Fitness and Nutrition

Why is it so easy to get fat? (And so hard to burn it?)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2014 12:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2014
1041 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Why is it so easy to get fat? (And so hard to burn it?)

So.... I might have been slacking off the last few months. And BOOM. I look hideous. Why is it so easy to get fat and so hard to burn it?

Is this some natural take-all-you-have and store it thing- to stock up/save energy when you need it
or is this just the way of life (no explanation?)
A really inspirational quote should be here. But I haven't found one yet.
29 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Maverick98 wrote: So.... I might have been slacking off the last few months. And BOOM. I look hideous. Why is it so easy to get fat and so hard to burn it?

Is this some natural take-all-you-have and store it thing- to stock up/save energy when you need it
or is this just the way of life (no explanation?)
You are descended from a mammal that survived both the dinosaurs and the ice age on very little food, and your body is always doing everything it can to survive long-term. Stop being sedentary and start acting more like your vicious rodent ancestor if you want to burn off some of that stored energy.

Controlling what you eat is the easiest way to lose weight.
Jun 23, 2011
659 posts
28 upvotes
Mississauga
Piro21 wrote: You are descended from a mammal that survived both the dinosaurs and the ice age on very little food, and your body is always doing everything it can to survive long-term. Stop being sedentary and start acting more like your vicious rodent ancestor if you want to burn off some of that stored energy.

^
Dec 14, 2008
722 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
Calorically dense foods that combine fats and carbs. Fast digesting carbs will spike your insulin which in turn signals to your body to go into fat storage. So when you eat all that food and don't exercise two things happen. 1. Your body stores the dietary fat as fat. 2. Your body has this excess energy from the carbs that hasn't been burned, and then stores that as fat too.

Awesome huh.

So eat better, eat less, move more.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
i eets lost of fat and calory and modrate mount of carbs but i aint no be getting fat. i lift wait too. is gud.
oh, many peepholes that seat on theyass to much have wide load. this guy made gud article. vary intrusting promise.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hairs.html
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
8355 posts
2268 upvotes
GTA
1) Get proper sleep (this is actually more important than both diet and exercise for your overall health). Most people need about 8 hrs of sleep every night for your body to rest and repair itself.

2) Minimize processed grains and sugar in your diet, especially wheat. Make your own meals, avoid processed foods with ingredients you can't pronounce. Drink water, avoid pops, juices, energy drinks, alcohol. I would avoid dairy as well, except for pro-biotics such as kefir and low fat/sugar yogurt. Eat fish/white meat, seeds and nuts for protein, minimize red meat consumption.

3) Don't eat big meals a couple of times a day. Your body will adjust and store the calories as fat to be used later. To keep the metabolism going, eat smaller meals and snacks every 2-3 hrs. Do not eat before going to bed. Give yourself at least a few hours to process whatever you had for dinner.

3) Move. Your body has evolved for moving and not sitting on your rear end all day.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1219 upvotes
aGincourt
9-5 office job, and the rest of the day infront of a PC/TV
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
izzyzz wrote: 1) Get proper sleep (this is actually more important than both diet and exercise for your overall health). Most people need about 8 hrs of sleep every night for your body to rest and repair itself.

2) Minimize processed grains and sugar in your diet, especially wheat. Make your own meals, avoid processed foods with ingredients you can't pronounce. Drink water, avoid pops, juices, energy drinks, alcohol. I would avoid dairy as well, except for pro-biotics such as kefir and low fat/sugar yogurt. Eat fish/white meat, seeds and nuts for protein, minimize red meat consumption.

3) Don't eat big meals a couple of times a day. Your body will adjust and store the calories as fat to be used later. To keep the metabolism going, eat smaller meals and snacks every 2-3 hrs. Do not eat before going to bed. Give yourself at least a few hours to process whatever you had for dinner.

3) Move. Your body has evolved for moving and not sitting on your rear end all day.
1st bold is flat out wrong. the lipid hypothesis has been thoroughly debunked.
2nd is unnecessary at best for most and would be unhealthy for some.
everything else is pretty much spot on.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
I would simply say that you should focus on what you eat, not how much you eat.

There are very few, if any, people that eat a healthy diet and over-eat, becoming overweight. Yet, there are plenty of people who eat whatever they wish, and look like s***.

Another way of looking at it is this: many people could never sit down for dinner and put away 1000 calories worth of steak. But I sure as s*** would bet, most, if not all, of us could put away 1000 calories worth of potato chips, or ice cream.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4481 posts
901 upvotes
Edmonton
Age has a lot to do with it. Physical activity as well, anything under 4 stories take the stairs. Walk when you can as well. Cut processed sugars and don't eat out. Avoid heavy fats like chips pizza etc. and eat when your actually hungry not at a given time.

That's ver condensed but it works. I personally think sugar is biggest issue out there today.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1727 posts
1547 upvotes
There are many reasons why losing weight is much harder than putting on weight for the vast majority of people. For one, putting on weight doesn't require hard work or discipline (just eat more, and eat whatever you want).

But there are also scientific reasons why losing weight is harder. That's why the best answer is to avoid yo-yo diets and the cycle of putting on weight and taking it off.

Genetics also plays a big role. Some people are just lucky that they don't put on weight as easily as others.

Here's a great article from a couple of years ago (NY Times): http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magaz ... d=all&_r=0
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: i eets lost of fat and calory and modrate mount of carbs but i aint no be getting fat. i lift wait too. is gud.
oh, many peepholes that seat on theyass to much have wide load. this guy made gud article. vary intrusting promise.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hairs.html
mpt wrote: Lol wut?
Scarborough. ;)
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2004
5799 posts
2638 upvotes
Toronto
Maverick98 wrote: So.... I might have been slacking off the last few months. And BOOM. I look hideous.
If you've slacked off during the summer months. Wait till winter comes, you'll be slacking off for the next 5 months.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff2 wrote: 1st bold is flat out wrong. the lipid hypothesis has been thoroughly debunked.
2nd is unnecessary at best for most and would be unhealthy for some.
everything else is pretty much spot on.
+1.

Keto + IF is probably the easiest way to lose weight. Perhaps easy isn't the right word, most straightforward? The first few weeks of switching to Keto/IF are extremely difficult especially if you're used to eating often and/or high carb.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
You gain fat easily but problem losing weight. It is because you are lazy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: You are descended from a mammal that survived both the dinosaurs and the ice age on very little food, and your body is always doing everything it can to survive long-term. Stop being sedentary and start acting more like your vicious rodent ancestor if you want to burn off some of that stored energy.

Problem is he doesn't go hunting for his food. He puts it in microwave and heats it up and bam in 2min there's dinner.
Our caveman ancestors spent a full day hunting..

So either eat less.. Or eat as much as you can and then spend days trying to catch a sabre-tooth tiger for dinner.
Let me know how it goes.
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
Max_Dealing wrote: Age has a lot to do with it. Physical activity as well, anything under 4 stories take the stairs. Walk when you can as well. Cut processed sugars and don't eat out. Avoid heavy fats like chips pizza etc. and eat when your actually hungry not at a given time.

That's ver condensed but it works. I personally think sugar is biggest issue out there today.
Age is a cop out. It's more about stage of life. Married taking care of kids and having a job takes up time.