Shopping Discussion

Why is there such a markup on Gillette blades (Costco C$56 for 20 versus $25US) ?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2010 2:53 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 10, 2009
120 posts
1 upvote

Why is there such a markup on Gillette blades (Costco C$56 for 20 versus $25US) ?

Difference is $49.99 + 13% HST = $56 versus $25 US.

Alternatively, what's the cheapest canadian retailer to buy the blades from ?
15 replies
Jan 8, 2007
429 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
yeah seriously, way too expensive
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Any online retailers that can ship over to Canada? I am appalled by the canadian markup.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Someone could just set up an ebay shop or something, it'd be some pretty easy money until the stores adjusted their prices. Hell, I'd do it myself if I still drove.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
I remember 5yra i bought some blades via ebay. I think they came from overseas but not completely sure. I used them for a week or so and though to myself , "something isn't right" about these blades. Low and behold they were fakes, I contacted Gillette and they told me they were fakes and I think Gilette sent me out some coupons.

Just be aware.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
I pay about 2-3 cents per blade max! :P

Switched off of multi-blade cartridges a few years ago, and never looked back!

DE Razors are the way to goo.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
648 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
There is an ASININE markup on everything here, over the USA. It was horrible before, and now with this idiotic "revenue neutral :lol: " 13% hst, it is almost down right criminal. That's what happens when there are but a handful of corporate goons in collusion with one another, running the show up here for everything with the governments blessing. :mad: (damn family holding me here in Ontario and not allowing me to move back to the States)
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
We all collectively turn around, spread them wide and take it. Why would they lower their prices?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
RFD_acct wrote: Difference is $49.99 + 13% HST = $56 versus $25 US.
Where did you see these for $25? Link, please.
"I count as braver he who conquers his desires than he who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over the self." - Aristotle
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
redgrandam wrote: I pay about 2-3 cents per blade max! :P

Switched off of multi-blade cartridges a few years ago, and never looked back!

DE Razors are the way to goo.
Where'd you get the DE? eBay? I think Personal Edge also sells one.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Nook wrote: Where'd you get the DE? eBay? I think Personal Edge also sells one.
yeah, you can get it from ebay, but I wanted a solid brand new one to start with, so I bought an Edwin Jagger from here http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/ About $30 shipped, no taxes, from the UK to here for the cheapest one, which is what I got. (http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... 20razors@b)

Blades I got from here: http://www.shavingfactory.com 500 derby blades for 44.99 shipped when I bought them(I think the price has gone down to $41.99 shipped from the looks of it), use coupon code 'bb' for a discount (I think it's 15% off)

Actually that's about 11 cents per blade, my bad, but still :)

I also don't buy shave cream, actually nothing from gillette... real shave soap and brush, that also saves a LOT of money... I bought some german shave soap around $15 shipped, and used daily it could easily last a year, but I don't use it every day, I alternate, and that stuff is really good..

If anyone wants to know more about the above stuff, PM me and I'll send you a link to another forum that I got most of my information from to get into this, I'm just not sure if we can post to other forums on here or not :)
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
That's pretty cool, I'll have a look at the site. Shaving with those Gilette blades isn't working out for me anymore, it's hard to get a proper shave now.

I heard a good brush to make your own lather works well. Especially with a cut-throat. But that's super hardcore - can't imagine having to hone it with a strap and resharpening ever so often. But I'll have a look at the DE stuff, thanks for the link.
Jan 5, 2006
606 posts
40 upvotes
Whitby
redgrandam wrote: yeah, you can get it from ebay, but I wanted a solid brand new one to start with, so I bought an Edwin Jagger from here http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/ About $30 shipped, no taxes, from the UK to here for the cheapest one, which is what I got. (http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... 20razors@b)

Blades I got from here: http://www.shavingfactory.com 500 derby blades for 44.99 shipped when I bought them(I think the price has gone down to $41.99 shipped from the looks of it), use coupon code 'bb' for a discount (I think it's 15% off)

Actually that's about 11 cents per blade, my bad, but still :)

I also don't buy shave cream, actually nothing from gillette... real shave soap and brush, that also saves a LOT of money... I bought some german shave soap around $15 shipped, and used daily it could easily last a year, but I don't use it every day, I alternate, and that stuff is really good..

If anyone wants to know more about the above stuff, PM me and I'll send you a link to another forum that I got most of my information from to get into this, I'm just not sure if we can post to other forums on here or not :)
Couldn't agree more!! Do a search on manic59 on youtube. This guy converted me to DE shaving.
Mar 17, 2009
203 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
Never used a blade in my life. Pay for a Braun electric at Costco every 5/6 years. Works out to about $20 a year for me.

I, too, look at the price for the high end blades and scratch my head.
Jan 10, 2009
120 posts
1 upvote
Wingding wrote: Where did you see these for $25? Link, please.

Costco/Sam's Club/Walgreens/CVS in the US sell them for $1.25 a cartridge or in bulk at 20 cartridges for about $25.

The blades themselves are made by Proctor & Gamble for about a quarter or less.

Just shocked at the > 200% markup in canada versus the US for many basic things.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9474 posts
2650 upvotes
Periodically head on over to the freebies forum and order yourself a few razors when both Gillette and Schick offer them. There was a photo on here of an RFD'er who had a whole box of them (not me).