Shopping Discussion

Why are so many people selling BNIB phones? Scam????

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2017 9:00 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2003
1000 posts
136 upvotes
Ontario

Why are so many people selling BNIB phones? Scam????

I'm Looking for a used iPhone 6S and see lots of people selling BNIB, why would someone sell something they have not even opened?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4570 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Contract renewal on a retention plan, old phone still works so just selling it for cash.

Or theft insurance scam.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
BNIB has much better value that a phone used for a day with opened packaging. Same with everything selling in private or kijiji market.

If people take out a new agreement of 2 years and got a phone cheaper, they can sell it out for profit.
Only thing is they have to remain in the agreement for 2 years.

This happens since decades, nothing new.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 22, 2012
336 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
Apparently, the most common scam is where the seller will claim the phone is stolen or lost and thus the phone will be blacklisted and they will receive a new phone with insurance as well as the money they got selling the phone. I have sold 1 or 2 phones on craigslist before but have never bought one. It is insurance fraud and if you get the seller's ID it may give you some sense of trust
Sep 27, 2003
11124 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Legit sellers, aka phone not stolen or fraudulently obtained, likely selling the subsidized phone for profit. With Boxing Day just behind us, many phones were deeply discounted. Great time to make some $$$.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4570 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
jackrabbit000 wrote: Most likely a contract renewal and they got the phone for free and just selling it for a profit.
Yeah that's scenario 1. The theft insurance fraud one is quite prevalent on Kijiji as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
Agreed with everyone else. Example: I have a nexus 6p and will be due for a new phone next month. I love my 6p and there isn't anything out there that I want, so why not upgrade and sell the new phone?

I thought it might be a hassle getting the rep I buy from to NOT open the phone as usually they want to open it and set it up...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
ToniCipriani wrote: Contract renewal on a retention plan, old phone still works so just selling it for cash.

Or theft insurance scam.
This exactly. When I renew I get the hottest phone out there and sell it for 600-700. On a two year contract with a monthly cost of $60 it works out well.
Last edited by Konowl on Jan 7th, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 23, 2012
602 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
So what should I do to avoid buying a insurance fraud phone? Asking ID? Receipt?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
rliuthu wrote: So what should I do to avoid buying a insurance fraud phone? Asking ID? Receipt?
Honestly when I deal with phones I stick to RFD forums; that's where I sold my last phone.
If i were to do it on kijiji i'd probably ask for the IMEI and check if it was stolen, and pickup at their house only. I honestly would never meet in a public place like a mall to make a 500-600 dollar purchase. I did however sell a Blackberry Passport at a mall so I'm a hypocrite I guess LOL.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2011
1078 posts
786 upvotes
Konowl wrote: Honestly when I deal with phones I stick to RFD forums; that's where I sold my last phone.
If i were to do it on kijiji i'd probably ask for the IMEI and check if it was stolen, and pickup at their house only. I honestly would never meet in a public place like a mall to make a 500-600 dollar purchase. I did however sell a Blackberry Passport at a mall so I'm a hypocrite I guess LOL.
Lol so you're going to meet at their home where they have the opportunity to mug you? I always meet at McDonalds or Timmies or Starbucks
Photography.
RedFlagDeals - Brea
self promotion is not allowed on RFD
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
Brea wrote: Lol so you're going to meet at their home where they have the opportunity to mug you? I always meet at McDonalds or Timmies or Starbucks
...you honestly think someone will mug you when you go to their house?!?!??!
Oct 18, 2014
60 posts
8 upvotes
N/A
So what should I do to avoid buying a insurance fraud phone? Asking ID? Receipt?
Even if the phone is legit initially, you may still run into problems later on - sometimes months later; if the person defaulted on their contract in the future, the carrier will blacklist the phone.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2009
1474 posts
734 upvotes
I've sold tons of BNIB phones. I used to work for a carrier and win phones through incentives that I would sell and also as others have said if contract is up and I don't need the new phone might as well sell it. For example most recently my work is now paying for my phone ... I already had an unlocked IPhone 6S and was setting up a new account so entitled to new phone at subsizidized pricing. Got a Galaxy 7 and sold it here on RFD my corporate pan gives upgrades every year so I'll continue doing this until I feel my phone actually needs upgrading.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5285 upvotes
GTA
Konowl wrote: This exactly. When I renew I get the hottest phone out there and sell it for 600-700. On a two year contract with a monthly cost of $60 it works out well.
What carrier? If. I can get free "hottest" phone, on good $60 plan (6GB plus all unlimited as BD byop plan) - sign me up!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
Tommy74 wrote: What carrier? If. I can get free "hottest" phone, on good $60 plan (6GB plus all unlimited as BD byop plan) - sign me up!
Corporate.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3793 posts
2617 upvotes
Montreal
Konowl wrote: ...you honestly think someone will mug you when you go to their house?!?!??!
A complete stranger, yes. Why not? They know you have a lot of cash on you and it could be someone else's house.

Also, I recommend people to do the following if they plan on making an expensive phone purchase on Kijiji :

1. Get the receipt and check that the IMEI and the sellers name match. (Ask if the phone is his and receipt before meeting)

2. Secretly record the conversation between you and the seller.

3. If possible obtain a note from the seller with his/her signature.

If #1 is a negative. Don't purchase it.
Aug 26, 2011
446 posts
410 upvotes
Niagara Falls
People say BNIB to try to sell it quicker too. Some people don't understand that BNIB, is supposed to be brand new and not lightly used. I've had two guys describe the phones that way, but when I show up, the phone has clearly been used. In one situation the guy was using the phone I wanted to buy.