Cell Phones

Why is Rogers wireless service so much cheaper in QC?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2017 9:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
2546 posts
1705 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Why is Rogers wireless service so much cheaper in QC?

I was checking Rogers wireless plans today and for some reason i was sent to the QC site. I was shocked at the price difference after I realized it was QC and switched back to ON.

For the same phone(let's say S8), the QC price for 7GB is $87, yet in ON, price for 3GB is $105 and 7GB is $130. WTF??

I know they don't call em Robbers for no reason, but that's a huge difference...

34 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2738 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
coz videotron
FS/FT: none atm
Mar 17, 2009
131 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga
I just compared my Virgin plan in Ontario with other provinces - seems I would be getting a MUCH better deal in SK, MB, and QC.

I know what the answer to the question I have in my head is.... "local competition" being the answer, but I can't help but feel annoyed at this.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4698 posts
1368 upvotes
Canada
Provinces like Manitoba, Quebec, Saskatchewan have a genuine 4th provider which creates a bit of competition
BC, Alberta, Ontario have Freedom, but Big 3 don't really view that as a threat (yet). Shaw has been really slow in growing the network. With a company as big and cash rich as shaw, Freedom could have been at a whole different level, but no
May 8, 2009
1877 posts
524 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Nothing is stopping you from maintaining a QC number with the carrier of your choice. Need a local number? Port your local number to Fongo (or activate a local number on Virgin or Fido prepaid, then port to Fongo) and get free call forwarding for life.

If you can't be bothered to maintain two numbers, do the Koodo loophole (or Telus, but YMMV).

Not good enough? Make a trip to MTL (or even Ottawa) and switch to Videotron.

Going multiline on shared data plan? Stack all your data on an SK/MB/QC number, and add local numbers as added lines (less of a price difference). Have a family member use the out of province number who has the least need for a local number.

Thing is, you have options. Carriers can offer select deals in select sub-markets and restrict it by setting qualifiers, but fortunately you have RFD to help you out.

Fact is, no one is stopping you from using a QC number on your cellphone, and filing income tax in another province. Wireless providers do not communicate with the CRA, so it's all good!

I have a QC cell number for obvious reasons, and save $400-500 per year. When I get asked my number, they often assume area code 613 (in Ottawa), but I don't mind correcting them. I could maintain a 613 number via an app (I have some 613 # on VoIP), but can't be bothered to give 'em out. Those who ask my number aren't paying my cellphone bill, so their assumption is not my problem. Only calls I get from landlines are businesses, and if they want my business, they don't care what area code they dial.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Mar 22, 2013
902 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
Because of competition man. It's so not fair, what you gonna do about it?
====================================

Samsung S8+ (Black)

Koodo Mobile
$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan

====================================
May 8, 2009
1877 posts
524 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
myinglin0318 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 1:46 pm
Because of competition man. It's so not fair, what you gonna do about it?
Like I said, no one is stopping anybody from using an out of province number. Cellphone providers do not validate residency with the CRA. You can maintain a local number from most Canadian cities on Fongo at no monthly cost. No point in complaining.

Not only that, if your local number is enabling your lucrative business activities, then again, complaining is in vain.

QC plans for the win!
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Mar 17, 2009
131 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga
Last time I checked, though... the cellphone providers check your ID for your address - at least if you are going on a contract/plan.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1239 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
bratman wrote:
Aug 20th, 2017 10:01 am
Last time I checked, though... the cellphone providers check your ID for your address - at least if you are going on a contract/plan.
Even if they do check you ID, having a number from another city is not illegal and you could have your reasons to have it.

My sister moved to Toronto last year and she had no reason to no keep her Montreal number. And most people she knows are in Montreal anyway.
May 8, 2009
1877 posts
524 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
darkman007e wrote:
Aug 20th, 2017 11:53 am
Even if they do check you ID, having a number from another city is not illegal and you could have your reasons to have it.

My sister moved to Toronto last year and she had no reason to no keep her Montreal number. And most people she knows are in Montreal anyway.
Your sister has an awesome reason to keep her MTL number despite now living in Toronto, and that's to keep her on cheaper cellphone plans.
hvwozq wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 3:42 am
You don’t need any reason or justification.
Agreed. CRTC says you can take your Canadian number to any Canadian carrier, without any residency requirements. Retailers may try to mitigate this on post-paid wireless activations due to region-specific offers, but nothing stops you from bringing your number. Koodo will block port-ins of out of province phone numbers at the time of activation, but won't stop you from porting 'em in via self-serve after the fact.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16629 posts
1043 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It would be nice if this we competition that would last but I dear the prices are artificially low in those provinces to push out the competition.

Would be nice if all companies involved we're forced to keep thier low prices of one of the companies can't continue to compete.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1127 posts
72 upvotes
Here
Evil Baby wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 5:24 pm
It would be nice if this we competition that would last but I dear the prices are artificially low in those provinces to push out the competition.

Would be nice if all companies involved we're forced to keep thier low prices of one of the companies can't continue to compete.
The CRTC really needs to help us with this, but they don't.

The cell phone companies collude to rip off Canadians.
May 8, 2009
1877 posts
524 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 8:33 pm
The CRTC really needs to help us with this, but they don't.

The cell phone companies collude to rip off Canadians.
Only solution the CRTC could enable that'd fix all this would be to set tarifs for resale. There are few MVNO's in Canada. If anyone could startup a wireless MVNO, we'd see drastic price reductions.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1127 posts
72 upvotes
Here
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 11:50 pm
Only solution the CRTC could enable that'd fix all this would be to set tarifs for resale. There are few MVNO's in Canada. If anyone could startup a wireless MVNO, we'd see drastic price reductions.
There are few MVNOs because CRTC decided they aren't allowed to operate because of objection from Rogers and other carriers. Sugar Mobile is one good example. Another one is TextNow/2ndLine which is based in Canada but sells services mostly in the US.

We basically need the market opened up. It's similar to how long distance and other wireline telecom got deregulated in the 1980s.