Personal Finance

Why are student credit cards limit a joke?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2012 9:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA

Why are student credit cards limit a joke?

The limit and lending guideline are a joke. They feel like a debit card. Can't ever make purchases with the limits they set.
56 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
qaz393 wrote: The limit and lending guideline are a joke. They feel like a debit card. Can't ever make purchases with the limits they set.
Because YOU'RE a student. Majority are unemployed,(some find PT work) so majority have no income.
Student loan default rates are crazy in and around 15%. If these students are defaulting on OSAP you better believe they're defaulting on any CC's they may have.

I personally think no students should be granted CC's
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
mikeymike1 wrote: Because YOU'RE a student. Majority are unemployed,(some find PT work) so majority have no income.
Student loan default rates are crazy in and around 15%. If these students are defaulting on OSAP you better believe they're defaulting on any CC's they may have.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

i make minimum wage and spend over 5k per month and pay off every single penny. i hate to pay off credit card early as that ruins my cash flow.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: Because YOU'RE a student. Majority are unemployed,(some find PT work) so majority have no income.

I agree, if you are a student, you should piggyback off your parent's cc and learn how to control cc.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
qaz393 wrote: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

i make minimum wage and spend over 5k per month
and pay off every single penny. i hate to pay off credit card early as that ruins my cash flow.
unless you sell drugs off the back of your van... if i were the cc company, i might reduce your limit. ;)
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
If you one day grow up to be an adult who has kids that are old enough to get credit cards, you'll understand why the limits are so low...
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
qaz393 wrote:
i make minimum wage and spend over 5k per month of my parents money and my parents pay off every single penny. i hate to pay off credit card early as that ruins my cash flow.

Fixed your statement for you

qaz393 wrote: i hate to pay off credit card early as that ruins my cash flow.
This is the exact reason why students should not get credit cards.

All I see you saying here is, "I only make the min payment so that I can use cash for other things. Yes I know students cards are almost always at 19.9% but if I gripe enough about the credit limits maybe they'll get increased so then I'll have that much more headroom to spend as I continue to only make the min payments per month. Don't want to pay any more, makes no sense"

The funny thing is, most students think the same way with perpetually maxed out cards through their entire schooling until they get tired of looking at it and then default on it.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
mikeymike1 wrote: Fixed your statement for you

This is the exact reason why students should not get credit cards.

All I see you saying here is, "I only make the min payment so that I can use cash for other things. Yes I know students cards are almost always at 19.9% but if I gripe enough about the credit limits maybe they'll get increased so then I'll have that much more headroom to spend as I continue to only make the min payments per month. Don't want to pay any more, makes no sense"

The funny thing is, most students think the same way with perpetually maxed out cards through their entire schooling until they get tired of looking at it and then default on it.
why would you default if you pay every month in full?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
qaz393 wrote: why would you default if you pay every month in full?
really?? :rolleyes:

well if you pay it off in full every month then there wouldn't be a need for an increase would there?
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
mikeymike1 wrote: really?? :rolleyes:

well if you pay it off in full every month then there wouldn't be a need for an increase would there?
they give a joke limit of 2k when i spend easiy 5-10k per month. i has to put money into the credit card so its like a debit card.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
qaz393 wrote: they give a joke limit of 2k when i spend easiy 5-10k per month. i has to put money into the credit card so its like a debit card.
The only JOKE here is this thread you've made

coopercold above hit the nail on the head
Apr 3, 2012
20 posts
NEPEAN
wait wait wait let me understand this

how and if you are you making minimum wage and paying back $5000.00-$10000.00 in full every month or am i missing something o_O ???

you thought you had it bad TD only gave me $500.00 visa when i was going to school to start then 3 years after that got a increase to $13500.00 and the card still is owing $0.00 as of right now with the other 7 credit cards i have

so in the end you are lucky that you got $2000.00 better then my $500.00 i had 2-4 years ago

other reasons they give you low limts are due to the fact you are a student and have low income and little to no credit history or payment history if any with the bank they want to see what you buy and and see if you repay what you owe on time from month to month or in full and yes other banks can see what you buy and use the funds for due to the fact we took out a cash advance once on my HBC MC then chase Sears MC increased our cash limt to the same as HBCs cash limit for some reason :|
Sep 3, 2008
355 posts
16 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: The only JOKE here is this thread you've made

coopercold above hit the nail on the head
If this dude didn't have 7300 posts I would deem him a troll.. so what gives?
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
qaz393 wrote: they give a joke limit of 2k when i spend easiy 5-10k per month. i has to put money into the credit card so its like a debit card.
If you have a spend like that, and you consistently pay it off, then I would be astonished if you had trouble finding a higher limit.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1469 posts
255 upvotes
Mods should reset this guys post count to zero -- clearly, increasing his post count seems to be his only motivation.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2204 posts
1395 upvotes
Etobicoke
Mark77 wrote: If you have a spend like that, and you consistently pay it off, then I would be astonished if you had trouble finding a higher limit.
+1

Bank will increase you limit quickly if they deem you a safe bet. This is a horrible troll thread.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mark77 wrote: If you have a spend like that, and you consistently pay it off, then I would be astonished if you had trouble finding a higher limit.
+1

This is why I refrained from posting until now.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
coopercold wrote: To make $5000 (pretax) a month at Ontario's minimum wage ($10.25), one would have to work over 487 hours a month, or approximately 16 hours per day -- every single day.

Therefore, your statements, erm, don't compute (I'm trying to be kind)..
You're likely underestimating the number of hours. If he was spending $60K per year that is AFTER-tax $. He'd have to make $80K which would require working more than 20 hours every single day.
Aug 18, 2004
307 posts
37 upvotes
This is the same guy who been posting in the MBNA thread telling people he's been phoning his CC grantors and report income increase to $70,000 so he can get a limit increase.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)