Computers & Electronics

Why is it so pricey to go from 16GB DDR4 ram to 32gb?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 5:40 am
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9826 posts
887 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:19 am

I purchased it with an i5 6400 and an ASRock ITX motherboard board. Never put the system together and the CPU is still sealed in the box.
I'm going to pass. I was hoping for a higher speed. I want to upgrade my RAM and also use what I have for 2 different PC projects, but it seems like the best route is to go just buy for those projects and not upgrade my RAM until 2019... at which point, I may want a new PC.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25431 posts
2760 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:09 am
So it's safe to say, get all new sticks and sell off the Samsung stick? I wish all these different brand sticks would be compatible with each other, I mean afterall it is 2017, not 1993.
There are only three major providers for memory.

Micron (Crucial)
Samsung
Hynix (LG / Hyundai)

There are some smaller guys like Toshiba, TI, etc but 90% of the supply is provided by the 3 big guys

It's not that different brands are not compatible with each other. It has everything to do with the configuration of the module. The density and the timings.

It is just easier to tell everyone to get matching pairs, this ensures that they will work together. Mixing different modules with different densities will still work, but the memory will not run in dual channel. Dual channel allows the memory to interleave. If you managed to find identical modules (density) from different brands, it will work in dual channel

In your situation, you're not gaming, the speed differences will not matter to you. You're heavily invested into the Adobe framework and more memory will benefit you.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4175 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 6:50 pm
DDR4 desktop ram.

Everywhere I have looked, two 16GB sticks is $400 and up. Is 16GB sticks always this pricey? Is there a good time of the year to wait for where you can get a good sale on them?
I have not researched. But trying to locate a motherboard with 4 slots may be the solution. That also limits your choice and it definitely costs more
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Sep 16, 2006
669 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
Take the 16GB stick that's in there now out, read the label, find out exactly which mfg, speed, timings, and branding it has, buy identical 16GB stick Done. Much cheaper.
make sure it is a SODIMM not a DIMM. Otherwise will not fit.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
484 posts
122 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:43 am
Like I have mentioned before, there seems to be no harm of mixing rams. I have done so. If it is easier to buy another stick of 16gb, I don't see why you shouldn't
These low-cost Samsung rams that these systems use are lower 2400 or 2133 MHz rams, that don't even need heat-sink. So you might want to look at similar stick as I don't know what the lay-out inside ROG system. they might only take low-profile rams, maybe with no heatsink.

Well, I'd have chosen other computers over this, if it was for that purpose
Okay thanks. I will see what I can find at Mem Ex. Hopefully it's not very difficult to crack the case open on this PC. I will get 2400mhz. I am actually very curious to crack it open and see the inside, couldn't find anything online.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
484 posts
122 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 11:27 am
There are only three major providers for memory.

Micron (Crucial)
Samsung
Hynix (LG / Hyundai)

There are some smaller guys like Toshiba, TI, etc but 90% of the supply is provided by the 3 big guys

It's not that different brands are not compatible with each other. It has everything to do with the configuration of the module. The density and the timings.

It is just easier to tell everyone to get matching pairs, this ensures that they will work together. Mixing different modules with different densities will still work, but the memory will not run in dual channel. Dual channel allows the memory to interleave. If you managed to find identical modules (density) from different brands, it will work in dual channel

In your situation, you're not gaming, the speed differences will not matter to you. You're heavily invested into the Adobe framework and more memory will benefit you.
I see, thanks. I might be best off opening the case to see what I have first.

Once you get into the modules densities that is a bit too technical for me haha.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
484 posts
122 upvotes
After watching this video, I am re-considering doing the ram upgrade.

It looks like the GPU has to come out, as well as the entire fan cooling system, hard drive and heatsink too. Really? Uhh it's obviously not a simply plug and play.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25431 posts
2760 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 6:57 pm
Once you get into the modules densities that is a bit too technical for me haha.
Just count the number of chips and make a note of the capacity of each chip. See if there are chips on both sides etc.

Asus typically uses whoever is cheapest at the time of manufacturing. 90% sure it will be one of the three I listed. No heat sinks, just basic OEM modules
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
484 posts
122 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:17 pm
Just count the number of chips and make a note of the capacity of each chip. See if there are chips on both sides etc.

Asus typically uses whoever is cheapest at the time of manufacturing. 90% sure it will be one of the three I listed. No heat sinks, just basic OEM modules
Thanks I will keep that in mind.

I did manage to find a pic of the ram and what it looks like. this is from the i5 model that has 2 memory sticks.

If I can reference off this and not have to rip apart the PC just to find out, that would be awesome.

If I am not mistaken it looks like this one would work with it.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63647

I am surprised Mem Ex only sells two 2400mhz models.

It looks like amazon.ca has it for $25 less.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01BNJL8K2/ref ... nkCode=df0
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25431 posts
2760 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
That photo appears to be high density memory and it is Samsung OEM. There are 16 chips total per module

I can confirm that the Kingston module will work, but I can’t confirm that it will run in dual channel. It doesn’t really matter for your application since you’re not gaming.

I suggest you buy this and be done with it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-Single-PC ... +16gb+2133
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21650 posts
2407 upvotes
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:06 pm
After watching this video, I am re-considering doing the ram upgrade.

It looks like the GPU has to come out, as well as the entire fan cooling system, hard drive and heatsink too. Really? Uhh it's obviously not a simply plug and play.
Looks quite easy to me. : shrug : You have to remove a fan shroud and the heatsink...I'm guessing you haven't taken apart a lot of laptops, etc. because that doesn't even look like much (well I dunno how much had to be taken off to get to that point but looks like just the cover/outer casing.

What I don't understand is why he changed that one jumper (he mentions something about power but doesn't make it clear) and why on Earth he doesn't know what a jumper is called, lol. He just keeps calling them "pins" and instead of saying "move the jumper" he says you need to make sure you change it so the "pins" look different :rolleyes: If that guy can do all this, pretty sure you can too.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
484 posts
122 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:32 am
That photo appears to be high density memory and it is Samsung OEM. There are 16 chips total per module

I can confirm that the Kingston module will work, but I can’t confirm that it will run in dual channel. It doesn’t really matter for your application since you’re not gaming.

I suggest you buy this and be done with it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-Single-PC ... +16gb+2133
Thanks.

I can order the Crucial you posted but it's only 2133mhz, will this make a difference? Will both my ram sticks clock down to 2133?
Last edited by DiamondDallasPage on Nov 9th, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
484 posts
122 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:17 pm
Looks quite easy to me. : shrug : You have to remove a fan shroud and the heatsink...I'm guessing you haven't taken apart a lot of laptops, etc. because that doesn't even look like much (well I dunno how much had to be taken off to get to that point but looks like just the cover/outer casing.

What I don't understand is why he changed that one jumper (he mentions something about power but doesn't make it clear) and why on Earth he doesn't know what a jumper is called, lol. He just keeps calling them "pins" and instead of saying "move the jumper" he says you need to make sure you change it so the "pins" look different :rolleyes: If that guy can do all this, pretty sure you can too.
Thanks, I will order it and give it a try. I think I can do it, just used to plug and play ram. I've upgraded ram in desktops and laptops before but I am just used to popping off a cover and immediately being able to access the ram modules and slots right away.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:11 am
Price fixing? Is that allowed?
I'm pretty sure they have been caught doing this before. I'm not sure what the legal repercussions are. However they are doing it again. So I guess it's worth it for them.

It's just like OPEC and the price of oil. They artificially constrain supply to manipulate the market and inflate prices. RAM prices tend to go in waves like this. You have to know when to buy low. It's not always that simple though. Sometimes you need RAM right away and it's expensive. It's kind of hard holding off on a PC build when this is going to continue right through next year.
I am a Zoomer customer.