Personal Finance

Wild Credit Bureau Situation - Need help Please

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2020 3:06 pm
Feb 26, 2020
3 posts

Wild Credit Bureau Situation - Need help Please

So basically I have monthly claims on my credit report from koodo for $18 since 2018. I had no clue this was going on and assumed this bill was settled a long time ago. The issue is Koodo is telling me they sent it to a collection agency. The collection agency is saying they don't have it. I call equifax; they tell me koodo is making the claims and there is no collection agency on my file. See below for the sequence of events.

*Funny part: I even have a recording of the collection agency on speakerphone and a koodo representative on speakerphone (on seperate phones), both of them claiming they don't have the file and can't do anything about it. I had to do this because neither was willing to put what they are saying in writing.

07-20-18:
I receive an email from koodo saying it is my last chance to pay an outstanding bill of $17.45. At my earliest convenience, I tried calling them but they said it got sent to collections. So I called collections and they said they didn’t have it. I was told to wait to hear from them and they would call me.

Since then:
I never heard from them. Fast Forward

02-20-20
Recently I pulled my credit report and see a claim from Koodo for $18 still. These claims are being made monthly, without my knowledge or any type of notification call/email. I have not been contacted or heard from anyone since 2017

02-26-20
I called Koodo and they claimed that it was sent to purgcs 1-866-333-4559 for collections back in 2018.

02-26-20
I call Purgcs and they say it doesn’t exist in their system. They have no claim against me.
I call Koodo back and they say that it was sent for sure.
I call Purgcs back and they say they 100% don’t have it.

02-26-20
I call Equifax to see who is making the monthly claims and they tell me Koodo is. However, Koodo is denying that they are. So I have no way to rectify this. I never had a way to rectify this from the start.
4 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Did you try filing a dispute with Equifax?

C
Feb 26, 2020
3 posts
Not yet. I figure that is my next step? Do I just send what I said above?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
Canadianbyo525 wrote:
02-20-20
Recently I pulled my credit report and see a claim from Koodo for $18 still. These claims are being made monthly, without my knowledge or any type of notification call/email. I have not been contacted or heard from anyone since 2017

02-26-20
I called Koodo and they claimed that it was sent to purgcs 1-866-333-4559 for collections back in 2018. (this is CBV collections)

02-26-20
I call Purgcs and they say it doesn’t exist in their system. They have no claim against me.
I call Koodo back and they say that it was sent for sure.
I call Purgcs back and they say they 100% don’t have it.

02-26-20
I call Equifax to see who is making the monthly claims and they tell me Koodo is. However, Koodo is denying that they are. So I have no way to rectify this. I never had a way to rectify this from the start.
On every tradeline from credit accounts to collection accounts to even credit inquiries there is a licensed credit bureau member number beside the tradeline/inquiry that identifies the member that pulls your report or reports that specific tradeline.
These member numbers are usually 10 digits long and consumers don't get to see them.

If EQ is telling you it is Koodo then it is indeed Koodo as they would be relying on that data by referencing that licensed member number that is identifying them as the trade reporting entity.
Koodo could be right that they sent your account to a collections and recovery agency but it is them that is doing the derog reporting (based on your statement that EQ said so)

Equifax will not give out Koodo's unique member number so all you can do is use your original Koodo account number and hound Koodo to refer your complaint to their credit reporting dept. and have someone there look into it.
Lastly, it's unusual and rare that any FI/Bank or even a utility would send out a collections for just $18. They probably sent your derog file account to their own internal collections recovery dept within Koodo itself
Last edited by mikeymike1 on Feb 27th, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Call Koodo and pay the $18, they will report it next month as being paid in full. Credit score already hit and recovered as more than 2 years since payment was missed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)