PC & Video Games

Wii making loud noise when reading discs?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2007 5:33 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
8768 posts
585 upvotes

Wii making loud noise when reading discs?

It's like a consistent rrrrr sound. It happened all of the sudden last week and I've had my Wii since launch. The sound is very loud and its getting very annoying. Is this a known issue? And does anyone else have this problem?

If this is some known issue... I am probably going to have to sell my Wii because theres no way I can play anything with that annoying disc reading noise in the background even when playing GH3.

UGH...
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23308 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
taro-chan wrote:
Dec 28th, 2007 9:57 am
It's like a consistent rrrrr sound. It happened all of the sudden last week and I've had my Wii since launch. The sound is very loud and its getting very annoying. Is this a known issue? And does anyone else have this problem?

If this is some known issue... I am probably going to have to sell my Wii because theres no way I can play anything with that annoying disc reading noise in the background even when playing GH3.

UGH...
Send it to Nintendo.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3373 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
Psubs wrote:
Dec 28th, 2007 11:41 am
Send it to Nintendo.
This he can't do because its a launch Wii. Unless he registered it for the 15 month warrenty, then yes, send it in. Its a common problem with launch Wii's, see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqpu-vLYRKU .

If you don't want to send it in, you can always get the drive replaced. Buy one off ebay and send it to a modder.
May 26, 2003
388 posts
13 upvotes
I think it is caused by the bearing of DVD drive worn out due to standing vertical . It has been running for long long time. It is time to replace the drive.
Dec 19, 2007
37 posts
southern ontario
ok new to the wii here so have to ask should it not be standing up in the stand then?
What is the best way to have it placed I just assummed in the stand/
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5432 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
While the stand on the Wii makes it look cool vertically, the drive itself is like any other DVD drive and should probably be played with the disc face facing up, so the proper position would be having the Wii logo on the right side of the unit.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
8768 posts
585 upvotes
Well.. I RMA'd it.
Seems to be a known issue.

that makes 3 things I RMA'd this month... lol
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3373 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
jjcj98 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2007 8:47 am
ok new to the wii here so have to ask should it not be standing up in the stand then?
What is the best way to have it placed I just assummed in the stand/
The best way is to lay it flat. The reason why 99% of cd/dvd drives are flat, is for longevity. Although I agree it looks much worse laying flat, I guess the price you have to pay
× < >