Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Why is shipping a light DVD within Canada $12?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2017 8:55 pm
[OP]
Jan 6, 2017
3 posts

Why is shipping a light DVD within Canada $12?

I recently started selling items through Ebay and my default shipping option is Canada Post because I've read they are the cheapest option for Canadian users. I've received complaints from users on Ebay saying that $12 to ship a light DVD from Toronto to London, ON should definitely not be that much. Are they right? Is there a cheaper option i'm missing?

I do have a Canada Post small business account and occasionally they deduct a small discount like 5% from the shipping cost but it's not much.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1390 upvotes
Richmond
I don't think there's much choice in Canada at the low end of shipping cost. A bulk courier probably isn't going to beat a $12 price from Canada Post, even if they seem overpriced for the situation.

Is it not an option to deliver content over the internet?

If you must send a DVD, and postage is a big concern, have you considered shipping the DVD in a simple paper envelope for minimum weight and cost? It could be damaged in the mail, but probably not, and it's easily replaced since presumably the value is the content of the DVD rather than the physical medium.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2017
3 posts
Faith24 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 11:11 am
If you must send a DVD, and postage is a big concern, have you considered shipping the DVD in a simple paper envelope for minimum weight and cost?
I didn't even think about this but it turns out most regular DVDs and blu-rays will fit with oversized lettermail. I just tried it today and it made the 2cm cutoff. There are certain thicker DVDs where this will not work but for 8/10 of my items it seems I can do it this way. Thanks!
May 21, 2015
116 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
for light items it is cheaper for me to ship with chit chat express or stallion etc from USPS and shipped BACK into Canada...
Apr 6, 2010
491 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Meanwhile, I paid $10 (ten) to have an item (about one pound in weight) shipped from Shanghai to Toronto - via Canada Post for the Vancouver-Toronto part. Go figure...
Cristian.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9769 posts
1022 upvotes
Well, you don't have much options.

A drive from Toronto to London will probably take about $15 in gas for a gas efficient car.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Jan 1, 2009
113 posts
if you get a shopify account you can get a slightly better price on parcel shipping.

otherwise send by oversized lettermail, if it fits in the 2cm slot you're good to go.. BUT there's no tracking and if a customer says they didn't receive it after 4 weeks then you really don't know what happened to it
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4440 posts
2088 upvotes
Vancouver
vovin5 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 4:17 pm
I recently started selling items through Ebay and my default shipping option is Canada Post because I've read they are the cheapest option for Canadian users. I've received complaints from users on Ebay saying that $12 to ship a light DVD from Toronto to London, ON should definitely not be that much. Are they right? Is there a cheaper option i'm missing?

I do have a Canada Post small business account and occasionally they deduct a small discount like 5% from the shipping cost but it's not much.
Yes, there is a cheaper option you're missing. According to google a standard DVD has a dimensions of: 190mm by 135mm with a thickness of approx. 14mm

For a single DVD in a case, you are eligible to ship it via "large envelope" using standard postal mail.

The total cost for this is $2.03 from Toronto to London.