Wifi issues - 4 storey townhouse with smart thermostat

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2018 10:40 am
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
60 posts
7 upvotes

Wifi issues - 4 storey townhouse with smart thermostat

I know very little about technology. I currently have a Linksys E1500 wireless router (Rogers internet) which is quite a few years old. I have the Lennox icomfort smart thermostat and it cannot keep a connection to wifi/internet. The thermostat is on the floor below where my router is and at the other end of the house. I note in many parts of the house my iphone and ipad only show 2 bars of signal. I am wondering if buying a wifi extender would help the smart thermostat stay connected to wifi or if I should buy a new router. Can anyone provide advice. Whatever device I should get will have to be easy for me to install. Thank you so much.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14385 posts
3713 upvotes
London
Try a new router (borrow one from a friend, or buy one from Walmart /Costco with easy returns)

Some routers have transmitter chips that lose signal power over time (like down to 1 bar a room away)
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18965 posts
6989 upvotes
Toronto
Feeding 4 floors using a single router is difficult. Try looking for a way to fish an Ethernet cable between a floor or two. Then you can wire a couple of routers together and run one as a repeater. I helped a friend with doing exactly that in a townhouse with basement and 3 upper floors.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1128 posts
253 upvotes
Look into a mesh networking system (Linksys Velop, Netgear Orbi). It's a bit more expensive than a single router solution, but will allow you to shape the wifi signal to your particular house. I've installed the 3-node Velop system in my townhouse, and dead spots have been entirely eliminated.
Aug 12, 2018
252 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
If you have coaxial cable pre wired, you can try the MOCA extenter option without loss of signals.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8728 posts
1584 upvotes
Winnipeg
going up or down is the hardest and most difficult if it uses a dipole style antenna. If it was dipole you have to place them horizontal.

I would try to run cable. But even that has issues since you would need at least 3 to cover perfect and that would have too much co channel interference.

Your best option is a combination of running cord backhaul and using a mesh setup. In the absence of cord use mesh and postion each node properly.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenda-MW6-802-11 ... tenda+nova

about the cheapest for one with gigabit ports and isn't cloud dependent.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenda-Technology ... tenda+nova

that maybe cheaper but its fast ethernet bottle neck. You never get above 12 Mb/s