and hisses at me. Thats when you just stand your ground and growl back at it. 5 seconds later its going to back down and get out of your way. It knows your 10 times its size. It knows that its spray is a defense, not an offense. I find it hilarious when people will cross the street or run to avoid it.

If people would just stop being stupid and running from them, maybe they wouldnt be walking around the damn neighbourhood like they own the place. So how do you handle skunk encounters?
71 replies
Banned
Jan 4, 2009
2765 posts
199 upvotes
The next time you challenge a Skunk and it sprays you, you will know why.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2009
1633 posts
317 upvotes
007craft wrote:
Aug 28th, 2012 1:36 pm
I was sitting on my balcony watching a skunk walk by in the alley below (skunks are everywhere here). a group of 4 large male college kids were walking by and spotted the skunk in their way. They tried to go around and the skunk and it walked a little towards them. Then they start screaming and running away.

WTH? People are so afraid of getting sprayed they dont seem to realize that they are 10 times larger than a skunk. Would you not be scared of an animal that was 10 times larger than you? Especially when your only defense is a bad smell. When I come across skunks in my way on the sidewalk (which is multiple times a week). I simply walk towards it. Once I get close, It raises its tail and hisses at me. Thats when you just stand your ground and growl back at it. 5 seconds later its going to back down and get out of your way. It knows your 10 times its size. It knows that its spray is a defense, not an offense. I find it hilarious when people will cross the street or run to avoid it.

If people would just stop being stupid and running from them, maybe they wouldnt be walking around the damn neighbourhood like they own the place. So how do you handle skunk encounters?
Lmao. This can't be serious.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
78 upvotes
When I come across skunks in my way on the sidewalk (which is multiple times a week). I simply walk towards it. Once I get close, It raises its tail and hisses at me. Thats when you just stand your ground and growl back at it.
This is insane, and you are eventually going to get sprayed. And I will laugh and laugh.

Who do you think looks crazier? The guy who sees a skunk and avoids it, or the lunatic standing there having an argument with that skunk?
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:42 am
LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 12:34 pm
$5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2700 posts
233 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Ever since that morning I went downstairs in my highrise apartment building and smelled the scent after someone got sprayed, I will never come close to a skunk again. It literally took 3 full days for that scent to dissipate on all floors of the building. Once the scent was in the elevator shaft it was all over. I see that same family of skunks just about every morning when I take my dog for a walk or I am going to the gym.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8470 posts
1307 upvotes
Somewhere
high content thread

will read again to check responses

i run away and scream like a 8 year old catholic school girl when i see a skunk.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3798 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
In before the skunk spray!
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2007
1377 posts
94 upvotes
Close encounters with skunk are equivalent to having someone point a gun at your head - I fear for my life.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8418 posts
13400 upvotes
I used to live in an old neighbourhood where there was a family of skunks. They would often walk by me at a distance of 8 ft and I never had problem.
Skunks spray when they are startled/scared. And if they are going to spray - there are pre-spray warnings.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2011
4225 posts
55 upvotes
NORTH YORK
LaserEnvy wrote:
Aug 28th, 2012 1:43 pm
The next time you challenge a Skunk and it sprays you, you will know why.
correct. May be OP is new in Canada.
007craft wrote:

HeeHee.
"Internet is serious business" HeeHeeHee.
Losers/trolls waste time posting this "I don't feel like wasting time researching nonsense and trying to disprove the collective theories of a group of people that do not have, or deserve, even the tiniest shred of credibility. I'd rather amuse myself."
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2669 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
007craft wrote:

Such a stupid reason to start a thread.. BUT I completely agree with you. Especially on the bolded part.
I'm not scared of them either, I also tend to get pretty close to them, and I growl at them if one happens to try and be brave around me. But I'd run like hell if I saw its tail go up, because I don't want to smell bad. I'd have to take a day or two off work and girls would think I just stink, not that I got sprayed by a skunk.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
2949 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow. Lots of pansies here lol. comparing a skunk spray to a gun, really?

And Ive been living in Canada for 27 years now and in this neghbourhood for 2 doing this and have not been sprayed once. Perhaps some of you should grow a pair and try standing your ground before you knock it. Skunks spray in defense. Unless youre going to attack it or invade its territory, its never going to spray you. BTW, the sidewalk is not its territory, unless its eating something on the sidewalk.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23279 posts
1438 upvotes
Markham
Soon "HELP I GOT SPRAYED BY A SKUNK"
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1189 posts
41 upvotes
Ive never seen a skunk before. And I live downtown.. I see my fair share of raccoons though but they are pretty cute looking.
× < >