Shopping Discussion

Why would anyone shop at William Sonoma?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2015 7:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20826 posts
6868 upvotes
The same reason people pay $8.95 at Starbucks for a "coffee" (which I use lightly since most people order what amounts to a milkshake) with their Macbook that's priced $500 more than it should be.
May 28, 2012
10106 posts
2277 upvotes
Saskatoon
My pastry scraper is from WS, got it in California almost twenty years ago...it's a really good quality product. If it's something that will last a lifetime, I don't have any issue with paying a bit more...I do appreciate a good sale though. ;)
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
335 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mars2012 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2015 10:59 pm
My pastry scraper is from WS, got it in California almost twenty years ago...it's a really good quality product. If it's something that will last a lifetime, I don't have any issue with paying a bit more...I do appreciate a good sale though. ;)
No of course not. But again, you got yours in the US. So it doesnt count. I was also mainly was talking about small kitchen appliances and WS Canada.

I should have clarified earlier. I bought my pro 300 vitamix for $500 and ws has it for near $1000. Or the kitchenaid mixers. Theyre priced 2x the price in other stores.
Feb 3, 2011
297 posts
63 upvotes
Markham
I have bought many things from WS - but this is because I am an avid baker. I find that they have products I can't find elsewhere, and the quality of their baking pans/sheets are the best I've tried. They still sell the quality, heavy Emile Henry pieces that I can't find elsewhere. The ones from the Bay or Winners are just not the same.

I've never bought something from there that I could buy at another store. Although I have a friend who gets everything from there and does so because they're almost like Costco in terms of returns/replacements. Will take almost anything back, and won't refer you to the manufacturer for warranty. Again, not my experience, just what I've heard.
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
119 upvotes
Kitchener
People get caught up in the moment of being in a nice store and wanting to show that they are rich
Apr 15, 2007
274 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
I was looking for a high quality wooden cooking utensils that didn't crack after a few months of use, I found some made by a Canadian company called Littledeer at WS. It was more expensive but I don't regret buying them at all.
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
335 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yeah but those are not appliances..........
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2983 posts
450 upvotes
I bought the Breville Mini Smart Toaster oven at WS. The cost was the same as at the Bay.

What is funny is that there is a hardware store on Bayview that charges considerably more for Barkeepers Friend than WS. I pointed this out to the store owner assuming it was a pricing error on the store's part. It wasn't an error. Things are bad when products at WS are considerably cheaper than at a hardware store.

Then several people came in to ask the price of the 5 kg jug of ice melter since the price was not shown on the window display. Cost was $24.99 a jug. Price at Sobeys was $8.99. Yes, supplies of ice melter were scare but not that scarce.

This particular hardware store is not doing well.
Apr 21, 2014
45 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
W-S has a lot of exclusive items that are pretty neat. I got myself an All-Clad waffle maker that only they carry... It's been great and I love it!

When it's sale time, you can find some pretty cool things that are really marked down. Last week, I got a set of 4 snowflake cookie cutters that were marked down to $1! Yes, you can find cookie cutters anywhere, but at 25 cents per piece, do you really want to go hunting?!
I also got some shape cutters to top pies that were $1.97 or something. My total came to $3.xx -- I was stunned.

Also, just a note that some W-S stores now price match! Yes! BUT, they are not the best at it... They won't PM a sale price... only another store's regular price.
I wanted to buy a Philips Airfryer that they are selling for I believe $349? The Bay had it on sale for $249.99 and their regular price is $299.99 so they would only PM the $299... What's the point of that? I might as well go to The Bay and get it at the sale price -_-"

All in all, it's a fun store to look around. They've got some fun things and a great return/"warranty" policy!
Apr 21, 2014
45 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Blanche123 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2015 9:39 am
What is funny is that there is a hardware store on Bayview that charges considerably more for Barkeepers Friend than WS.
How much is Bar Keepers Friend at WS? I've been meaning to get some of this... I didn't do much of a search but I thought I'd have to order it online!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5288 posts
919 upvotes
a) because not everyone is poor and cares about saving $5 or $500
b) WS sells nicer things than Walmart - if you want All Clad pans or a Bronze KA Mixer with a nice shopping environment - WS is usually the place to go
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5288 posts
919 upvotes
jlebeann wrote:
Feb 9th, 2015 12:54 am
How much is Bar Keepers Friend at WS? I've been meaning to get some of this... I didn't do much of a search but I thought I'd have to order it online!
under $3 i think
Jun 3, 2010
794 posts
192 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jlebeann wrote:
You can also go to Cayne's the Super Hoseware Store just north of Toronto (Yonge & Steeles area - Doncaster Ave). They sell the 12oz container for $2.99.

And back to the original question of buying stuff at WS - specifically the small kitchen appliances - I don't know. I have always bought the appliances from other places, like Cayne's or Amazon.ca / Amazon.com Well, that is not exactly true. I have bough a Waring Pro blender and All-Clad waffle maker. But these appliances were all on-sale...They were found "under" the clearance table, which is the place I always look at when in WS. Sometimes you find some decent deals there. As for regular price, no-way. "Only suckers shop retail" - that's my motto.

Other things I have bought from WS? I bought the Zeroll Ice Cream Scoop from them and a couple of All-Clad pans when they were on sale...Well, the US store anyway, which was cheaper than the Canadian store to begin with. These are items that I saw were basically the same price everywhere I looked, and since there was sale at WS at the time, I picked up those items.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2983 posts
450 upvotes
jlebeann wrote:
I bought my last batch at Home Homeware - the price was $3.99 for the liquid. The powder was about the same price I think.

A couple of years ago I did buy the liquid at WS because I couldn't find it anywhere in Toronto and paid just under $6. Actually had I seen your post before today I could have checked since I was on Bloor yesterday.

But the hardware store in question that I will not shop at wanted $9.99 for the liquid!

I need Barkeepers Friend for the white sink in the kitchen. There used to be a great product made by Hope's that was for white kitchen sinks but it was discontinued. The one for Porcelain sinks just did not do the job.
Mar 27, 2007
534 posts
35 upvotes
Okanagan
I found Bar Keeps Friend at Canadian Tire. Think it was $4. The same product in our small town specialty kitchen store was $9 and there were some missing from the display, so someone was buying them.

If the rich only want to shop in high end stores for their status, let them. It'll keep them in business in case I need a unique product.