PC & Video Games

Why are there so many ppl who hate and make fun of pokemon go?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2016 7:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
Is Pokemon GO really a kids game when the largest demographic playing this game are 20-somethings?

I highly doubt Niantic and Nintendo are targeting kids with Pokemon GO. Pokemon does not have the same clout or significance with children as it did in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Moreover, you'd need a relatively powerful smartphone and data service to play this game. There are not enough children worldwide that have that luxury.

Pokemon GO is similar to Angry Birds, Temple Run, Candy Crush and Clash of Clans as they mobile games that are accessible to all ages.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Redmask wrote: What makes you think it will only be relevant for a little while?

I only played it a bit and decided it wasn't for me so I'm not sure about its longevity.
People will get bored of it quick. It's inevitable just like all other games.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
To be fair, the popularity for the game is pretty insane, to the extent that it can cause nuisance for others. For the regular guys who want to take a nice stroll in a park that's now a pokestop hotspot, they find that it's no longer possible to do so. There's also a lot of negativity in the media about people getting injured, injuring others, robbing others, etc. This, in conjunction with the fact that the game really doesn't have a meaning (games rarely do) causes the haters to hate.

I see the good and the bad side, but i've asked some business owners whether Pokemon has helped their business (restaurant on a busy street where there are quite a few pokestops) and he said while traffic is a lot higher now, those people don't actually bring in more business. There are just more guys standing in front of the store more than anything.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
The game is probably going to need more depth for long term interest.

I suspect once major advertisers get involved, such as JigglypoopExtreme can only be found at Walmarts ... etc etc interest will continue.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
ksimms3 wrote: Found someone around my pool looking for a Goldeen.
Address? I actually need a few more candies to evolve my goldeen. :D
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11802 posts
620 upvotes
squadz wrote: So because you're 30 years old, your life is over already?

I would have felt sorry for you, and completely missed your subtle insult.

Same way I feel sorry for every boomer I see where their hobby is which Costco to go to on Saturday's.
I think Costco visits are pretty pointless as well, but as an adult they are more worthwhile than playing Pokémon Go.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
mbg wrote: I think Costco visits are pretty pointless as well, but as an adult they are more worthwhile than playing Pokémon Go.
Your both wrong. PokeMon Go and visits to Costco are both amazing. I like to combine the two.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1148 posts
492 upvotes
kmarcie wrote: To be fair, the popularity for the game is pretty insane, to the extent that it can cause nuisance for others. For the regular guys who want to take a nice stroll in a park that's now a pokestop hotspot, they find that it's no longer possible to do so. There's also a lot of negativity in the media about people getting injured, injuring others, robbing others, etc. This, in conjunction with the fact that the game really doesn't have a meaning (games rarely do) causes the haters to hate.

I see the good and the bad side, but i've asked some business owners whether Pokemon has helped their business (restaurant on a busy street where there are quite a few pokestops) and he said while traffic is a lot higher now, those people don't actually bring in more business. There are just more guys standing in front of the store more than anything.
Haha I actually think the businesses benefiting the most from Pokemon GO are hot dog cart vendors and portable battery charger manufacturers
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
Unhappy people generally don't like to see other people having fun.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
blarg wrote: Haha I actually think the businesses benefiting the most from Pokemon GO are hot dog cart vendors and portable battery charger manufacturers
Actually, I read some case studies from a few businesses that dropped lures (they were lucky enough to be beside or on a pokestop) and saw a 400% ROI.

How long it will last, who knows, but there's money to be made.
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
kmarcie wrote: For the regular guys who want to take a nice stroll in a park that's now a pokestop hotspot, they find that it's no longer possible to do so.
Seems like a classic case of NIMBYism. Having extra people out and about in no way prevents people from taking a stroll in the park. If anything, I'm actually finding it pretty cool to see so many people out and about everywhere even quite late into the evening. It's a nice change from seeing mostly drunk yelling idiots walking around at night.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
mbg wrote: I think Costco visits are pretty pointless as well, but as an adult they are more worthwhile than playing Pokémon Go.
But not as worthwhile as posting your displeasure of a popular game on forums. :razz:
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
That means that they are also more worthwhile than playing _any_ game, or any form of entertainment, right?
Nov 28, 2011
888 posts
399 upvotes
Markham
miserable bitter people will b*tch at anything
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
squadz wrote: Actually, I read some case studies from a few businesses that dropped lures (they were lucky enough to be beside or on a pokestop) and saw a 400% ROI.

How long it will last, who knows, but there's money to be made.
A church near has a pokestop right on it ... it regularly has a lure and there is no one around. My guess is someone associated with the church is dropping it.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
raspeed wrote: A church near has a pokestop right on it ... it regularly has a lure and there is no one around. My guess is someone associated with the church is dropping it.
Have to do something while waiting for God to respond to a prayer.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11802 posts
620 upvotes
qualdoth wrote: That means that they are also more worthwhile than playing _any_ game, or any form of entertainment, right?
Not sure about that. Some games require a bit of intelligence and/or skill.

But if I have to pick yes or no, then.... "yes".

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)