Cell Phones

Wife wants iPhone 4s, but isn't tec savy.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 7:26 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1424 posts
80 upvotes
Kitchener
EugW wrote:
Nov 6th, 2014 9:31 pm
When my wife had her flip phone, she rarely texted. Too much of a pain in the @ss.

When she got her iPhone she started texting up to a couple of dozen times a month. Now that she has unlimited text on her post-paid plan, I'd say her primary form of communication with her phone is texting. Hundreds per month.

Why? Because all of her friends and family text on their smartphones. Even her elderly mother does occasionally, on my old hand-me-down iPhone 4.

BTW, my wife's post-paid Fido plan includes 500 minutes of daytime minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends, unlimited Canadian and international texts and MMS, Canada wide calling (no long distance), voicemail, and even 400 MB data. She only pays $34 though since she got a $5 discount off the plan.
Evolution I guess. This would probably happen with my wife as well. More to consider I guess.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
3285 posts
598 upvotes
sam123 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2014 8:10 pm
Would that matter if she only uses it to talk and text?
should be fine for texting and talking
Current KOODO and FIDO customer😎
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2012
9922 posts
1677 upvotes
VANCOUVER
randomkidx wrote:
Nov 6th, 2014 11:38 pm
should be fine for texting and talking
...but not at the same time though. :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2012
9922 posts
1677 upvotes
VANCOUVER
sam123 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2014 9:20 pm
I checked her usage for the last year and it was 180 mins. and zero texts. We pay about $30 monthly so $360 for the year. With the $100 plan and paying 50 cents/min overage the total cost would be $140. Man thats amazing. I'll need to discuss this for sure. Thanks.
All of the 180 minutes were during weekdays?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1424 posts
80 upvotes
Kitchener
Rogido wrote:
Nov 7th, 2014 12:50 am
All of the 180 minutes were during weekdays?
Good point. Recalculated, 40% were weekend, which were free. May just have to get her to try it out and see how it goes. Could always stop using the plan it it gets too expensive and go with another plan. My options are getting better all the time.
If I calculate correctly, and she stays within the limits of this plan, this $100/yr. would mean the new plan pays for the phone in roughly 2 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1424 posts
80 upvotes
Kitchener
X360 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2014 8:56 am
Get her another flip phone lol...

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/lg ... hed-596036
I resisted the urge to say no way and checked the link. I like it. I've been using my Samsung C417 for a long time now and have replaced it from Kijiji about 6 times between my daughter(who looses hers a lot) and myself. Can't seem to find pricing though.
Dec 3, 2013
185 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Good thing you're with Rogers - in our experience their 4S are still reliable. For some bizarre reason, the Wifi is incredibly inconsistent with 4S' sold by Bell (I know, doesn't make any sense, but our diagnostic data does not lie). High-quality used is a great option - you'll be paying just a little over $200 vs close to $500 after tax for the 5C 8 GB.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
As the co-founder of a business dedicated to making it easy to buy and sell used iPhones, I have fairly extensive experience navigating Craigslist/Kijiji for used iPhones, and also troubleshooting said iPhones. Don't hesitate to PM me if you want any advice. :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1424 posts
80 upvotes
Kitchener
AlexatOrchard wrote:
Nov 7th, 2014 11:07 am
Good thing you're with Rogers - in our experience their 4S are still reliable. For some bizarre reason, the Wifi is incredibly inconsistent with 4S' sold by Bell (I know, doesn't make any sense, but our diagnostic data does not lie). High-quality used is a great option - you'll be paying just a little over $200 vs close to $500 after tax for the 5C 8 GB.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Very nice and helpful, thanks.
Dec 30, 1969
232 posts
21 upvotes
Ontario
I'd go with a 5c at least. The 4s is so slow now. My grandma has one and she has 0 apps besides the stock ones. (yes you read that right) She only uses it for text and call and the occasional email over wifi but normally uses her ipad for that. And her phone is so slow. (running latest ios 8.1)

My grandpas 5c, otoh, is blazing fast on ios 8.1.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1424 posts
80 upvotes
Kitchener
Gozitano wrote:
Nov 7th, 2014 6:25 pm
I'd go with a 5c at least. The 4s is so slow now. My grandma has one and she has 0 apps besides the stock ones. (yes you read that right) She only uses it for text and call and the occasional email over wifi but normally uses her ipad for that. And her phone is so slow. (running latest ios 8.1)

Appreciate your observation.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2012
9922 posts
1677 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Gozitano wrote:
Nov 7th, 2014 6:25 pm

I'm surprised your grandma even needs a 4S. Unless she has to have an Apple phone, there are quite a few android smartphones for way less $$, that would do what she needs.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13365 posts
2056 upvotes
Toronto
I gave my mother-in-law my iPhone 4 last year. Since it's a hand-me-down, it was free for her. In 2014, the 4S is a hand-me-down for a lot of people too.
Nov 13, 2013
166 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Don't listen to anyone here, the IP4S and the IP5 / IP5c on iOS 7 and 8 suffers a lot of performance issues such as stuttering, lag, frame rate drops, batt life and etc. Even the IP5s on iOS 8 suffers a little. Some ppl are so blind to this and they can't even see it at all, even if you have another device side by side LOL. It's rare to see a IP4S on iOS 6 in good condition today, the whole blacklisting scamming on Kijiji makes this situation even harder for you.

*I don't recommend this, but just passing the info a long*

Factory Direct still has refurb IP4S, but the pricing is too high and most are blacklisted already. I've seen some dude go through a pile of LG P999 Optimus 2X the other day, even I tested a "Factory Unlocked" IP5 on iOS 6 last year there, it was actually locked and of course the reps couldn't explain where it came from and why it isn't "as advertised". After their 90 days warranty, they won't do anything for you unless you got their extended warranty for an extra $30 - $105 and then they might not have the inventory for it.

Short Story, if you wanna read it.

I sold my last Factory Unlocked IP4S to some old dude last May, he didn't realize what a deal he was getting and now he keeps calling me up to ask if I got anymore iPhones for sale.

1) 1 Month old Factory Unlocked IP4S w/ all accessorizes sealed, box and cases for $300, most importantly it's on the last build of iOS 6.

2) He didn't have a micro SIM, out of curtsy I got him brand new Rogers SIM for free since we were at the Apple Store and got Rogers to switch his SIM on the spot.

3) Before he handed me the money, he tried to weasel the price and I snapped on him. "You don't realize how rare and good of a deal you're getting, one more attempt of talking the price down, I will eject your SIM and going home with my IP4S"

4) 9 Months later, he has tried to call me 7x asking if I have anymore iPhones in this condition for sale. I really wish I didn't sell that IP4S to him, I should had sold it to someone else more deserving instead.
Nov 13, 2013
166 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
If you can find a brand new IP5 on iOS 6, do not hesitate and get it, same story as the others here. GF loved the IP4S for years, once I sold it to that older dude and gave her one of my other brand new IP5 I had sitting around, the whole story changed and see saw the light.

She does miss the smaller form factory, when she places her IP5 in her front pocket of her jacket, it sticks out a lot and it looks like she's a peeping tom, the camera is always facing towards ppl. ;)

Best of luck in your quest for your wife's happiness :)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel