Cell Phones

Wife wants iPhone 4s, but isn't tec savy.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 7:26 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1878 posts
101 upvotes
Kitchener
IPhone has to be the easiest phone to use. Even old seniors use it. If she can't figure it out you may not want to breed with her :)
Sum_guy wrote:
Mar 13th, 2013 10:26 pm
but my nipples hurt for the rest of the weekend when we go.
Nov 13, 2013
166 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
The GF's upgrade path has been a bit extreme this year.

From June to Sept 2014 - IP4S iOS 6.1.3 > IP5 iOS 6.1.3 > IP5s iOS 7.1.2

No IP6 for her, it's too big and her hands are too small.

Reason why I am posting this, the OP could get a IP5s on iOS 7.1.2 and save a lot of hassles :p
Apr 10, 2006
254 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
My mate has the iPhone 4s and it still works perfectly for him - he loves the look of it as well and he mostly uses it for Flipboard, iMessage and the odd google search. It's still on iOS 7, so it's not slow. In fact I'm typing this on my iPod touch 5 (which is basically the same as the 4s) and it still works great on iOS 7. If she doesn't need ios 8 - and trust me she doesn't - a new 4s would very likely be fine for her. That being said, the 5 looks similar to the 4s (not quite as Lyca Camera-esque but close) and it runs ios 8 like a champ. I just sold mine to upgrade to the 6 and it was honestly hard to let go of. Ran really well and the form factor was great! So if she wants to keep the phone for a few years, the 5 would be perfect! And as others have mentioned, the 5C has the same innards (though it's not as upscale looking as the 5). Not sure of the price difference to buy either of those new.

In regards to plans; someone mentioned the Koodo prepaid and it's honestly the best I've seen! You pay $15 a month to keep the plan active and that includes unlimited texts (which I'm sure she will start using) and then you buy boosters that never expire. So for example you buy her two 500 min boosters for $25 each and she's got 1000 mins to use whenever she wants. Canadian long distance included. Doesn't matter if she takes 3 years to use them up, she's always got that bucket at her disposal. I've also heard that they may bring back the double booster promo in December - they did that last year where they doubled the minutes on a $25 booster. So you ended up getting 1000 mins for $25! Great deal, IMHO. So maybe keep an eye out for that if Koodo seems good for her needs.
Feb 22, 2013
84 posts
59 upvotes
Porters Lake
The 4s would still be a decent upgrade to her I think. My wife still uses hers and I only just stopped using mine because I got a Note 3 for free when I renewed my telus contract.

To be honest mine is in great shape and still in the otter box commuter running ios7 so feel free to let me know if you want to take it off my hands. Only issues I had were mainly camera app freezing once in a while.

Its totally not worth buying an older iPhone at a price of almost $500. If you were set on new I'd at least get the 5 or 5c.
Oct 18, 2014
286 posts
15 upvotes
e2ek1el wrote:
Nov 8th, 2014 5:58 pm
the gf's upgrade path has been a bit extreme this year.

From june to sept 2014 - ip4s ios 6.1.3 > ip5 ios 6.1.3 > ip5s ios 7.1.2

no ip6 for her, it's too big and her hands are too small.

Reason why i am posting this, the op could get a ip5s on ios 7.1.2 and save a lot of hassles :p

:lol:
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2457 posts
463 upvotes
Scarborough
I'll sell you my mint condition bell/virgin white iPhone 4s with ios 7.1 for $200. Every thing runs smooth. Do not upgrade to ios 8 though or it will slow down the device some.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2457 posts
463 upvotes
Scarborough
^^^ who said anything about it having to be a deal. It's more like fair market value. Not everyone has time to penny pinch and at least he would be buying it from a member here who hopefully has a better rep than some random kijiji poster.
Oct 18, 2014
286 posts
15 upvotes
rrrright. coming from a guy named 'tdothacker'. :facepalm: sounds legit 100%
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
10144 posts
1768 upvotes
VANCOUVER
E2EK1EL wrote:
Nov 8th, 2014 5:58 pm
The GF's upgrade path has been a bit extreme this year.

From June to Sept 2014 - IP4S iOS 6.1.3 > IP5 iOS 6.1.3 > IP5s iOS 7.1.2

No IP6 for her, it's too big and her hands are too small.

Reason why I am posting this, the OP could get a IP5s on iOS 7.1.2 and save a lot of hassles :p
But she's not grabbing it length-wise. The increase in girth, if you will :razz: , if less than 10 mm.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
10144 posts
1768 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Double_J wrote:
Nov 8th, 2014 3:56 pm
IPhone has to be the easiest phone to use. Even old seniors use it. If she can't figure it out you may not want to breed with her :)
That's not always the case. I can tell you for sure my mother-in-law will not be able to use an iPhone. I think it's easy for anyone used to using digital devices.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13889 posts
2255 upvotes
Toronto
sam123 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2014 8:40 pm
How about this with the $100 unlimited text with 100 mins. It's the only one I've found using IOS 6
http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/iPhones
1. It likely won't come with iOS 6. Prob iOS 7 or 8. Also 8 GB is very limiting.

2. IOS 6 is obsolete. Minimum iOS 7 recommended since a lot of apps are no longer compatible with iOS 6.

3. Performance of the iPhone 4S is fine on 7.1.2. Not so fine on 8.1 but it depends on the person's perspective. Performance of the iPhone 5/5c or higher is fine on any version of iOS. ie. Speed may be an issue with the iPhone 4S with the latest OS for many but speed is not an issue with the iPhone 5.

4. If you get an iPhone 4S with 7.1.2 you're set. If you get one with 7.0 that's no good because you'll have to upgrade it, and you can't upgrade it to 7.1.2. The only upgrade option is to 8.1. 6.x is obsolete. 7.0 is buggy and slow. 7.1.2 is mature and fast. 8.1 is also buggy and slow on the iPhone 4S, although the speed may not be an issue for a first timer to the iPhone. Safer to get the iPhone 5 though since many apps are optimized for the 5 or later. The only way to ensure you get a 4S with 7.1.2 is to get a used one.

5. The bugs in iOS 8 will be quashed with time but not sure about the speed.

6. iOS 8.1.1 is out soon and addresses some speed issues on the 4S but preliminary testing suggests the improvement isn't great.

Remember, the 4S came out in 2011. It comes with the Apple A5 CPU/SoC.

Note, I have devices with the A4, A5, A6, A7, and A8X. That spans 2010 to 2014.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5902 posts
513 upvotes
SW Ontario
4s is probably a bit sluggish. But I can attest the 5c works great on iOS 8.1. Very happy with mine.

I have 16 go. But I'd the user isn't installing apps, pics, and music, no reason the 8 gb wouldn't be plenty.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1587 posts
133 upvotes
FlipFlops wrote:
Nov 8th, 2014 11:16 pm
^^^-- terrible deals guys.
I appreciate you looking our for me wrt the price of this device. Of course being a RFDer I want as good a deal as I can get, but if it's for wifey .... there may be a price to pay down the road for a bargain that I'd like to avoid. For my own use it's a different matter.