• Sep 9th, 2017 10:28 pm
Feb 11, 2015
84 posts
4 upvotes
Thornhill, ON

Wife got into a minor accident at parking lot

Hi Guys

1st off, this is not a troll thread.

My wife drop me off at Finch station for work this morning.

We were in a private parking lot (5785 Yonge street).

She was waiting to merge into the Yonge street (going north ). She thought the head of the car was a bit close to the street, so she backs up without seeing the car behind her. She bump into the car behind.

They exchange number and apparently there is no damage to both cars. According to my wife, the license plate on the other car is a bit bent?

The other party took my wife's # down and took a picture of the license plate. My wife did the same.

My wife ask for driving license and insurance, the other guy said he forgot it at home and never give her one. My wife also never gave the other party her license and insurance. The other party didn't ask for one.

The only thing that the other party did was told my wife he'll see if there is any damage, and will call her.

Do we need to worry? Should we report it to police and insurance to cover our side?

Thanks
16 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I got a GREAT feeling that the guy she hit was not insured. Besides, it's a small small accident, doubt he'll go through insurance.
dubber wrote: Hi Guys

1st off, this is not a troll thread.

My wife drop me off at Finch station for work this morning.

We were in a private parking lot (5785 Yonge street).

She was waiting to merge into the Yonge street (going north ). She thought the head of the car was a bit close to the street, so she backs up without seeing the car behind her. She bump into the car behind.

They exchange number and apparently there is no damage to both cars. According to my wife, the license plate on the other car is a bit bent?

The other party took my wife's # down and took a picture of the license plate. My wife did the same.

My wife ask for driving license and insurance, the other guy said he forgot it at home and never give her one. My wife also never gave the other party her license and insurance. The other party didn't ask for one.

The only thing that the other party did was told my wife he'll see if there is any damage, and will call her.

Do we need to worry? Should we report it to police and insurance to cover our side?

Thanks

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1704 posts
1824 upvotes
Ottawa
Doubt you'll hear anything back. The fact that he was behind your wife's vehicle only muddles the situation. Without a dashcam, it's his word against hers. I wouldn't worry.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Here's the thing...if both of you agreed that there is no damage why exchange information? Your wife should have left after the other party saw the damage and did not ask for her insurance info. Im not sure how your insurance company be of any help at this time and or the police. I would not worry at this time.
Last edited by CuriousJack on Sep 8th, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
I wouldn't worry. If there really is no damage other than a plate bent they probably won't call.

Left license and insurance at home means probably driver is not Insured or has no license or both.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6024 posts
1873 upvotes
Don't think the other guy has insurance.

Expect him to call asking for a couple hundred bucks in cash, when he says that just say you want to go through insurance and watch him fold.

Take the savings and enroll your wife into a driving class, because someone who just throws it into reverse and backs up into another car shouldn't be on the road.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10528 upvotes
Honestly your wife is 100% at fault for reversing into someone. If you and the other party have no damage, then there is no need to report it to anyone. Because your wife is 100% at fault there is no need to "get her story" down in writing because it shows her being completely at fault. You usually want to preserve your story because you're not at fault.

Just wait on the other party to contact you. If they don't consider it a free lesson learned.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
What kind of car was behind?

I doubt it would be uninsured if it's a >$50k car. Maybe the driver doesn't have a license? :)
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
No need to assume the worst of people. If there's no significant damage, the other driver probably just decided to take a photo and let it go.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Faith24 wrote: No need to assume the worst of people.
Yes there is.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
nasa25 wrote: Yes there is.
I'll admit that experience with the outrageous claims made by people after traffic accidents would lead you to assume the worst about human nature, but we should never give up hope! I really believe that the majority of people aren't like that, and we've all just been having really bad luck. :)
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Faith24 wrote: I'll admit that experience with the outrageous claims made by people after traffic accidents would lead you to assume the worst about human nature, but we should never give up hope! I really believe that the majority of people aren't like that, and we've all just been having really bad luck. :)
I want to be optimistic but as I get older I realize that most people are just animals. It’s a shame.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
nasa25 wrote: I want to be optimistic but as I get older I realize that most people are just animals. It’s a shame.
It's all about context. I think most people have an instinct to do the right thing, and would do so if the circumstances and the people around them encouraged it.

But consider what happens after a traffic accident.

Rule#1 that your insurer always tell you is "Do not admit guilt. Do not apologize.", and in fact they imply that it might affect your insurance coverage if you do. In a case like this, wife backs into another car, instinct is to apologize, but insurance advice is to say nothing.

So maybe then they call their insurance company to report it. Of course the insurer does not want to be responsible for paying, and tries to find any way to slant the evidence in that direction.

Then the person joins their family and friends and tells them about the accident, and invariably their helpful advice is always to try to weasel out of responsibility by taking advantage of any loophole. No witnesses? Perfect - just lie. Ambiguous memory of events? Assume that things happened the way that you aren't responsible. They usually imply that you would be an idiot to admit responsibility unless someone can prove it. If it's a family member, particularly one who will have to pay the bill, they may get angry about it.

Talk to a lawyer? They'll advise you to admit nothing that the other side can't prove, and to minimize your responsibility every way possible. These are the scumbags who bring you the accepted legal practice of "defence in the alternative", e.g., "I wasn't there at all, or if you prove I was, then it wasn't me driving, or if you prove I was the driver, then it was your car that jumped sideways to hit mine...." etc.. Very common in car accident cases. Can you image telling someone "Honestly I didn't steal that money from your purse, but if I did, it was only $100, not $180." :rolleyes:

And your reward for doing the right thing and admitting responsibility? You get punished with a hefty financial penalty and black mark on your insurance record that keeps costing you money over and over.

So you can see why everything is slanted against someone whose first instinct is to do the right thing. It's not a great surprise if a majority of people don't.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
^i see what you mean but it’s a cop out to compromise ones principles and take the advice of others that may have a compromised moral compass.

Principles are worth more than a few dollars. But I digress. Didn’t mean to derail this thread.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
Faith24 wrote: It's all about context. I think most people have an instinct to do the right thing, and would do so if the circumstances and the people around them encouraged it.

But consider what happens after a traffic accident.

Rule#1 that your insurer always tell you is "Do not admit guilt. Do not apologize.", and in fact they imply that it might affect your insurance coverage if you do. In a case like this, wife backs into another car, instinct is to apologize, but insurance advice is to say nothing.

So maybe then they call their insurance company to report it. Of course the insurer does not want to be responsible for paying, and tries to find any way to slant the evidence in that direction.

Then the person joins their family and friends and tells them about the accident, and invariably their helpful advice is always to try to weasel out of responsibility by taking advantage of any loophole. No witnesses? Perfect - just lie. Ambiguous memory of events? Assume that things happened the way that you aren't responsible. They usually imply that you would be an idiot to admit responsibility unless someone can prove it. If it's a family member, particularly one who will have to pay the bill, they may get angry about it.

Talk to a lawyer? They'll advise you to admit nothing that the other side can't prove, and to minimize your responsibility every way possible. These are the scumbags who bring you the accepted legal practice of "defence in the alternative", e.g., "I wasn't there at all, or if you prove I was, then it wasn't me driving, or if you prove I was the driver, then it was your car that jumped sideways to hit mine...." etc.. Very common in car accident cases. Can you image telling someone "Honestly I didn't steal that money from your purse, but if I did, it was only $100, not $180." :rolleyes:

And your reward for doing the right thing and admitting responsibility? You get punished with a hefty financial penalty and black mark on your insurance record that keeps costing you money over and over.

So you can see why everything is slanted against someone whose first instinct is to do the right thing. It's not a great surprise if a majority of people don't.

Very well written post...only a tiny, tiny percentage of people will admit responsibility for something, if it translates into a personal hardship, or financial penalty of sorts (such as an increase in insurance rates)....it's pretty much human nature.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3661 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
angry-trucker wrote: Very well written post...only a tiny, tiny percentage of people will admit responsibility for something, if it translates into a personal hardship, or financial penalty of sorts (such as an increase in insurance rates)....it's pretty much human nature.
Had my cats babysitter that did not showed up and stole from us (just cat food) when we were out for vacation.

Caught on three differents cameras.

Yet until the end, she refused to admit guilt.

People will lie to cover their ass.
Last edited by vonblock on Sep 9th, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
494 posts
115 upvotes
If he calls give him like $100 because your wife is irresponsible. Ultimately she was in the wrong. Yonge street has tons of street cameras from condos/businesses. If he really wanted he can pursue this, but must likely he won't. He will probably call you for a replacement licence plate and touch up paint if needed.

Have a take with your wife. You can't just put a vehicle to R and ram another car.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)