• Apr 3rd, 2014 4:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 25, 2013
44 posts
1 upvote

Why are phones getting so big?

I understand people are consuming more media on their phones these days but why do the high end phones always have to be so big? Why cant they release a smaller phone with the same high end specs? not watered down specs. A lot of these newer flagship phones are almost the same size as tablets.
55 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9437 posts
883 upvotes
because resolution on the screens are getting higher
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2714 posts
301 upvotes
That's what the new Xperia Z1 Compact is. All the specs of a high end phone on a smaller 4" screen with pretty good battery life.

But if you watch Netflix, play a game, browse a desktop-size webpage, its all very hard to do on a small screen. After getting my tablet, I can do a lot of things I just can't do even on my 4.X" Galaxy S3. It is really painful to browse desktop sites, Netflix is annoying to watch for more than 5-10 minutes etc. I actually do things on Android now that I just never did when I only had my phone.

Anyway, if that is what you want, Sony has made it. The question is, will it be released in Canada?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2392 posts
293 upvotes
Joliette
Looks like we're getting to the limits of increasing screens at around 5"... if you wanted smaller you're pretty screwed. They like them because a big screen flashier than a phone with a smaller one and you can fit a bigger battery since you need a big body for a large screened phone anyway.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2085 posts
135 upvotes
At least people on RFD should not be surprised. Have a look and see who is using those big phones in Toronto.
Plus the demand is high. Manufacturers job is to provide what market demands.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3105 posts
301 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ughhhh wrote:
Feb 26th, 2014 7:55 pm
I understand people are consuming more media on their phones these days but why do the high end phones always have to be so big? Why cant they release a smaller phone with the same high end specs? not watered down specs. A lot of these newer flagship phones are almost the same size as tablets.
For the phone that we are used to put it close to our ear, the size has not increased that much. But we are using it as a media center and as a computer. It is the other purpose that we collectively require the cell to be larger.
I have an old view sonic 7 which is a 7" phone - that is how large it can go.
IPhone has all the high end features. But it fails miserably if people want to surf.
All except Apple have made their flagship bigger than iPhone. They did all the research confirming what consumers want

Daniel
Daniel

Consumers pay for the locking up (and subsequent unlocking) of their cell. That sucks
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11391 posts
2085 upvotes
Toronto
Because they were previously too small?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
16139 posts
3585 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2014 9:24 pm
Because they were previously too small?
So much this.
Even my N4 is too small.
Good thing the only thing I use it for is tethering.
All my real work is one on my N7. If I could make phone calls on it (natively) I would.
Hell I had a Galaxy Tab for the longest time as my phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3437 posts
200 upvotes
Markham
ughhhh wrote:
Feb 26th, 2014 7:55 pm
but why do the high end phones always have to be so big.
you mean Iphone is not high end?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15413 posts
799 upvotes
Woodbridge
Social Network and Media. It demands a bigger display.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11391 posts
2085 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 26th, 2014 9:51 pm
So much this.
Even my N4 is too small.
Good thing the only thing I use it for is tethering.
All my real work is one on my N7. If I could make phone calls on it (natively) I would.
Hell I had a Galaxy Tab for the longest time as my phone.
You can make phone calls on the N7 if it has a cell radio. Use voip app and data to make calls. The call quality should be great on LTE and good on 3G.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6893 posts
681 upvotes
Ontario
Think of it like a curve.
They started large and bulky, got smaller and smaller, now going back to bulky.
I think I saw a study that suggested larger cell phone use will invariably change our DNA so that future generations will have freakishly large hands.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1445 posts
116 upvotes
same reason computer monitors are now upwards of 20" plus...people are using social media, ecommerce more now than ever, and you simply cannot do that on the smaller screens. I am sure there will be small ones available still, but consumers have spoken
× < >