Parenting & Family

Why so many parents don't order lunch from Lunchlady?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2017 3:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1568 posts
143 upvotes
Newmarket
sometimes i like to take a break and not have to worry about coming up with what to make for my two kids

i ordered last year but the menu i got this year had three items, two my kids found no interest in, and the third was a grilled cheese for $5.75.....so i made my own grilled cheese for them
last year it was mainly pasta, and lasagna......not the healthiest choice
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1429 posts
115 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
What for? My kids prepare their own lunch - they can either grab the night's leftovers or make their own sandwich. The kids eat their lunch because they pack it, and we know the food is healthy because we control what comes into the house. Because my kids are young - 4 and 6 - we review their lunch to make sure that it's OK, but they do a decent job most days.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2013
50 posts
2 upvotes
Redguard wrote:
Sep 17th, 2013 12:16 pm
I wasn't aware that this existed. Must be a regional thing. Do they have a website?

I make my kids' lunch every morning. And as a treat, the school does give the option of a bi-weekly pizza lunch on Thursdays which I sign them up for.

Given the costs mentioned by jul123, it sounds ridiculously expensive.
The website is http://www.lunchlady.ca/ Hope it is helpful.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2013
50 posts
2 upvotes
Amazing!

Kids 4-6 can prepare their own lunch!

I guess parents like me do too much for kids. I will try to change.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2013
50 posts
2 upvotes
Hi, brothers and sisters!

Thank you for your reply. Now I got to know it is not meanly because lunch lady's food is not good, maybe is unhealthy. Say, I even don't know what it is when I order lunch for my daughter. I usually pick up a expensive one, around $5, then ,to make my daughter happy, I also order a little one , no more than 2 dollar.

I even don't know it is expensive. That is why I said I am totally rooted up, almost know nothing about here. Terrible! That's not because I am rich. That's because we love our kids. I want my kids get what her classmate get. That's important to them. That's why I was surprised when I get to know only few kids in her class get lunch from lunchlady.

By the way, I said I am not working , so I am not work for Lunchlady.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2013
50 posts
2 upvotes
greg123 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2013 5:13 am
Sounds like u work for them...

Anyone who does not take the time of the day to make lunch for their kids should not have them. How lazy can u get.
gref123, you won me an apologize. You wrong me. I order lunch for my daughter meanly because I want help her fit in her classmates, eat the same foods with her classmates. I register 7 activity classes for her and I need drive her and waiting for her 7 times every week and at the same time I also need take my younger toldder with us every time whatever the places is good or not good for looking after such an active toldder. Another example, I bake bread by using yeast for kids heath, try to give my kids bread without baking powder/sode which are chemical one. I know if I buy bread, It would be more easy to do for me. Is it right?

I definately do not think I am a lazy mom. I am not the best, but I do try my best. How can you jude me according to your prejudice?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
980 upvotes
N/A
wow.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1568 posts
143 upvotes
Newmarket
zmr2011 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2013 10:34 pm
Amazing!

Kids 4-6 can prepare their own lunch!

I guess parents like me do too much for kids. I will try to change.
i know! same here

you all know what i'll be having my kids do later today :twisted:

how come i never thought of having them pack their own stuff..... :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13115 posts
644 upvotes
We pack a lunch for our kids.

A typical lunch would be a sandwich or a thermos of soup or leftovers (i.e. a giant slab of lasagna), 1 apple, 1 other fruit, a bag of vegetables (carrot or celery), a granola bar and water. This takes 10 seconds to put together. Why would I waste money on a service...If I know he is going to be hungry, I'll pack more.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2013
50 posts
2 upvotes
Sounds great! That's west lunch. I am not good at make sandwich or something else. Once time, I added red hot to a yellow pan cake when I eat in Ikea. It surprised my partner. I really do not know how to match them, so many source here. I need google and learn to make them.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4980 posts
909 upvotes
Whitby
Lunch Lady is a good occasional treat, we do it once every 2 weeks. High school son buys lunch once a week, cheaper than the lunch lady.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
980 upvotes
N/A
wow.
really loving the thought nuggets in this thread.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11410 posts
2389 upvotes
Montreal
Oh wow, I can totally see the Chinese mother thinking in zmr2011. My wife is the same. It's a vicious cycle to get something for your kid because the other kids have it. With enough Chinese mothers in the same classroom and things spiral out of control.

One of my wife's (Chinese) friend (Chinese) nearly went bankrupt because she was buying everything that other children had. Her problem was, each child had something, but none had everything, she thought she had to get the same of EVERYTHING.

That's also how my son is now doing 5 different activities per week. My wife saw 1 parent sign up their kid to X, then anotehr parent sign up their kid to Y, another to Z, another to V, and another to W. Now my son is doing V,W,X,Y,Z activity.

They're insane.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1429 posts
115 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
alkizmo wrote:
Sep 19th, 2013 7:11 pm
Oh wow, I can totally see the Chinese mother thinking in zmr2011. My wife is the same. It's a vicious cycle to get something for your kid because the other kids have it. With enough Chinese mothers in the same classroom and things spiral out of control.

One of my wife's (Chinese) friend (Chinese) nearly went bankrupt because she was buying everything that other children had. Her problem was, each child had something, but none had everything, she thought she had to get the same of EVERYTHING.

That's also how my son is now doing 5 different activities per week. My wife saw 1 parent sign up their kid to X, then anotehr parent sign up their kid to Y, another to Z, another to V, and another to W. Now my son is doing V,W,X,Y,Z activity.

They're insane.
I don't think it's fair to single out Chinese mothers, you see this type of behaviour everywhere, moreso in cities I think.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
zmr2011 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2013 11:16 pm
gref123, you won me an apologize. You wrong me. I order lunch for my daughter meanly because I want help her fit in her classmates, eat the same foods with her classmates. I register 7 activity classes for her and I need drive her and waiting for her 7 times every week and at the same time I also need take my younger toldder with us every time whatever the places is good or not good for looking after such an active toldder. Another example, I bake bread by using yeast for kids heath, try to give my kids bread without baking powder/sode which are chemical one. I know if I buy bread, It would be more easy to do for me. Is it right?

I definately do not think I am a lazy mom. I am not the best, but I do try my best. How can you jude me according to your prejudice?
You should focus more on actually being a parent and worrying less about how your kids are going to fit in with classmates with what they eat. Would you buy your kid an Iphone if the other kids in the class all had Iphones?

7 activity classes?? Holy crap! That is such over kill and then to complain that you have to take your toddler with you so it makes it difficult? If it is that difficult taking a toddler with you, then cut back on the activity classes. 2 at the most.