Off Topic Archive

Locked: Why are white and blue LEDs more expensive?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2005 5:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
5485 posts
375 upvotes

Why are white and blue LEDs more expensive?

supremetronic sell white/blue/purple + all cool color LEDs for $1.50 each
whereas the red and crappy colors go for 20 cents each
thats a rip off consider that i can get white/blue LED at dollaroma for a dollar with batteries included
are they jacking up the price or do they really cost more?
Share:
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
2983 posts
176 upvotes
Waterloo
Supply and demand. White and blue LEDS are in more demand perhaps?
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2002
2378 posts
16 upvotes
They're made differently.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2003
1330 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
i heard that the material used to make both blue and the white are much harder to find then other colors
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
5485 posts
375 upvotes
also the clear green/clear purple go for over a dollar as well
but the clear amber/clear red are 20 cents each
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
5433 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
White and blue LEDs actually cost more to make, I think only in the recent few years has the breakthrough came that allows them to work.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7917 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
MizTEcK wrote:^pffft i thought there was actually an answer if you googled it hah
there is if u click on the first link (wikipedia)
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2004
1100 posts
they give out more mcd and use 3.3v instead of 2.1 like green and red
plus they got the sexy factor ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2005
5625 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
yeah at the hardware store i work at, during christmas out white/blue LED strings of lights are usually $5-$10 more for a package. they told us (the PK guys) that it was because in order to get the blue and white, they must go thgrough every other colour first. our reds, greens, etc were all cheeper and the same price.

aswell, i dont know if you've ever noticed, and on newer LED's .. my phone for example, the white LED is vary white. the ones we had for last christmas had a blueish tint to them.

LED's are the future. once we figure out how to direct them and make them brighter, they'll be replacing bulbs for headlights. many car manufacterers are already using them for rear, brake, and signal lights.

:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2002
4150 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Byrns wrote:They're made differently.
Slightly different material is used , and yes that is why the cost is slightly different. Plus Blue/white is a recent developemnt. Pink/Purple is even newer I think.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1913 posts
39 upvotes
yeah material is different as well as the light output and current needed to produce the light .

but if u are looking for leds buying from stores or even hardware stores they will always rip u off. a while back i was looking around for a dozen leds ( needed about 24 for a project of mine) all places downtown had the cheapest "superbrights" at 1.50 - 1.00 . meanwhile if u were to buy them off the net in the links i provided above they cost about 20 cents each .

radio shack , active electronics even places in chinatown hugely overprice there leds .
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2003
3306 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
I believe its because those colors are the newer generation of LED's. I havent used them in any of my electric circuits but when I started playing with electronics back in like 95 96, all my LEDs were red.
SMSEM v2.6 - Master System/Game Gear/Sega Genesis emulator
2600K-4Ghz|Asus P8P67 PRO|16GB DDR3-1600|HD7950 3GB|Mushkin Enh Eco 2 240GB|1TB|2TB|Creative SB XFi|BD-RW|2x 24" LCD
× < >