Shopping Discussion

Why are some shoppers so indecisive and dump items in random spots or at the cash?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2015 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
404 upvotes
guysmiley8 wrote: Apparently, some people are anti-social animals. Forget about leaving stuff in random spots or near the cash...I don't even like it when people are inconsiderate by putting something back in the shelf in a disorganized or messy way. Products on the shelf are organized and stacked/arranged neatly in rows for display. Knocking boxes over, putting an item back on the wrong shelf, etc. is either going to make it more difficult for the next customer to find what they want, or some poor minimum-wage employee has to clean up the shelf after the slobs.

Have you tried to find a DVD or Blu-ray in one of the discount bins at ANY store? If they were ever neatly arranged in stacks or with the spines up, it won't be that way within a few hours. Try digging around the bin and finding that last copy of a movie you might want. Ugh.

Maybe this is just me, because I'm very particular about things.

Every day, I'm reminded of how much I hate people. :mad:

/rant over
Great rant. The very worst are those who insist on opening every package before they buy, then agree to buy and put back the package that they just opened and purchase an unopened package instead.

Go to The Bay in a couple of weeks for its January white sale and you will see bin after bin full of clearance sheets and duvets that have all been opened.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2125 posts
1079 upvotes
Ottawa
guysmiley8 wrote: Apparently, some people are anti-social animals. Forget about leaving stuff in random spots or near the cash...I don't even like it when people are inconsiderate by putting something back in the shelf in a disorganized or messy way. Products on the shelf are organized and stacked/arranged neatly in rows for display. Knocking boxes over, putting an item back on the wrong shelf, etc. is either going to make it more difficult for the next customer to find what they want, or some poor minimum-wage employee has to clean up the shelf after the slobs.
I know someone who manages a chain pharmacy store in a big city. He has crazy stories of the sociopaths who patronize his establishment. He's like a babysitter for big, adult babies.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2476 posts
250 upvotes
North York
rf134a wrote: Loses like this is why there are so few clerks working. Margin in the grocery game is around 2%.
Lol
That measly 2% seemed enough for Loblaws to buy out Shoppers for 12.4 Billion.

I don't really think they care if a few items get thrown out.

This "game" is much larger then people think.

Grocery stores make millions daily.

Otherwise they'd all of been closed if they didn't make a good profit.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus via Mobilicity $25 BTS unlimited talk/text/data

:lol: $5,000.00 CASH < 2 Minutes :lol:
:lol: McD's
Online Monopoly Winner :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2068 posts
359 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
eonibm wrote: I see it at Costco all the time. Frozen food thawing somewhere on a shelf outside a freezer. Don't people realize that only increases costs because it has to be thrown out? Worse still if it has thawed but some other shopper sees it and later puts it back in the freezer and then you unknowingly buy it and possibly get ill from thawed and refrozen food.

If I ever see someone do that at Costco I'm going to give them a piece of my mind.
I can't stand the slobs at Costco who stuff themselves with samples and leave the empty paper cups wherever they feel like. Lazy pigs is what they are, there are garbage bins at the end of every aisle. Do these people do this at home too!!! They must live like hoarders. Don't get me started on the Tim Horton's cups that lazy slobs just leave on store shelves.
May 28, 2012
10391 posts
2507 upvotes
Saskatoon
JACKIE26 wrote: I can't stand the slobs at Costco who stuff themselves with samples and leave the empty paper cups wherever they feel like. Lazy pigs is what they are, there are garbage bins at the end of every aisle. Do these people do this at home too!!! They must live like hoarders. Don't get me started on the Tim Horton's cups that lazy slobs just leave on store shelves.
It's not like you have to look very far for a garbage can at Costco...they're practically everywhere. I agree about the Tim's and Starbucks cups, horrible lazy people...it's even worse when it's not empty and they get knocked over.
Dec 18, 2013
533 posts
101 upvotes
Oh gosh! If you are blaming price increases on 'consumer destroying stuff' then I don't know if I agree with you, considering that my local Superstore throws TONS of stuff just because they are slightly damaged. FYI, They also have people working on floor to put things away. And they throw expired stuff instead of r

I bet ya that you are not paying money for the grocery itself, you are paying the salary of 20 managers, assisted manager and supervisors. You would think that they would sell almost-expired goods at reduced price but they would rather wait and throw these after they are expired because no body wants to buy expensive, expired stuff. They sure lack communications skills.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1377 posts
233 upvotes
RZKMycJT wrote: You know, I used to feel this way, but I was eventually broken by certain stores (a Safeway, multiple Walmart locations) which are so routinely understaffed that if I think it'll take longer to get through the line than to make another trip to a store some other time, I practically consider it my duty to abandon my cart/basket full of perishables in order to encourage the store to spend the money on having another clerk or two on duty.
I think the only way you'll ever "send a message" doing this is if you summon over a manager and say "You see all this? You just lost a sale". If you just randomly leave a cart full of stuff in an aisle, they're not going to assume anything about why it was left behind. Even then the message you'll send to the manager is more often going to be "that guy was a total jerk" rather than "he's right, I have a problem in my store".

I worked retail at Canadian Tire one summer and it was ridiculously eye-opening, both in terms of how self-centered and boorish some people are, and how hapless some employees are (I certainly was pushed out onto the floor with little training or knowledge, and people expected me to be an expert on everything).

I think the bottom line is some people simply don't have any manners. You might think "you wouldn't do this at a home, would you?" But they do. I have hosted parties where people just lay their trash anywhere or, even worse, I find it "creatively hidden" days later.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2125 posts
1079 upvotes
Ottawa
Arvilish wrote: Oh gosh! If you are blaming price increases on 'consumer destroying stuff' then I don't know if I agree with you, considering that my local Superstore throws TONS of stuff just because they are slightly damaged. FYI, They also have people working on floor to put things away. And they throw expired stuff instead of r.
Most of the dates on packages are "peak freshness" dates, not expiry dates. The Wall Street Journal explained it recently: http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-truth-b ... 1449597564

I know people who freak out and toss out food on the peak freshness date.
Dec 6, 2013
672 posts
243 upvotes
Ontario
I think some people actually avoid giving stuff to cashier because confrontation problem (looking like an ass for giving cashier 'work', etc.). But because they are lazy, they dump stuff wherever they please instead.

I absolutely despise the random meat toss. It's practically throwing that meat to the garbage.
:cool: