Parenting & Family

Why so many parents don't order lunch from Lunchlady?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2017 3:12 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 21, 2013
50 posts
2 upvotes

Why so many parents don't order lunch from Lunchlady?

I am in ottawa area. I orders lunch from Lunchlady company. My daughter love lunchlady's lunch. While today I got to know there is only a few students orders lunch form this company. while Almost all of them order subs and pizza which I order them for my daughter too.

I just want to know is there any special reason?

I am rooted up after I come to ottawa. That's why I really need your answer. Thank you!
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
979 upvotes
N/A
they are being frugal. no different than people packing lunch to the office.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1444 upvotes
Pickering
Because they can't or won't afford to buy catering for their kids or maybe they have their act together and can actually make a lunch.
Apr 4, 2010
319 posts
131 upvotes
Wow, I never even knew a thing like "lunch lady" existed. Yeah, I think most parents make their child's lunch themselves, it's not that hard ... also yes, the frugal part!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3302 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like u work for them...

Anyone who does not take the time of the day to make lunch for their kids should not have them. How lazy can u get.
May 12, 2009
617 posts
118 upvotes
We order from the Lunch Lady in our home town, and I wouldn't consider myself lazy. It's a nice treat for the kids. Our school doesn't do pizza or hotdog days and the kids don't like subs. Our local guy does a very good job of it.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3889 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
Our school uses alphabetkids.ca
How do these programs handle portions? It seems the price is the same, regardless of grade/age of child. But a 6 year old will not eat as much as a 10 year old, so will the 10 year old be left hungry while the 6 year old throws away good food?

The convenience is really tempting, but I don't know if the price is really worth the convenience. Also, I'm afraid of reading future horror stories of the company cutting corners to increase their profits.
Jun 4, 2012
128 posts
11 upvotes
I find lunch lady quite expensive . 5 $ per lunch for 2 kids is 10 $ per day (minimum order is 4.75 + tax). Every time I look at the menu I just shake my head... I do not remember choices, but I hardly feed my kids anything from menu I am getting. I guess we have different understanding what healthy meal is. Yes, we buy pizza too, not subs. Just little something, still overprised as school collects some money for thier funding.

I would probably buy from them if choice is between McDonalds and lunch lady. Idea is great though. I'd love to have affordable hot meals for kids instead cold lunches. But then probably it will not have business sence for them.
I guess everyone has different budget and the way they spend money. We all take lunchs from home and spend money on other activities.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1743 posts
113 upvotes
I wasn't aware that this existed. Must be a regional thing. Do they have a website?

I make my kids' lunch every morning. And as a treat, the school does give the option of a bi-weekly pizza lunch on Thursdays which I sign them up for.

Given the costs mentioned by jul123, it sounds ridiculously expensive.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23028 posts
979 upvotes
Markham, ON
i received the flyer too from lunchlady....it was mid $5 per meal...i have to think about it...it cost probably twice as much on my lunch prep.
May 12, 2009
617 posts
118 upvotes
Wow, I just logged in for the first time this year. Prices have really gone up. I only used to order from the little lunches menu because my kids don't eat much and the prices seem to have gone up a buck per item.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11356 posts
2319 upvotes
Montreal
7$ a meal, and it doesn't even include snacks for the day.
No way am I paying for that. My son eats very little already and we still have to put in the snacks.
For 7$ a meal, I could buy MYSELF (full grown adult) a lunch at Tim Hortons, but I don't, I am also frugal.

I admit that the meals they give him seem delicious, but I'm not paying him luxury food when I get my coffee from work to save 2$.
May 10, 2010
56 posts
3 upvotes
Thornhill
greg123 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2013 5:13 am
Sounds like u work for them...

Anyone who does not take the time of the day to make lunch for their kids should not have them. How lazy can u get.
I'm sorry, but this is very judgmental. People have many reasons for not sending lunch to school and ordering it. Has nothing to do with laziness.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3306 posts
819 upvotes
Toronto
Our school offers catering from Real Food for Real Kids 3 x week. My kids ate that at daycare but once that ended, they opted not to rejoin the program... having said that, I thought the menu options were great. They tell me though that there are long line ups (or were long line ups) for the kids to get their food.

The kids make most of their lunches themselves, we help occasionally or just make sure its fine and we can make nutritious food that they enjoy for way less than what the programs cost.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
979 upvotes
N/A
Happy Child wrote:
Sep 17th, 2013 2:29 pm
I'm sorry, but this is very judgmental. People have many reasons for not sending lunch to school and ordering it. Has nothing to do with laziness.
while i agree that there are many reasons, laziness is definitely one of them.
there's nothing wrong with being lazy. i consider my self lazy more often than i would like, but as for my kid's lunch, my frugalness wins over laziness. i never eat out when i go to the office either.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel