• Mar 16th, 2007 3:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
1029 posts
14 upvotes

Why you should use 5 point restraint car seat

I know I posted this Youtube link in another thread, but I don't know if people looking for car seats would look at that thread, as it was about strollers.

The importance of putting a child in a 5 point restraint for as long as possible. Currently in Canada I know of only 2 seats that allow up to 48lbs the Britax Marathon and Sunshine Kids Radian. If there are more I can add them to the list. All other seats only go up to 40lbs. US has different legislation so their seats with 5 point restraints go to a higher weight classification, and I know from reading another forum that Transport Canada is in the works to update our laws to include higher weights as well. But who knows if it will pass or if it does pass, when it will pass.

I know when I saw this video it made me change my view on which car seat I want to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

Car Seats up to 48lbs

Britax Marathon (from Rear facing infant 33lbs to front facing 48lbs)
Sunshine Kids Radian Convertible (from rear facing infant 30lbs to front facing 48lbs)
Sunshine Kids Radian Premier (Same as convertible but with EPS Foam)
Graco Platinum CarGo (from forward facing 48lbs to booster 80lbs, note booster is not 5 point harness)
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
4212 posts
384 upvotes
Canada
Man that video was rough to watch.
Dec 25, 2002
660 posts
229 upvotes
Kranberry wrote: According to the Graco website it only goes to 40lbs.

http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/produc ... &subCatID=

For some reason sears site is down so I can't compare.
Those are actually the US specs (ie you also can't use the seat from 30lbs as a booster in Canada - min weight is 40lbs) I do have the seat myself and the manual states 48lbs. Personally if you can afford it I would still vote for the Marathon (or the Sunshine Radian - although I haven't tried it personally that is the next seat we are planning on buying) I will say though that the "booster" part of the Graco I find to be useless. We only used it as a forward facing carseat.

Kelly
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
holy crap. As a parent of a 2 years old boy, that's quite the video to screw up my otherwise pretty nice afternoon. :|

That pisses me off, I've got 2 seats that go up to 40 pounds and convert to booster seat after ("eddie bauer")... but I'm really considering putting them in the trash and buying a 5 point seat that goes up to 80 pounds. I don't really feel like living through what the other guy did...
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
1029 posts
14 upvotes
mart242 wrote: holy crap. As a parent of a 2 years old boy, that's quite the video to screw up my otherwise pretty nice afternoon. :|

That pisses me off, I've got 2 seats that go up to 40 pounds and convert to booster seat after ("eddie bauer")... but I'm really considering putting them in the trash and buying a 5 point seat that goes up to 80 pounds. I don't really feel like living through what the other guy did...
Just a note, Canadian car seats only go up to 48 lbs for a 5 point seat. I've listed them in my first post and will continue to add as people find them. Like I said, Transport Canada is looking into upping the 5 point harness rules to higher (hopefully 80lbs or thereabouts) but who knows when that will happen. Also, please note, that it is illegal to bring a foreign car seat into canada and used, due to different safety rules and regulations. Not saying they aren't safe, or that the police will search for you, but they aren't stamped with Canada's safety approval (even same models). Not sure what the implications are for using a non-approved seat are in terms of legal or responsibility. Here's a good link about that.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsaf ... 2/menu.htm
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsaf ... df#page=81
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
Kranberry wrote: Not sure what the implications are for using a non-approved seat are in terms of legal or responsibility. Here's a good link about that.
I'd bet it would be something like <insurance company> "sorry, we won't pay, the seat wasn't legal here"
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3756 posts
12 upvotes
Kranberry wrote: Car Seats up to 48lbs

Britax Marathon (from Rear facing infant 33lbs to front facing 48lbs)
Sunshine Kids Radian Convertible (from rear facing infant 30lbs to front facing 48lbs)
Sunshine Kids Radian Premier (Same as convertible but with EPS Foam)
Graco Platinum CarGo (from forward facing 48lbs to booster 80lbs, note booster is not 5 point harness)
If the Child is over 48lbs, but is short enough for the 5 point harness to fit, is it still safe to use?
thanks
Paolo wrote:Why are they called the Olsen twins if they both have different last names? Mary Kate, and Ashley Olsen. Why are they not called the Kate Twins? or the Kate-Olsen twins? It's also fascinating how 2 kids from different parents looked identical and both played the role of baby michelle on full house and now 20 some years later, they still look identical.
THREE STARS AND A SUN
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
1029 posts
14 upvotes
:arrowu:
Bump....maybe we should ask the admins to make this a sticky. I personally think every parent/would-be parent should see this vid.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1251 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
Since it was a seat belt latch issue, if the car seat was fasten to the car via the seat belt, the car seat would've flown out of the car.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
I agree with the safety of my kids, and use car seats and boosters as much as possible. But here is a question.

When is a good age for a kid not to be in one.

Example. I know some smaller women that are just under 5 feet tall and weigh the 90-100 lb mark.

Now they say that a child should be in a child seat until they are a certain weight or height. Some of the heights Ive read are just a little bit more than the people I know that are in their 30's

So in theory they should be in child seats as well or booster seats.

and the way some kids grow now a days, they are getting bigger and taller earlier.

I totally beleive in safety to, but it seems now a days we want to bubble wrap our kids whereever they go. Ive heard parents tell kids not to climb on this or that at the playground in case they get hurt.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
1029 posts
14 upvotes
alkaseltzer01 wrote: Since it was a seat belt latch issue, if the car seat was fasten to the car via the seat belt, the car seat would've flown out of the car.
If he was in the Radian, he would at least have the seat give him some cushioning and support. Radian is also metal so it may have saved his life, it may not have, it may have made him a quadraplegic, who knows. But something is better than nothing. Besides t he Radian and other seats use a tether for forward facing, so that may have kept the car seat in the car.
Spidey wrote: I agree with the safety of my kids, and use car seats and boosters as much as possible. But here is a question.

Example. I know some smaller women that are just under 5 feet tall and weigh the 90-100 lb mark.

Now they say that a child should be in a child seat until they are a certain weight or height. Some of the heights Ive read are just a little bit more than the people I know that are in their 30's

So in theory they should be in child seats as well or booster seats.

and the way some kids grow now a days, they are getting bigger and taller earlier.

I totally beleive in safety to, but it seems now a days we want to bubble wrap our kids whereever they go. Ive heard parents tell kids not to climb on this or that at the playground in case they get hurt.
I agree that sometimes we go overboard, but if a seat is mandatory anyways, why not get something that could be a difference in a major collision. My post isn't forcing people to buy anything, everyone has to make their own decisions on how far to go. What I was saying is that if you have to purchase an item, by law, why not pick something safer for the child. Did I say bubble wrap your kid? No.

You make some points about the 5 foot lady being in a booster. Yes it sounds ridiculous, but I"m not talking about a 5 foot lady, I'm talking about a child, where by law, you have to buy a seat.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Kranberry wrote: If he was in the Radian, he would at least have the seat give him some cushioning and support. Radian is also metal so it may have saved his life, it may not have, it may have made him a quadraplegic, who knows. But something is better than nothing. Besides t he Radian and other seats use a tether for forward facing, so that may have kept the car seat in the car.

I agree that sometimes we go overboard, but if a seat is mandatory anyways, why not get something that could be a difference in a major collision. My post isn't forcing people to buy anything, everyone has to make their own decisions on how far to go. What I was saying is that if you have to purchase an item, by law, why not pick something safer for the child. Did I say bubble wrap your kid? No.

You make some points about the 5 foot lady being in a booster. Yes it sounds ridiculous, but I"m not talking about a 5 foot lady, I'm talking about a child, where by law, you have to buy a seat.
But then you have the young kids that are above the limits allowed. Not everywhere mind you, but I have seen some big kids at a younger age that are beyond the car seat limits, but according to their age they should be in them.

Of course then I see the parents on the highway were the kids are walking around in the van, standing up, etc. Not belted in at all.

i try to keep my kids in seats on the time, but my one car doesnt have car seats in it because its for my business, but occasionaly I will pick them up somewhere and go home with no seats.

My youngest is 5 and oldest is 10, and I rarely do it. But sometimes you have to unfortunatly
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
Spidey wrote: I agree with the safety of my kids, and use car seats and boosters as much as possible. But here is a question.

A typical car's seats just aren't designed for someone that small, so they should do something about it if they care about their own safety.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Rehan wrote: A typical car's seats just aren't designed for someone that small, so they should do something about it if they care about their own safety.
I dont think its about safety, its about how do you do it. Sure you can have on in your own car for example. But are these allowed in the drivers seat for example.

And two, would u take your "booster" seat everywhere you go, on trips, in cabs, etc. You arent always riding in your own car, getting rides from friend, taking cabs, etc
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
1029 posts
14 upvotes
Spidey wrote: But then you have the young kids that are above the limits allowed. Not everywhere mind you, but I have seen some big kids at a younger age that are beyond the car seat limits, but according to their age they should be in them.

Of course then I see the parents on the highway were the kids are walking around in the van, standing up, etc. Not belted in at all.

i try to keep my kids in seats on the time, but my one car doesnt have car seats in it because its for my business, but occasionaly I will pick them up somewhere and go home with no seats.

My youngest is 5 and oldest is 10, and I rarely do it. But sometimes you have to unfortunatly
That is your perogative and I can't force you to buy extra seats. We all live with the choices we make. Again I reiterate that the point of this is not to force something on to anyone, but to work with what we have to, and that is to purchase a car seat for a young one. Why not take into account that some 5 point restraint car seats can keep a child safer up to 48lbs rather than just shove him in a booster seat.

Age is only one criteria, height and weight are taken into account as well. I'm sure if height and weight are well beyond the seat requirements, that age would not be a factor and the law would take that into account. Of course I'm not a lawyer or an enforcement officer so I don't know. To me it's common sense.

Nice thing about the Radian seat is that it folds up and can be carried. So if you know that you are going to pick them up in your business car then you can carry it. Not saying that this is always going to be the case.
Apr 26, 2004
546 posts
71 upvotes
Cambridge
alkaseltzer01 wrote: Since it was a seat belt latch issue, if the car seat was fasten to the car via the seat belt, the car seat would've flown out of the car.
If you're using a 5-point restraint (and not a booster), then the carseat is fastened by ways OTHER than the seatbelt. It will use a tether strap as well as either the seatbelt or latch system.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
That video was hard to watch. My wife and I have a car seat and a booster in each car. (5 yr old and 7.5 yr old). I, of course, will be checking both cars to ensure that the seats are up to standard. Both of them do have the top tether, though. I remember because it was a real pain to install, so I haven't bothered to take them out yet, and I'm in no hurry to do so after this video.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)