Personal Finance

Wife's EI is almost up, and shes starting school in September. What are her options?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2013 11:13 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 19, 2013
716 posts
62 upvotes
Surrey

Wife's EI is almost up, and shes starting school in September. What are her options?

Hey Everyone, new to this forum. This is my first post so sorry for any mistakes.

Anyways like the title says, my wife got laid off and is on EI, but it's just about over. She's going to school in September full time. Are there any options for us to help for funding? Like grants and so forth. Are there any options from the government due to the fact she is, or was on EI? We are considering getting a student loan, but anything we can save would help out substantially.

Thanks

T
9 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1133 posts
48 upvotes
Markham
I'm not sure what you're asking exactly but I interpret it as you asking for ways to fund her education?

Apply to grants, bursaries, anything to see if she will qualify. It would be foolish to not apply (unless think there's no way she'll get these grants).

OSAP is an option- interest free while in school unlike SLOCs. Student line of credit is what I used when I went back to school. It was tied to my program (lower rates, better changes of approval).

Last but not least- if you're very concerned about money and want to minimize student loans- I'd get a part-time job. Waitressing, admin assistant, etc- there's no shame in that. Plenty of people do it to fund their expenses while in school.

Does your wife have this option?
Jul 18, 2009
679 posts
97 upvotes
EI used to have a program to partially fund college (university was not covered) courses for EI recipients. I beleive recipients were allowed to continue recieving EI even though they were in school and not available for work. Not sure if it still exists, but your wife should inquire at Service Canada.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
260 upvotes
Second careers ontario?

Unless your looking for funding from now til then it's called a job.
Aug 28, 2010
909 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
OSAP? I checked and could not find an age limit......
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1212 posts
127 upvotes
The fastest way to get some income as other posters suggest would be a part time job.
Jan 14, 2013
11 posts
EI sometimes funds training but I think it's hit and miss as to what they'll fund and they won't tell you - you just have to apply. Also I'm guessing the point of them funding it is to get you off EI, so this would have been better at the beginning of her claim vs. the end.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1066 posts
49 upvotes
tonysoprano wrote:
May 9th, 2013 12:52 am
Hey Everyone, new to this forum. This is my first post so sorry for any mistakes.

Anyways like the title says, my wife got laid off and is on EI, but it's just about over. She's going to school in September full time. Are there any options for us to help for funding? Like grants and so forth. Are there any options from the government due to the fact she is, or was on EI? We are considering getting a student loan, but anything we can save would help out substantially.

Thanks

T
Tell her to inquire about second career.. they will fund upto $28,000 which includes living cost, school funds, and transportation.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2012
1289 posts
417 upvotes
if you or your wife has RRSPs, i think it can be used like HBP, but its called something like LLP - life learning plan, its in the same form filing taxes
[OP]
Jan 19, 2013
716 posts
62 upvotes
Surrey
Thanks for all the great replies. She will definitley be working part time in the summer once he ei is up. does anyone have any links on getting any information on possible funding, or continuing her ei while she is in school? I live in BC so the second careers ontario is out of the question. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
× < >