Computers & Electronics

Why is it so pricey to go from 16GB DDR4 ram to 32gb?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 5:40 am
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
I guess my ram speed is 2400 and I have 4 ram slots in this PC and my current 16GB ram is on one stick. If this is the case, then all I would need to do is buy another 16GB stick. But the thing is, shouldn't I have the exact same brand as what's in it now? I might have to call Asus to find out what brand stick is in it now.

I will double check to make sure my ram in it now is a 16GB stick because normally in these Asus gaming PC's, Asus puts them across 2 sticks. It's not common to find big ram sticks in pre-built desktops these days.

EDIT: I have confirmed that my PC for sure has (1) 16GB stick in it now. Nice! It has 4 slots and I'm wondering if my PC can take up to 64GB of ram.

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25384 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If your computer is using SoDIMM, then you will need notebook memory.

My memory kit won’t work.

*** Update ***

Confirmed. Maximum 32 Gig RAM for your computer.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatibl ... /rog-g20ci

According to Crucial, looks like ASUS cheaper out using an H170 chipset on a 7th generation processor.
Last edited by Gee on Nov 6th, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4243 posts
2590 upvotes
North York
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:29 am
I guess my ram speed is 2400 and I have 4 ram slots in this PC and my current 16GB ram is on one stick. If this is the case, then all I would need to do is buy another 16GB stick. But the thing is, shouldn't I have the exact same brand as what's in it now? I might have to call Asus to find out what brand stick is in it now.

I will double check to make sure my ram in it now is a 16GB stick because normally in these Asus gaming PC's, Asus puts them across 2 sticks. It's not common to find big ram sticks in pre-built desktops these days.

EDIT: I have confirmed that my PC for sure has (1) 16GB stick in it now. Nice! It has 4 slots and I'm wondering if my PC can take up to 64GB of ram.

check your motherboard's specs. Most likely it, as a newer board, would do 64gb.
I used to have mix match ddr3 ram on my older intel 3rd gen - 4th gen, and it worked okay. It will just go with the lowest speed ram. People suggested not to mix, but I did and had no issue for years.

I've also tried mixed ddr4 on my X99 LGA 2011-v3 for a few minutes and it worked fine.

I am not so sure about AM4, but I have had some rams not working (not compatible with ryzen). So if you are using Ryzen, I'd say not to mix them, sell this stick and buy compatible set.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25384 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
konsensei wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:45 am
check your motherboard's specs. Most likely it, as a newer board, would do 64gb.
Both the 6th and 7th generation board can go up to 64 Gig.

But I suspect he has an ITX board and that is limiting it to 32 gigs
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4243 posts
2590 upvotes
North York
Gee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:49 am
Both the 6th and 7th generation board can go up to 64 Gig.

But I suspect he has an ITX board and that is limiting it to 32 gigs
he just snapped a pic saying 1 of 4 slot.
itx board can still do 2x 32gb
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25384 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
konsensei wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:52 am
he just snapped a pic saying 1 of 4 slot.
itx board can still do 2x 32gb
I saw that. Check the link I provide from Crucial.

I have an ITX board and it supports 64 gig of memory. It’s the specific one he has that’s gimped.
Last edited by Gee on Nov 6th, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:45 am
I used to have mix match ddr3 ram on my older intel 3rd gen - 4th gen, and it worked okay. It will just go with the lowest speed ram. People suggested not to mix, but I did and had no issue for years.

I've also tried mixed ddr4 on my X99 LGA 2011-v3 for a few minutes and it worked fine.

I am not so sure about AM4, but I have had some rams not working (not compatible with ryzen). So if you are using Ryzen, I'd say not to mix them, sell this stick and buy compatible set.
It looks like I have an Asus mobo.

If I can find out the exact brand of ram currently in the PC, then I will try to cut costs (and the hassle of reselling my current stick) and get another of the same kind. Something tells me, it's most likely basic Kingston ram in now.

Also it's SO DIMM so it's laptop memory, that's surprising.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25384 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You definitely have an ASUS motherboard. It’s an ASUS gaming computer, why would they use someone else’s motherboard.

From my experience, ASUS uses Samsung OEM Memory modules. Never understood why they don’t dual channel the memory. They always use a single stick.

Most manufacturers use generic OEM Memory. No one uses branded memory.
Last edited by Gee on Nov 6th, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:41 am
If your computer is using SoDIMM, then you will need notebook memory.

My memory kit won’t work.
Darn
*** Update ***

Confirmed. Maximum 32 Gig RAM for your computer.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatibl ... /rog-g20ci

According to Crucial, looks like ASUS cheaper out using an H170 chipset on a 7th generation processor.
Thanks for the list. How come Crucial has the compability list and not asus on their site? I thought Crucial is a pure ram manufacturer?

If mine has 4 slots and maxes out at 32GB then I might as well buy (2)8GB sticks taking it that I can find the same brand of my current stick. Or if I cannot, then I might as well run (4) 8GB sticks over (2) 16GB sticks.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4243 posts
2590 upvotes
North York
Gee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:57 am
I saw that. Check the link I provide from Crucial.

I have an ITX board and it supports 64 gig of memory. It’s the specific one he has that’s gimped.
I wouldn't take crucial's website check as a trustable source for this.
H170 board can take 64gb. here's an example
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H1 ... fications/

With all that said, OP, You don't need 64gb ram. It has been shown in multiple tests that the improvement for any ram over 8gb is insignificant, for gaming - which why you bought an ASUS ROG in the first place, I assume.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25384 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:02 am
Thanks for the list. How come Crucial has the compability list and not asus on their site? I thought Crucial is a pure ram manufacturer?

If mine has 4 slots and maxes out at 32GB then I might as well buy (2)8GB sticks taking it that I can find the same brand of my current stick. Or if I cannot, then I might as well run (4) 8GB sticks over (2) 16GB sticks.
Micron (parent company of Crucial) is the manufacturer. Crucial is their retail brand.

4 sticks will cost you more than 2 sticks. Not sure why you need more memory. 16 should be plenty for gaming.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:02 am
You definitely have an ASUS motherboard. It’s an ASUS gaming computer, why would they use someone else’s motherboard.
that's what I was thinking too, Asus mobo.
From my experience, ASUS uses Samsung OEM Memory modules. Never understood why they don’t dual channel the memory. They always use a single stick.

Most manufacturers use generic OEM Memory. No one uses branded memory.
Thanks. That is not good. Not that Samsung memory isn't good but I would imagine that no retailer sells it. I'm sure Asus might sell you extra modules but at a cost.

So it's safe to say, get all new sticks and sell off the Samsung stick? I wish all these different brand sticks would be compatible with each other, I mean afterall it is 2017, not 1993.

If I can't find Samsung modules and have to get all new sticks then I might as well just get (4)8GB sticks because I was told it's better to run dual channel vs single sticks.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:05 am

With all that said, OP, You don't need 64gb ram. It has been shown in multiple tests that the improvement for any ram over 8gb is insignificant, for gaming - which why you bought an ASUS ROG in the first place, I assume.
I don't game. I bought this PC for video editing, photo editing, multi tasking with Adobe CS (Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, Premiere, etc).
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25384 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
konsensei wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:05 am
I trust Crucial more than ASUS. Intel specs for Sky Lake is 64 Gig at 2133. It says so right in the link you provided.

Everyone sells a dual channel kit. ASUS, cheaps out and gives you a single stick and perhaps provided a gimped Memory controller to limit it to 32 gigs. They cheaper out on the chipset too. Why didn’t they use a Kaby Lake Board that supports 2400

This is the reason why an enthusiast should build and not buy prebuilt.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4243 posts
2590 upvotes
North York
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:09 am
Thanks. That is not good. Not that Samsung memory isn't good but I would imagine that no retailer sells it. I'm sure Asus might sell you extra modules but at a cost.

So it's safe to say, get all new sticks and sell off the Samsung stick? I wish all these different brand sticks would be compatible with each other, I mean afterall it is 2017, not 1993.
Like I have mentioned before, there seems to be no harm of mixing rams. I have done so. If it is easier to buy another stick of 16gb, I don't see why you shouldn't
These low-cost Samsung rams that these systems use are lower 2400 or 2133 MHz rams, that don't even need heat-sink. So you might want to look at similar stick as I don't know what the lay-out inside ROG system. they might only take low-profile rams, maybe with no heatsink.
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:11 am
I don't game. I bought this PC for video editing, photo editing, multi tasking with Adobe CS (Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, Premiere, etc).
Well, I'd have chosen other computers over this, if it was for that purpose