Computers & Electronics

Why is it so pricey to go from 16GB DDR4 ram to 32gb?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 5:40 am
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
That photo appears to be high density memory and it is Samsung OEM. There are 16 chips total per module

I can confirm that the Kingston module will work, but I can’t confirm that it will run in dual channel. It doesn’t really matter for your application since you’re not gaming.

I suggest you buy this and be done with it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-Single-PC ... +16gb+2133
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
DiamondDallasPage wrote: After watching this video, I am re-considering doing the ram upgrade.

It looks like the GPU has to come out, as well as the entire fan cooling system, hard drive and heatsink too. Really? Uhh it's obviously not a simply plug and play.
Looks quite easy to me. : shrug : You have to remove a fan shroud and the heatsink...I'm guessing you haven't taken apart a lot of laptops, etc. because that doesn't even look like much (well I dunno how much had to be taken off to get to that point but looks like just the cover/outer casing.

What I don't understand is why he changed that one jumper (he mentions something about power but doesn't make it clear) and why on Earth he doesn't know what a jumper is called, lol. He just keeps calling them "pins" and instead of saying "move the jumper" he says you need to make sure you change it so the "pins" look different :rolleyes: If that guy can do all this, pretty sure you can too.
Sep 4, 2016
904 posts
350 upvotes
Gee wrote: That photo appears to be high density memory and it is Samsung OEM. There are 16 chips total per module

I can confirm that the Kingston module will work, but I can’t confirm that it will run in dual channel. It doesn’t really matter for your application since you’re not gaming.

I suggest you buy this and be done with it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-Single-PC ... +16gb+2133
Thanks.

I can order the Crucial you posted but it's only 2133mhz, will this make a difference? Will both my ram sticks clock down to 2133?
Last edited by DiamondDallasPage on Nov 9th, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It took eight years for DDP Yoga to become an overnight sensation" - Diamond Dallas Page
Sep 4, 2016
904 posts
350 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Looks quite easy to me. : shrug : You have to remove a fan shroud and the heatsink...I'm guessing you haven't taken apart a lot of laptops, etc. because that doesn't even look like much (well I dunno how much had to be taken off to get to that point but looks like just the cover/outer casing.

What I don't understand is why he changed that one jumper (he mentions something about power but doesn't make it clear) and why on Earth he doesn't know what a jumper is called, lol. He just keeps calling them "pins" and instead of saying "move the jumper" he says you need to make sure you change it so the "pins" look different :rolleyes: If that guy can do all this, pretty sure you can too.
Thanks, I will order it and give it a try. I think I can do it, just used to plug and play ram. I've upgraded ram in desktops and laptops before but I am just used to popping off a cover and immediately being able to access the ram modules and slots right away.
"It took eight years for DDP Yoga to become an overnight sensation" - Diamond Dallas Page
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8102 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: Price fixing? Is that allowed?
I'm pretty sure they have been caught doing this before. I'm not sure what the legal repercussions are. However they are doing it again. So I guess it's worth it for them.

It's just like OPEC and the price of oil. They artificially constrain supply to manipulate the market and inflate prices. RAM prices tend to go in waves like this. You have to know when to buy low. It's not always that simple though. Sometimes you need RAM right away and it's expensive. It's kind of hard holding off on a PC build when this is going to continue right through next year.
Banned
Sep 16, 2006
1010 posts
236 upvotes
Barrie, ON
The picture was blurry AF but appears to be PC12800 DDR3 and you guys are talking about DDR4. Not knowing your ass from your elbow when it comes to these things doesn't make life easy for people.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
2448 posts
703 upvotes
Gee wrote: There are only three major providers for memory.

Micron (Crucial)
Samsung
Hynix (LG / Hyundai)

There are some smaller guys like Toshiba, TI, etc but 90% of the supply is provided by the 3 big guys

It's not that different brands are not compatible with each other. It has everything to do with the configuration of the module. The density and the timings.

It is just easier to tell everyone to get matching pairs, this ensures that they will work together. Mixing different modules with different densities will still work, but the memory will not run in dual channel. Dual channel allows the memory to interleave. If you managed to find identical modules (density) from different brands, it will work in dual channel

In your situation, you're not gaming, the speed differences will not matter to you. You're heavily invested into the Adobe framework and more memory will benefit you.
Which provider makes the memory that Corsair uses for their Vengenance line?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
TheRock2012 wrote: Which provider makes the memory that Corsair uses for their Vengenance line?
All he third party manufacturers (Kingston, Corsair, G-Skill etc) do spot buys, they will buy from one of the big 3 and rebrand their chips. Whoever is cheapest that day.

The only way to tell is by looking at the part number for the chip. Each manufacturer has its own variation.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
2448 posts
703 upvotes
Gee wrote: All he third party manufacturers (Kingston, Corsair, G-Skill etc) do spot buys, they will buy from one of the big 3 and rebrand their chips. Whoever is cheapest that day.

The only way to tell is by looking at the part number for the chip. Each manufacturer has its own variation.
Great thanks for that advice.
I will check the part # when I get it to know what I am getting that is hiding behind the brand badge.
Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
DiamondDallasPage wrote: I can order the Crucial you posted but it's only 2133mhz, will this make a difference? Will both my ram sticks clock down to 2133?
Your current stick is 2400, but I think it is only running at 2133 because the 170 chipset doesn’t support 2400 without over clocking.

It won’t make a difference in your case.

If you want, you can check in the BIOS to see what speed your memory is actually running at.
Mar 22, 2013
106 posts
52 upvotes
Quebec
Just looked up ram I bought last year vs price now, holy shit. Image
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Mistersprinkles wrote: The picture was blurry AF but appears to be PC12800 DDR3 and you guys are talking about DDR4. Not knowing your ass from your elbow when it comes to these things doesn't make life easy for people.
All you have to do is look up the model of his computer in any RAM configurator.

It is DDR4 SoDIMM

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)