Off Topic Archive

Locked: Why are so many construction workers fat and out of shape?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2011 2:49 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11442 posts
458 upvotes

Why are so many construction workers fat and out of shape?

I would have thought that this kind of job would give you a good workout, but a lot of construction workers I see seem to often be at least overweight and sometimes just plain fat.

Is it just too many donuts or are these guys not as active as I think?
Share:
63 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25400 posts
3547 upvotes
Hamilton
This is very true... I'd like to know as well.
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15992 posts
375 upvotes
Aren't their arms ripped?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25400 posts
3547 upvotes
Hamilton
dragon_drift wrote:
Jun 11th, 2011 7:10 pm
Aren't their arms ripped?
Them tummies are huge
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Feb 22, 2010
144 posts
7 upvotes
Too much tim horton's coffee and doughnuts? Or maybe that a lot of their work is made easier with better technology ?
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2461 posts
125 upvotes
Burlington
They're muscular not really fat... (some obviously are). Mostly the difference comes from being toned and muscular. Toning takes more time and effort really.
Jul 30, 2009
316 posts
They need energy hence they have to eat a lot of energy rich foods as well as what else is readily available (donuts or whatever). Can't blame them for it...be thankful that you have a road to drive on. I bet the cold weather has something to do with their storage of fat as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1347 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
If it's a government paid project, then there's one guy working and five guys watching, er, ... supervising. ;)
Jul 5, 2004
23784 posts
3311 upvotes
jl001 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2011 7:28 pm
If it's a government paid project, then there's one guy working and five guys watching, er, ... supervising. ;)

There's some truth to this. Road crews don't work overly hard, although the work is unbelievably hot and uncomfortable. I've done that work before many years ago, and there might be some days you do work hard, but for the most part it's not physically demanding work, at least not for long periods of time.

If you're talking construction workers outside of road crews, then I would disagree with your opinion that many of them are fat. The ones that actually work, aren't usually fat. They might have a belly on them, but that's not from a lack of working hard, it's due to their lifestyle. I'm generalizing, but many construction workers eat unhealthy (especially while on the job) and drink a lot of alcohol. They also don't tend to exercise after work because their job is so physically demanding.

I know when I did a summer of roofing, I would go home after a 12 hour day and be utterly exhausted. I didn't have energy to do anything but sit on the couch. Also, while on the job I would drink my fair share of beers (unsafe yes, but that's the nature of the job). Also, because you don't have a fridge you can rely on while roofing, you tend to eat out, and one can only eat so much Subway. Eventually you find yourself eating more unhealthy meals, and eating more food in general, because of how physically demanding the job is.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1386 posts
102 upvotes
Niagara Falls
mbg wrote:
Jun 11th, 2011 6:36 pm
I would have thought that this kind of job would give you a good workout, but a lot of construction workers I see seem to often be at least overweight and sometimes just plain fat.

I see more muscular ones that I do fat ones. I really feel for these guys, especially on super hot days.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2006
3831 posts
68 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
Jun 11th, 2011 7:40 pm
If you're talking construction workers outside of road crews, then I would disagree with your opinion that many of them are fat. The ones that actually work, aren't usually fat. They might have a belly on them, but that's not from a lack of working hard, it's due to their lifestyle.
Lazy.
Shaner wrote:
I'm generalizing, but many construction workers eat unhealthy (especially while on the job) and drink a lot of alcohol. They also don't tend to exercise after work because their job is so physically demanding.
Again, lazy. A wise poster once said " If you want something bad enough, you will find time. "
Shaner wrote:
I know when I did a summer of roofing, I would go home after a 12 hour day and be utterly exhausted. I didn't have energy to do anything but sit on the couch. Also, while on the job I would drink my fair share of beers (unsafe yes, but that's the nature of the job). Also, because you don't have a fridge you can rely on while roofing, you tend to eat out, and one can only eat so much Subway. Eventually you find yourself eating more unhealthy meals, and eating more food in general, because of how physically demanding the job is.
Chintzy excuses... IMO :)

[IMG]http://thumbpress.com/wp-content/upload ... llface.jpg[/IMG]
You're not funny.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11978 posts
282 upvotes
Similar story to NFL players. They start off young and hardworking, and eat a tonne to keep up. As they get older, they do less and less physical work, but eat the same. End result = too much fat over a fair amount of muscle.
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
125 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Jun 11th, 2011 6:36 pm

I'd imagine after doing all that physical work for 12 hours a day one si way too tired to engage in any exercise. It hink most construction workers start out as fat ebcause most canandians are fat. I find it hard to believe that a canadian who sits at a desk all day would be thinner than a guy banging nails and lifting things all day. But construction workers have no fridge and eat lots of fast food, and fast food causes one to gain on average 10-15 pounds because of all the salt and chemicals. I'm skinny but if I eat fast food for 1 week straight my weight goes up by 10 pounds or 2 poounds a day, even if i eat just 1 little burger. Whereas I can devour the entire fridge at home and gain no weight.
Jul 13, 2009
923 posts
58 upvotes
DarkMasterMX wrote:
Jun 11th, 2011 7:12 pm
They're muscular not really fat... (some obviously are). Mostly the difference comes from being toned and muscular. Toning takes more time and effort really.

"Toning" doesn't really exist, if you're muscled with a high body fat %, you're still fat.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4608 posts
1411 upvotes
Toronto
Don't forget that in Canada almost all construction work is seasonal. They have to eat well to have strength/energy during the busy season, but what about the rest of the year (i.e. winter when there's hardly any work)? They either sit at home on EI waiting for spring, or take some part-time indoor work for a few months, but I'm betting that like most of us would, they keep eating and drinking as much as normal. Plus this year we had a very wet spring (longer layoff) so there are probably more out of shape workers than usual. Plus let's face it the typical construction worker isn't going to be someone who counts calories and limits their intake or goes on fad diets.