Wheels and Tires

This is why you don't cheap out on tires...

[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
178 posts
162 upvotes
Hamilton

This is why you don't cheap out on tires...

So I was driving with my fiancee on the highway, and we start to hear a faint rumbling, we pull off to an exit and near to a parking lot to investigate, and its getting much worse as we pull in.
The main part of the tire had completely separated from the rim.... I personally never seen this type of tire failure before but I think this just stuck the line with me to always pay the premium price for a premium tire...

As you can see, it literally separated perfectly from the sidewalls.. which is oddly satisfying to see but damn is that dangerous...
I realize this specific tire is not actually Chinese like I thought, but I personally never heard of the brand NordFrost
Last edited by Sonduren on Jan 13th, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
61 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10700 posts
777 upvotes
Brampton
Wow! I would change all the tires on the car.

Now is it possible that the rim cut the tire off completely like that? How far did you drive once the tire went flat?
Last edited by cheapmeister on Jan 13th, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27571 posts
13499 upvotes
Ottawa
How's the R8 btw?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9976 posts
2328 upvotes
Markham
So you make the title of don't buy cheap tires for your car. Why don't you educate your gf to don't buy these cheap tires at the first place? (Assume that she bought the tires for her car and not a left over one from her family or previous owner)

Btw, glad that your gf and anyone in the car was ok when it happened.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
178 posts
162 upvotes
Hamilton
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:41 pm
So you make the title of don't buy cheap tires for your car. Why don't you educate your gf to don't buy these cheap tires at the first place? (Assume that she bought the tires for her car and not a left over one from her family or previous owner)

Btw, glad that your gf and anyone in the car was ok when it happened.
Yea so these tires and rims came with the car when she bought it last year, this is the first year we swapped to this set from the previous owner. There was no damage to the rims or tires when we inspected it so I gave it the okay.
Lesson learned for me, even cheap brand tires in good condition.... may not be worth it after all...

Thanks man glad no one was hurt
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
178 posts
162 upvotes
Hamilton
qaz393 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:34 pm
Nordfrost = CT?
Good question, I am doing some digging now looks like they are available via online tires websites like 1010tires
Probably in CT as well, just need to check. I personally never heard of the brand myself
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5072 posts
4505 upvotes
Montreal
First, get your facts straight. Nordfrost is Gislaved. Swedish and not Chinese. Millions of of these tires have been sold,

This could have been caused by anything, pick one.

Manufacturing defect

Underinflation

Overinflation

Improper flat repair

Bubble on sidewall near the tread

Steel cord failure

Curb damage

Pothole damage
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9976 posts
2328 upvotes
Markham
Sonduren wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:45 pm
Good question, I am doing some digging now looks like they are available via online tires websites like 1010tires
Probably in CT as well, just need to check. I personally never heard of the brand myself
I think the one from CT is Goodyear Nordic, which shouldn't be that bad.
and the one she has are:

https://www.gislaved-tyres.com/car/tyres/nordfrost-200

Heard about them but never on my shopping list.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Apr 29, 2017
392 posts
528 upvotes
Isn't that a gislaved tire? Not Chinese I don't think, scandanvian like nokian. Maybe just a defected tire, or could be under inflated and riding on the shoulders
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27571 posts
13499 upvotes
Ottawa
ottofly wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:46 pm
First, get your facts straight. Nordfrost is Gislaved. Swedish and not Chinese. Millions of of these tires have been sold,

This could have been caused by anything, pick one.

Manufacturing defect

Underinflation

Overinflation

Improper flat repair

Bubble on sidewall near the tread

Steel cord failure

Curb damage

Pothole damage
Learn how two read..."I realize this specific tire is not actually Chinese like I thought, but I personally never heard of the brand NordFrost".
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5638 posts
2025 upvotes
Alberta
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 6:15 pm
Theyre part of the continental tire group... what the heck. Do they suck?
Yes. And so does Firestone
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5072 posts
4505 upvotes
Montreal
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:54 pm
Learn how two read..."I realize this specific tire is not actually Chinese like I thought, but I personally never heard of the brand NordFrost".
I watched his 2 minute clickbait. He rants about 'cheap Chinese tires'. I'm surprised you didn't tell him to install a catch can or blame it on air in his brakes.