Is Wii still worth to buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2017 8:19 pm
Tags:
Feb 9, 2017
23 posts
3 upvotes

Is Wii still worth to buy?

I saw some used Wii on the kijiji. I want to know if the Wii is still worth to buy? And what's the price is reasonable. Thank you
15 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2006
2511 posts
259 upvotes
Whitby
I picked up a used Wii with an extra controller, 2 nunchucks and a few games about a year ago for my son for $60 IIRC. If you use apps like LetGo or VarageSale you can pick up some deals. My area has a bunch of sharks that snap up all the undervalued video game stuff though, so, you have to be on your game....
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3651 posts
1429 upvotes
BC
There are Facebook groups for game collectors local to certain areas that routinely have Wii's for cheap. However if you're asking if they're worth buying, not really unless you plan to mod it. As a collector I only keep mine to play about 7 gamecube games. The WiiU if it can be had for cheap can play Wii games as well and the output will be all digital over HDMI if you're interested in that kind of thing.
Sep 12, 2012
954 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
Sure. If you jailbreak it ...
Dec 2, 2010
10 posts
3 upvotes
My Wii gets a ton of play. Nothing comes close to it for local multiplayer (and the way most systems have gone, none probably will). As long as you can get past the graphics, there are lots of great games with excellent gameplay and with homebrew it can be made backwards compatible with almost every Nintendo system before it (can play gamecube, most N64, SNES and NES).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7410 posts
6687 upvotes
Toronto
Without modding it, can it or the WiiU be used to purchase the classic N64 and SNES games via the e-store, kinda like PS1 and PS2 classics? Sorry I am only familiar with the Playstation ecosystem but am interested in a Nintendo system for the classics and not necessarily the latest and newest.

Side note: Is modding easily done by one of the Kijiji folk? Fees showing around $50 with a ton of games etc.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2268 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
Said212 wrote: Without modding it, can it or the WiiU be used to purchase the classic N64 and SNES games via the e-store, kinda like PS1 and PS2 classics? Sorry I am only familiar with the Playstation ecosystem but am interested in a Nintendo system for the classics and not necessarily the latest and newest.

Side note: Is modding easily done by one of the Kijiji folk? Fees showing around $50 with a ton of games etc.
Both the Wii and WiiU can be used to purchase classic games they're called virtual console games. I don't think you can purchase Virtual classic games on the Wii anymore as it's not supported anymore. I could be wrong.

The only thing is, the games purchased are tied to the hardware, not the account.

As for the modding the Wii is very easy. For the Wii all you need is an SD Card. For the WiiU all you need is an SD card to install the games, onto internal memory or usb HDD
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7410 posts
6687 upvotes
Toronto
realg123 wrote: Both the Wii and WiiU can be used to purchase classic games they're called virtual console games. I don't think you can purchase Virtual classic games on the Wii anymore as it's not supported anymore. I could be wrong.

The only thing is, the games purchased are tied to the hardware, not the account.

As for the modding the Wii is very easy. For the Wii all you need is an SD Card. For the WiiU all you need is an SD card to install the games, onto internal memory or usb HDD
Thanks a lot! Good to know about the hardware vs. account and the need for a SD card. May get a WiiU then as their price will continue to fall I'm sure as the Switch sells more.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
A Wii U would make more sense. It can play every Wii game and Wii U titles including the new Zelda. It's a nice little system if you can find it for a good price.
Jan 12, 2003
776 posts
377 upvotes
Wii + SDHC + USB Drive for games and your set.

I recently dug mine back out after no use for about 4 years or so, remodded it and Im playing it again.

We played bowling on the weekend with friends...instead of playing on the XBox..definitely good for a local group.
2003/4 Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo | 2007 - Pepsi - Score Every Hour - XBox 360 Arcade
2007 - KFC Chicken Bowls Contest - $5 Gift Card | 2008 - Pepsi - "Win The Play" - 2 NFL Hats
2008 - WD - Crack the Code - TShirt | 2009 - Wonder Bread Watch
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
I would say get the WiiU but a Wii can be had for 25-30$ I think at this point where as a WiiU is going to set you back probably a couple hundred dollars. There is lots of great games on both systems if your into Nintendo games.

I sold mine for 30$ without any games or controllers when I got my WiiU about 4 years ago.

My neighbor just got one with a whole pile of games and all the rock band accessories for 80$
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
For the original Wii , the SD card needs to be a "regular" one, not one of the SDHC or SDXC carda out there. I think that the largest "regular" ones out there are 2gb.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2268 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
ConsoleWatcher wrote: For the original Wii , the SD card needs to be a "regular" one, not one of the SDHC or SDXC carda out there. I think that the largest "regular" ones out there are 2gb.
Just to clarify and I'm sure you meant the same thing.To mod you need the "regular" SD card after it's been modded you could use SDHC.
Jan 12, 2003
776 posts
377 upvotes
SDHC now works with modding.

The size is the factor, believe I'm using a 2G, not much needs to stay on the card once its up and running, use an exetrnal HD or a USB stick.
2003/4 Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo | 2007 - Pepsi - Score Every Hour - XBox 360 Arcade
2007 - KFC Chicken Bowls Contest - $5 Gift Card | 2008 - Pepsi - "Win The Play" - 2 NFL Hats
2008 - WD - Crack the Code - TShirt | 2009 - Wonder Bread Watch
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1981 posts
603 upvotes
toronto
I think 32gb sdhc cards are supported after the 4.3u wii patch. People still use info from old ass modding videos.
think first, buy later.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
If you are gonna to mod it you might as well get a Wii U. At least it can play the latest Zelda and Mario games.

Nintendo sells refurbished Wii U for $260 and they are pretty much brand new without the original box. I think they are just dumping brand new consoles at cheaper price by selling it as refurbished.