Computers & Electronics

Why is it so pricey to go from 16GB DDR4 ram to 32gb?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 5:40 am
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
484 posts
122 upvotes

Why is it so pricey to go from 16GB DDR4 ram to 32gb?

DDR4 desktop ram.

Everywhere I have looked, two 16GB sticks is $400 and up. Is 16GB sticks always this pricey? Is there a good time of the year to wait for where you can get a good sale on them?
51 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
There is price fixing going on in the industry right now and it will continue throughout 2018, unfortunately.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
484 posts
122 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 6:51 pm
There is price fixing going on in the industry right now and it will continue throughout 2018, unfortunately.
Thanks. Is there a recommended brand and type you would suggest? Or is it okay to go with the cheapest Kingston or G-skill ram?

Newegg looks to be the cheapest vendor for DDR4 desktop ram.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 6:59 pm
Thanks. Is there a recommended brand and type you would suggest? Or is it okay to go with the cheapest Kingston or G-skill ram?

I don’t have a brand preference. Just look for something with a lifetime warranty and you should be good. Newegg is usually the cheapest, sometimes amazon. Check your motherboard compatibility list before buying.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25424 posts
2758 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
They all offer a lifetime warranty.

I have a brand new Crucial 32 Gig DDR4 kit that I don’t need. I paid $340 for it. I’ll sell it at cost if your interested. Still sealed. Lifetime warranty.
Sep 16, 2006
666 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 6:59 pm

With modern Intel systems, just buy whatever you want as long as it's within specifications. Doesn't really matter, you can, on the latest Intel platform Z370 go with anything from 2133 all the way up to around 4000 (some motherboard's can't manage those heights though). With AMD AM4, if you just want slow RAM and you don't care, sure, get whatever. If you want 3000-3200Mhz, which is the sweet spot, Get Samsung B-die RAM such as a lot of the stuff Team Group makes (it's not that expensive). Google the correct models.

If you are running AM4 I would urge you go to with 3200Mhz RAM as the infinity fabric AMD has going on with that platform greatly benefits from higher speed RAM, but if you have Intel 6th 7th or 8th gen or X99 and you aren't a performance addict and you just need RAM for slapping big files around then sure, get anything. Get whatever's cheap.

BTW if you have 4 RAM slots (I assume you have two though), then getting 2 identical 2X8GB kits will probably be cheaper, as the 16GB sticks are still at a price premium at the moment for some reason.

HTH

Oh btw this is a pain in the arse but I do recommend that any time you replace your RAM you run a full (bootable, not in windows) Memtest (Google it. It's free) to make sure the RAM is not faulty. Faulty RAM can work great for 6 months and then one day you start to get blue screens. If it's defective you want to know right away while still in return window. Memtest takes quite a while, and large amounts of RAM take longer to test. Running it overnight is not a bad idea.

Cheers.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 9:06 pm
With modern Intel systems, just buy whatever you want as long as it's within specifications. Doesn't really matter, you can, on the latest Intel platform Z370 go with anything from 2133 all the way up to around 4000 (some motherboard's can't manage those heights though). With AMD AM4, if you just want slow RAM and you don't care, sure, get whatever. If you want 3000-3200Mhz, which is the sweet spot, Get Samsung B-die RAM such as a lot of the stuff Team Group makes (it's not that expensive). Google the correct models.

If you are running AM4 I would urge you go to with 3200Mhz RAM as the infinity fabric AMD has going on with that platform greatly benefits from higher speed RAM, but if you have Intel 6th 7th or 8th gen or X99 and you aren't a performance addict and you just need RAM for slapping big files around then sure, get anything. Get whatever's cheap.

BTW if you have 4 RAM slots (I assume you have two though), then getting 2 identical 2X8GB kits will probably be cheaper, as the 16GB sticks are still at a price premium at the moment for some reason.

HTH

Oh btw this is a pain in the arse but I do recommend that any time you replace your RAM you run a full (bootable, not in windows) Memtest (Google it. It's free) to make sure the RAM is not faulty. Faulty RAM can work great for 6 months and then one day you start to get blue screens. If it's defective you want to know right away while still in return window. Memtest takes quite a while, and large amounts of RAM take longer to test. Running it overnight is not a bad idea.

Cheers.
Do you have any experience getting Ryzen to run properly with faster RAM? My RAM runs great at 3200 on an Intel platform, but it can only do 2933 on my Ryzen setup. I tried all sorts of stuff and I can't get my computer to even post with the RAM at 3200.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Sep 16, 2006
666 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 10:27 pm
Do you have any experience getting Ryzen to run properly with faster RAM? My RAM runs great at 3200 on an Intel platform, but it can only do 2933 on my Ryzen setup. I tried all sorts of stuff and I can't get my computer to even post with the RAM at 3200.
I have no experience using or tweaking ryzen. Still on a 4790K.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9823 posts
885 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 6:51 pm
I used to buy the excuse that flash memory is in hot demand as the only reason why prices jumped. But seeing reports of the big 3 are limiting production with huge profits shows the big 3 are taking advantage of the situation by basically setting whatever price they want.

Some good news is Samsung might heavily ramp up production as their "competitors" SK Hynix and Micron are cash heavy will likely build new fabs to up production. But this ramp up is not expected to reach its peak until Q4 2018.

Gee wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 7:08 pm
They all offer a lifetime warranty.

I have a brand new Crucial 32 Gig DDR4 kit that I don’t need. I paid $340 for it. I’ll sell it at cost if your interested. Still sealed. Lifetime warranty.
If DDP isn't interested, I might be. What's the speed?
Jan 13, 2014
605 posts
159 upvotes
Calgary
I was shocked to see 16GB DDR4 kits being sold for $230+ each at Memory Express the other day. Last I bought RAM, it was $150 for the same DDR4 2400 kit.

Crazy!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25424 posts
2758 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:08 am
If DDP isn't interested, I might be. What's the speed?

I purchased it with an i5 6400 and an ASRock ITX motherboard board. Never put the system together and the CPU is still sealed in the box.
Sep 16, 2006
666 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
Devhux wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:18 am
I was shocked to see 16GB DDR4 kits being sold for $230+ each at Memory Express the other day. Last I bought RAM, it was $150 for the same DDR4 2400 kit.

Crazy!
I got 16GB 2400Mhz for $75 in mid 2016. The price now is laughable. Not a good time to buy RAM.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
484 posts
122 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 7:02 pm
I don’t have a brand preference. Just look for something with a lifetime warranty and you should be good. Newegg is usually the cheapest, sometimes amazon. Check your motherboard compatibility list before buying.
Thanks, good to know a cheaper brand like Kingston will do.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
484 posts
122 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 9:06 pm

HTH

Cheers.
Thanks. I would for sure run Memtest if I do end up doing the upgrade.

Then I would sell off my current two 8GB sticks. Probably won't get more than $150 total but at least it will bring down the cost of the upgrade.

Mem Ex prices aren't bad, they had some G-skills for $334 but they are sold out.

My CPU is the latest gen core i7 i-7700 @ 3.60. I can't find the exact speed of my ram though, I know it's DDR.

This is the desktop that I have.
https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/ROG-G ... fications/