Cell Phones

Why is Rogers wireless service so much cheaper in QC?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2017 9:18 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1368 posts
148 upvotes
Kitchener
batcave wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 12:01 am
There are few MVNOs because CRTC decided they aren't allowed to operate because of objection from Rogers and other carriers. Sugar Mobile is one good example. Another one is TextNow/2ndLine which is based in Canada but sells services mostly in the US.

We basically need the market opened up. It's similar to how long distance and other wireline telecom got deregulated in the 1980s.
How does the public then shame/motivate the CRTC into action to do this in a way that makes them more worried about angering the public than what their corporate masters would do/think?
May 8, 2009
1893 posts
530 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 12:01 am
There are few MVNOs because CRTC decided they aren't allowed to operate because of objection from Rogers and other carriers. Sugar Mobile is one good example. Another one is TextNow/2ndLine which is based in Canada but sells services mostly in the US.

We basically need the market opened up. It's similar to how long distance and other wireline telecom got deregulated in the 1980s.
Agreed. Only way we'll get true nation-wide competition is if the CRTC mandates tarifs for the MVNO's.

As it is, wireless carriers can hardly justify their operational costs. Many towers have already been paid off many times over and most of the call centres are offshore. Only reason rate plans are so expensive is due to a lack of competition.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9896 posts
2335 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Obviously it's because of competition in QC and lack of competition elsewhere. Or rather, collusion elsewhere.

When the government agency responsible for policing activities like collusion (Competition Bureau), publicly states that the large carriers coordinate, that is work together, to inflate prices and keep them high, and then walks away and does nothing, clearly the system is broken. In fact, IIRC correctly, they made these statements while discussing how strong, independent regional carriers force lower prices because of competition instead of coordination and then rubber stamped the elimination of such competition in Manitoba anyway. When the head of the CRTC waits 5 years, until the last few weeks of his term, to lift a single finger against the carriers even then it is a flaccid change about locks, there is no hope for any positive change from that side of regulators either.
Last edited by ceredon on Aug 22nd, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Apr 20, 2015
85 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Why would the CRTC want to help Canadians they are all ex big three employees with shares and stakes in these companies. They don't want competition because than they lose money. What better way to control the market than putting in share holders into the CRTC. Every once in a while they will do something for us just to maintain the illusion that they do something.
May 8, 2009
1893 posts
530 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Pisidan wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 11:23 am
Why would the CRTC want to help Canadians they are all ex big three employees with shares and stakes in these companies. They don't want competition because than they lose money. What better way to control the market than putting in share holders into the CRTC. Every once in a while they will do something for us just to maintain the illusion that they do something.
Perfect example of this is the $25 starter TV package. Carriers found other ways of recovering from the rate plan difference (hardware costs, install fees, etc.). I'm still suspecting the free unlocks as of December 1st will sting the market negatively as carriers will find other ways to recover the revenue loss on roaming and overage fees.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9896 posts
2335 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
batcave wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 2:04 pm
They are running an oligopoly. We should all be reporting them to the competition bureau.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... f/eng/home
Competition Bureau has already acknowledged their co-ordination. Clearly, that wasn't enough for them to take action. Maybe flooding them with complaints will do something, especially since the CB's mandate is to act on complaints. **

**Their mandate is also to encourage competition and protect consumers from abusive market power, yet they completely failed in this responsibility with Bell/MTS, so no real hope of any meaningful investigation/action.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1127 posts
72 upvotes
Here
ceredon wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 2:39 pm
Competition Bureau has already acknowledged their co-ordination. Clearly, that wasn't enough for them to take action. Maybe flooding them with complaints will do something, especially since the CB's mandate is to act on complaints. **

**Their mandate is also to encourage competition and protect consumers from abusive market power, yet they completely failed in this responsibility with Bell/MTS, so no real hope of any meaningful investigation/action.
This was also the case when they allowed Rogers to buy Fido.

I just filed one against Rogers. I will file one for each of the carriers.

I wonder what kind of response I will get.
May 8, 2009
1893 posts
530 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 2:57 pm

Not a bad idea. Do cycle the feedback.

Perhaps create a thread with the detailed steps and template message to send the Competition Bureau?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9896 posts
2335 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
batcave wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 2:57 pm

titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 4:04 pm
Not a bad idea. Do cycle the feedback.

Perhaps create a thread with the detailed steps and template message to send the Competition Bureau?
These guys have some campaign to message CRTC
https://act.openmedia.org/lowermycellbill
Jul 28, 2009
40 posts
14 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 4:41 pm
These guys have some campaign to message CRTC
https://act.openmedia.org/lowermycellbill
This is great. I just did it. We should be working on collective action as well. You know, there might not be competition, but what can really hurt a provider is if droves of people sign up and leave at once. Has anyone ever given thought to creating a consumer group that facilitates exactly this? Collective bargaining in essence...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9896 posts
2335 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
rafiki6 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 4:04 pm
This is great. I just did it. We should be working on collective action as well. You know, there might not be competition, but what can really hurt a provider is if droves of people sign up and leave at once. Has anyone ever given thought to creating a consumer group that facilitates exactly this? Collective bargaining in essence...
That would be incredibly difficult to organize and everyone involved would have to be willing to put up with the headaches and screw ups.

Further, given how hard the big 3 work together, I could see them co-operating on the selected "day of protest" to slow down number ports to the new carrier.

But the more I think about it, the more I am liking your idea of collecting bargaining. if not in the sense of a mass protest but in the sense of obtaining corporate type plans. Carriers give negotiate corp plans with companies and unions and even membership organizations. It might be a very good idea for someone to start a new org that anyone could sign up for and whose sole purpose is negotiating group/corp plans. As it hits certain numbers, the org could approach various carriers to try to negotiate plans but with the leverage of all of their members. Could work.
Jul 28, 2009
40 posts
14 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 4:33 pm
That would be incredibly difficult to organize and everyone involved would have to be willing to put up with the headaches and screw ups.

Further, given how hard the big 3 work together, I could see them co-operating on the selected "day of protest" to slow down number ports to the new carrier.

But the more I think about it, the more I am liking your idea of collecting bargaining. if not in the sense of a mass protest but in the sense of obtaining corporate type plans. Carriers give negotiate corp plans with companies and unions and even membership organizations. It might be a very good idea for someone to start a new org that anyone could sign up for and whose sole purpose is negotiating group/corp plans. As it hits certain numbers, the org could approach various carriers to try to negotiate plans but with the leverage of all of their members. Could work.
Anything valuable is difficult right? lol

But ya, I mean there's lots of logistics and of course the Big 3 would put pressure back. But if anything it could be an opportunity to make money! If someone goes through the trouble of handling all the logistics and charges me a few bucks a month for it, but saves me 20-30 a month on my plan I wouldn't complain.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1041 posts
262 upvotes
Calgary
I used pay out the *** with the big 3. Ended up going through the RFD route with MB plan on an AB number. Life has been great.
May 8, 2009
1893 posts
530 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
rafiki6 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 4:04 pm
Without competition with MVNO's, only thing that can hurt the big three a little is if no one accepts their expensive rate plans. Either go data-only and do talk & text via app or everyone get QC numbers for QC plans. As long as consumers accept carriers' expensive plans, carriers will continue to charge up the nose.
rafiki6 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 4:52 pm
Anything valuable is difficult right? lol

But ya, I mean there's lots of logistics and of course the Big 3 would put pressure back. But if anything it could be an opportunity to make money! If someone goes through the trouble of handling all the logistics and charges me a few bucks a month for it, but saves me 20-30 a month on my plan I wouldn't complain.
Forget a few bucks per month. I can charge you $50 one time to get you on an out of province plan on Koodo with your local number. But so could many people on this forum. So could many sellers on Kijiji do it for you. That'd save you $20-30 per month. No need for a few bucks per month.