• Jan 11th, 2019 2:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3191 posts
317 upvotes
Mississauga

Wii + Classic Controllers + Recommendations for a noob

So I'm turning 32. And my childhood was a little.... deprived of video gaming. I had a PS2 at one point, but I think that was it.

I have a Wii at home, on which I installed Homebrew + an emulator (can't remember which one). I started playing some Contra + TMNT that I remembered playing a long time ago. The memories came flooding back!

So I have two simple questions:

1. I hate playing classic games with the Wii mote. Which controller can I buy to enhanced my classic gaming experience? Do I buy the Wii Classic Controller? Does that plug into the Wii directly? or into the Wii mote? I'm about that simple life, so wired doesn't bother me. Let me know how much your recommended controller goes for and whats a good place to buy it (amazon/ebay/eb games/etc).....

2. Give me your 2 best game recommendations (and which system it belongs to) that I can dig up and play on the emulator. HELP ME WIN BACK MY CHILDHOOD!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2242 posts
297 upvotes
The classic controller and classic controller pro both plug into the Wiimote.
Jun 23, 2015
7 posts
Scarborough, ON
The classic controller pro is slightly more useful but the classic controller is arguably more comfortable. Emulating N64 games on the Wii is hard but one of my all time favourite games is Goemon's Great Adventure, a 3D action adventure game with ninjas. Megaman Battle Network on the Gameboy Advanced is one of my favourite series, (3 is the unanimous favourite amongst friends). But if you enjoy platformers/beat em up's like TMNT and Contra, Viewitiful Joe on gamecube is one of the absolute best and most underrated. Cult Classic. Enjoy
Apr 19, 2018
6 posts
15 upvotes
I purchased a non-OEM wii classic controller from China. There seems to be a lag on the video I am seeing and the input (button presses on the controller). It was there when using just the Wii-mote by itself and I was hoping the controller would improve that but it has not. It is enough that it makes the old Mario games pretty much impossible to play. Before I go and shell out time and money on a Retro-Pie system, can anyone tell me if there is lag using emulation on the wii when using an OEM classic controller connected to the Wii-mote. Maybe its just my hack that is bad :(
Thanks in advance!
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1695 posts
456 upvotes
mississauga
OJJB41 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:24 am
I purchased a non-OEM wii classic controller from China. There seems to be a lag on the video I am seeing and the input (button presses on the controller). It was there when using just the Wii-mote by itself and I was hoping the controller would improve that but it has not. It is enough that it makes the old Mario games pretty much impossible to play. Before I go and shell out time and money on a Retro-Pie system, can anyone tell me if there is lag using emulation on the wii when using an OEM classic controller connected to the Wii-mote. Maybe its just my hack that is bad :(
Thanks in advance!
are you sure its not t he input lag on your tv? most modern tvs suck for precision gaming. have you tried any other consoles with the same result? try a laptop or pc? Obviously using anything connected to the wii-mote will create lag if the wii-mote is already creating lag. Official wiimote? I cant imagine its your softmod, but I guess its a possibility.
think first, buy later.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4695 posts
577 upvotes
Ottawa
OJJB41 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:24 am
Thanks in advance!
The problem's probably your controller. I've used OEM and non-OEM ones and the non-OEM ones never seemed to work as well.