Computers & Electronics

Why is there no unlock available for new BB ????

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2011 11:50 am
Tags:
None
Mar 15, 2009
487 posts
52 upvotes

Why is there no unlock available for new BB ????

Can someone explain me why there's no unlock for most of the up to date baseband ?

I have an iPhone 4 32Gb ... bud sadly it is nothing more than a fancy iPod because I have 03.10.01 BB and it's not unlockable. I have to use my old and slow 3gs.

I gave up months ago, realizing they give new updates for new iOS but never about BB downgrading. Why ? Is it too complicated now ?

I'm looking at the iphonewiki : http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware
and only BB 01.59.00 is unlockable. I know I can't blame them because everything we have so far is completely free but... what's happening dev team ? Are they dead ? Paid millions by Apple to never release updates ?
7 replies
Sep 11, 2011
149 posts
22 upvotes
EAST YORK
Korozive wrote: Can someone explain me why there's no unlock for most of the up to date baseband ?

I have an iPhone 4 32Gb ... bud sadly it is nothing more than a fancy iPod because I have 03.10.01 BB and it's not unlockable. I have to use my old and slow 3gs.

I gave up months ago, realizing they give new updates for new iOS but never about BB downgrading. Why ? Is it too complicated now ?

I'm looking at the iphonewiki : http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware
and only BB 01.59.00 is unlockable. I know I can't blame them because everything we have so far is completely free but... what's happening dev team ? Are they dead ? Paid millions by Apple to never release updates ?

I've said this before, but ever since iPhones were available for sale factory unlocked there hasn't been a real "need" for a software unlock. That said, McLaren__F1 has provided the link you should check for any new development.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
Why not buy an iPhone supported by your carrier or get an unlocked one? The demand for unlocking is much lower than before because Apple sells them unlocked and most carriers support them. Focus is now on an A5 jailbreak. FWIW, a new UltraSn0w is set for Monday and will support newer BBs.
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
Anyone else think BB meant "blackberry"? Maybe you can change your title to reflect iphone.
Nov 22, 2011
39 posts
5 upvotes
KILLALOE
YLSF wrote: Anyone else think BB meant "blackberry"? Maybe you can change your title to reflect iphone.

Yeah I saw and BB and 1st though was blackberry but then see no unlock and then realized without opening its about iphone.

Anyways for the OP, 3gs where able to change baseband to a ipad to unlock. But the new basebands get tougher and tough to get into, as they close previous issue and or recode from scratch to make breaking harder the next time. We did see a few weeks ago @musclenerd breaking into a 4s baseband, but no updates.

Have you checked out gevey sim adapters to unlock? )Or why not just offer up a trade for trade your providered iphone for provider you require then no glorified ipod, many can't get there providers phones or not in stock and will buy another in hopes of trading someone.
Nov 22, 2011
39 posts
5 upvotes
KILLALOE
Kasakato wrote: Why not buy an iPhone supported by your carrier or get an unlocked one? The demand for unlocking is much lower than before because Apple sells them unlocked and most carriers support them. Focus is now on an A5 jailbreak. FWIW, a new UltraSn0w is set for Monday and will support newer BBs.

Incorrect, the new ultra snow was to work on newer firmware( 5.0.1 ) no updates and was released yesterday early. They stated by monday will be released but they got finished early. Its meant as well to help keep your baseband and making custome firmware to upgrade firmware as well,