• May 31st, 2015 11:19 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes

Wifi file transfer corruption

I have home wireless network running through Netgear wnr3500L. My HTPC / file server is connected to it via LAN

Lately I've been noticing corruption when streaming video from my HTPC (running w7), I ignored it thinking its just interference. Until I realized the corruption kept occurring on the same segment of the video

But today I copied few image files from the HTPC to my desktop (connected via wifi) and a lot of the image files were corrupted.

I tried doing the same, copying image files to my tablet and bunch of images were corrupted too.

Strangely uploading files to the HTPC works fine, no corruption there.

I ruled out file corrupted since I can remote in to the file server and checked the image and video files directly there and they looked fine.

Time for a new router ? Or something else I'm missing here.

I
5 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
take the htpc out of the equation and transfer similar files from two other devices (over wifi) like the desktop and the tablet. if that works fine, then check out the htpc.

i.e. a hd or the wireless adapter on the htpc might be melting down.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes
HTPC/File server is connected via LAN

Just tried tablet ---> desktop works fine.

Just rebooted my HTPC and it seems to be working fine now...video file I tried to stream yesterday works fine now.

File transfer htpc --> desktop...a bit inconsistent, sometimes corrupted sometimes it works fine.

I think the LAN port on the HTPC might be on its way out
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
AzureD wrote: I think the LAN port on the HTPC might be on its way out
sorry, I just assumed wireless, but now that I read your post again, this is likely the cause - you might also switch out the network cables to see if that clears it up.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
4205 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary
Is it possible to do error correction with ssl etc?
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)