Shopping Discussion

Why would anyone shop at William Sonoma?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2015 7:06 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
335 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Why would anyone shop at William Sonoma?

Can anyone please help me grasp this? Is there something I'm missing? Why would anyone pay 2-3x the price at WS for small appliances (kitchenaid mixer, vitamix etc) when they can get the same thing for at least half the price WS is selling at, regular price anywhere else?
40 replies
Nov 1, 2006
397 posts
217 upvotes
My wife used to shop at WS outlet in the US. There were stuff there that you cannot buy anywhere. We were very price conscious, deals can be had if you know what to buy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8362 posts
1343 upvotes
Toronto
Got to flex your richness. People don't aspire to make all that money to bank it and live humbly.

You got's to show off.
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
335 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gh05t wrote:
Feb 6th, 2015 2:46 pm
Got to flex your richness. People don't aspire to make all that money to bank it and live humbly.

You got's to show off.
I'm thinking this too. Surely, no "real" rich person is that stupid. Only "new money" people who are too excited and eager to prove themselves. Catch my drift? :P Or...people who don't earn enough but have to show others that they are somehow very rich..low self-esteem I presume.

I remember one person making a comment on how you could go purchase an item at the crappy wholesaler (ie he was talking about Costco) but he kept boasting how his was from WS. Even though they were the same thing! And he said, wow you guys shop at Costco? I would never step foot in there. NEW MONEY *cough* inheritance. :facepalm: LOL
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12381 posts
3397 upvotes
Ottawa
leta01 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2015 2:40 pm
My wife used to shop at WS outlet in the US. There were stuff there that you cannot buy anywhere. We were very price conscious, deals can be had if you know what to buy.
Yes, the outlet had some hot deals when we were last in the Boston outlet. There were things that were unique and there were some great deals on kitchen gadgets like scales, knives, quality cutting boards, slicers/graters and other items (I confirmed they were a good deal by checking against amazon.com prices on my phone). We bought a lot of stuff that day (adding the factory outlet coupon helped too)
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
335 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, ON
But, that's the US. Not Canada. I know US has some amazing deals. But why would anyone shop in Canada?
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1100 upvotes
b1xvuk wrote:
Feb 6th, 2015 2:53 pm
I'm thinking this too. Surely, no "real" rich person is that stupid. Only "new money" people who are too excited and eager to prove themselves. Catch my drift? :P Or...people who don't earn enough but have to show others that they are somehow very rich..low self-esteem I presume.

I remember one person making a comment on how you could go purchase an item at the crappy wholesaler (ie he was talking about Costco) but he kept boasting how his was from WS. Even though they were the same thing! And he said, wow you guys shop at Costco? I would never step foot in there. NEW MONEY *cough* inheritance. :facepalm: LOL
[IMG]http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ ... ndwich.jpg[/IMG]
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Nov 1, 2006
397 posts
217 upvotes
b1xvuk wrote:
Feb 6th, 2015 2:58 pm
But, that's the US. Not Canada. I know US has some amazing deals. But why would anyone shop in Canada?
you're right. Even when the Canadian Dollar used to be at par, the WS prices were about 20% more than the US price :(
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3189 posts
661 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I've never bought a high end item from WS. But are they actually the *exact* same item that you can get elsewhere? Or are they a slightly different special edition version of the item. Not saying that the SE version is actually better and worth the extra cost, but it is technically different and maybe that's what they're trying to defend themselves on.

But otherwise WS does sometiems have some unique items that aren't easily findable locally or even easily online. Especially in the small kitchen tools. At one point they had these particular spatuals who's design were the best thing ever for scraping curved bowls. couldn't find them anywhere else without international shipping fees even online.
Oct 7, 2004
999 posts
116 upvotes
They definitely have stuff (utensils usually) that aren't available elsewhere.
Dec 17, 2003
282 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
So I shop at WS. I ended up snagging a Cusineart ICE-21 ice cream maker with an extra bowl for $30USD. The extra bowl itself is worth $30.

I think you question should be, why do you spend money on regular priced items when you can wait for sales.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12381 posts
3397 upvotes
Ottawa
I think kevinck is on the right track. I would never buy any of the brands you can buy elsewhere (e.g. Breville) but they have their own branded items and offer some unique items.

My wife was looking for a good quality insulated baking pan and she was able to find one that was the perfect size there. It wasn’t cheap (William Sonoma branded) but it was good quality and she wasn’t able to find any other similar pan (online or not)

We’ve also bought some specialty food items (e.g. Sprinkle's premade cupcake powder and Serendipity hot chocolate powder) which we’ve never seen anywhere else.

but I think that the staff is fairly knowledgeable and can give good advice if you have kitchen gadget questions.

We don’t have any WS stores in Ottawa but we have other specialty/upscale kitchen stores in Ottawa and they are also similarly (over)priced (mostly selling for nearly/full MSRP) I guess there’s a market for higher end kitchen gadget stores. I don’t think WS is any more expensive than those.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12622 posts
1969 upvotes
City of Vancouver
b1xvuk wrote:
Feb 6th, 2015 2:30 pm
Can anyone please help me grasp this? Is there something I'm missing? Why would anyone pay 2-3x the price at WS when they can get the same thing for at least half the price WS is selling at, regular price anywhere else?
Are u predicting that Williams Sonoma will be closing their Canadian stores and leaving the country in the near future?
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
335 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Becks wrote:
Feb 6th, 2015 10:06 pm
Are u predicting that Williams Sonoma will be closing their Canadian stores and leaving the country in the near future?
Yes. Exactly. Along with Wendys who never seem to use their 1st window anymore (no need). Lol