Parenting & Family

Why so many parents don't order lunch from Lunchlady?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2017 3:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11356 posts
1000 upvotes
Kanata
zmr2011 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2013 11:25 pm
I am in ottawa area. I orders lunch from Lunchlady company. My daughter love lunchlady's lunch. While today I got to know there is only a few students orders lunch form this company. while Almost all of them order subs and pizza which I order them for my daughter too.

I just want to know is there any special reason?

I am rooted up after I come to ottawa. That's why I really need your answer. Thank you!
food allergies for us.
Aug 28, 2013
33 posts
9 upvotes
Port Perry
I ordered for two years, then this year figured that even though I work 100hr/d I will be organized and make my kids their own lunch. It's healthier with less processed food and cheaper. Last year my kids got bored getting Lunchlady 3 lunches per week, even though it was a different item each time. Just my two cents...
Jan 14, 2013
234 posts
120 upvotes
We dont because the food options are always highly processed, full of salt, expensive and also we're vegetarians, they never have a full veggie option :(
zmr2011 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2013 11:25 pm
I am in ottawa area. I orders lunch from Lunchlady company. My daughter love lunchlady's lunch. While today I got to know there is only a few students orders lunch form this company. while Almost all of them order subs and pizza which I order them for my daughter too.

I just want to know is there any special reason?

I am rooted up after I come to ottawa. That's why I really need your answer. Thank you!
Apr 9, 2004
319 posts
47 upvotes
London
Lunchlady.ca isn't offered at my children's school. I order pizza lunch for my kids though every 2 weeks -- I can chose the quantity of pizza, type of pizza, drink (chocolate milk, white milk or juice) and nut free snack.

I do work for a school board (non-teaching role who travels to multiple schools). I don't find many kids order Lunch Lady meals. Most complain about the quality of the foods, foods arriving at the wrong temperatures and being expensive for what you get.
Jan 6, 2009
352 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga
I would probably order Lunchlady once in a while for a treat, but I make my daughters lunch in the morning when i make my lunch.
Feb 14, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Ordered 1 time for a special tuesday Valentine's day lunch, because I usually make lunch daily (frugalness/health) and come tuesday the lunch lady never delivered... I had built my kid up to expect a special treat and she came home hungry. I e-mailed them to say wtf... Got a reply from someone saying that I was wrong and that I had placed the order on the different date...it wasn't actually being delivered until the week AFTER Valentine's day....when I went back online to check this out, they had change the dates.... Yup, Never Again. Parents beware. Better to make the kids lunch or have them mange it so they don't go hungry and your out $6 cause apparently they don't like to refund either.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15928 posts
1840 upvotes
Apparently my child finds their food unappealing ... portions are also small and expensive.

It's good for convenience, but you can pack your own lunch in about <10 minutes that is much better.
Jan 3, 2017
159 posts
125 upvotes
We don't do it simply because we don't want to pay for it. We can afford it but it's a waste of money. Our school offers pizza day, subway day and lunch lady.

We only participate in pizza day.
Feb 8, 2017
229 posts
82 upvotes
fryguy1987 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 6:13 pm
We don't do it simply because we don't want to pay for it. We can afford it but it's a waste of money. Our school offers pizza day, subway day and lunch lady.

We only participate in pizza day.
+1. pizza is enough. the other days the kids can spend 10 minutes to make their own lunches the night before.
Feb 1, 2009
9 posts
1 upvote
I like the idea of lunchlady. Ordered a couple times for the kids but they didn't like it. Complaints of it being cold and tasteless.
Jun 26, 2007
449 posts
92 upvotes
GTA
Kidskitchen serves my child's school. I order from them once a week. My kid likes hot lunch and seems to like it. But I agree it is not cheap.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2015
1212 posts
421 upvotes
North York, ON
It is more healthy to prepare the lunch at home for kids. But the difficulty is to decide what to make everyday. I need a list of menu to help me make decision. Anyone of you has a good website or blog to suggest. It would be easy to follow an order. Haha...
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3274 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
There was an excellent hot lunch program at my daughter's elementary school and we always participated. It was only about $20 or $30 per month and included fruit, yoghurt, hot lunch. The menu was far more interesting than anything I would have been throwing together for her at home lol. They would have things like perogies, lasagna, spaghetti, chicken with rice, you name it. Friday's were always cold lunch days (submarine sandwiches). I'm pretty sure it was run through the school or the school district and not a private company. If you were poor, you could just fill out a form to say you could't afford it and your child could still get the hot lunches. For this reason, my dad would always pay double the amount for my daughter (say $60 instead of the $30). He was always the one who paid for her (I have lovely parents).

This was in Victoria, BC. My daughter is 24 now, so we are going back a bit.