Wilfrid Laurier Students ??

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2005 1:42 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
52 upvotes

Wilfrid Laurier Students ??

Well FALL term is starting, just wanted to see if I'll be seeing any "laurier" business/communications students this comning term?

I was in business, but unfortunately i slacked and got bumped down. After hard work, I got re-accepted to another honours program (communications) and enjoying that ever since. =)

Just to let the business ppl know in advance though, it's a very competitive program, and ppl really KILL each other or work 100000x as hard as the next person to get those killer marks to become "TA's" (teacher assistants) or land those coop jobs. But i guess it really comes down to your personality. I had several friends who LEFT business (they were "A" students), just to do something else such as communications studies, and english. They believed they can acheive alot more rather than competiting with each other and created their OWN path for a successful future.....

Their plans? They plan to finish their BA's in communications or whatever arts degree they decided to pursue, and graduate with a high mark, and continue on to other professional professions (eg. law school, masters)...

Some call them stupid for dropping out of business....some call them smart...

I call them..."inspirational.." for creating their OWN story and not following others ppls teachings"
rems wrote: yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
26 replies
Apr 29, 2005
71 posts
7jai wrote:Well FALL term is starting, just wanted to see if I'll be seeing any "laurier" business/communications students this comning term?

I was in business, but unfortunately i slacked and got bumped down. After hard work, I got re-accepted to another honours program (communications) and enjoying that ever since. =)

Just to let the business ppl know in advance though, it's a very competitive program, and ppl really KILL each other or work 100000x as hard as the next person to get those killer marks to become "TA's" (teacher assistants) or land those coop jobs. But i guess it really comes down to your personality. I had several friends who LEFT business (they were "A" students), just to do something else such as communications studies, and english. They believed they can acheive alot more rather than competiting with each other and created their OWN path for a successful future.....

Their plans? They plan to finish their BA's in communications or whatever arts degree they decided to pursue, and graduate with a high mark, and continue on to other professional professions (eg. law school, masters)...

Some call them stupid for dropping out of business....some call them smart...

I call them..."inspirational.." for creating their OWN story and not following others ppls teachings"

What's your name? My friend says he thinks he knows you.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
52 upvotes
ace1353 wrote:What's your name? My friend says he thinks he knows you.

lol i'm not gonna start spreading my name around the forums lol. what's your pals name?
rems wrote: yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
2107 posts
411 upvotes
fellow LAURIER student here!
I'll b entering 3rd yr BBA in the Fall term. I think its a great program and yes, it is very competitive. But isn't competition everywhere? Regardless of where you go to school or where you work, its going to be competitive. You might as well get used to the "atmosphere" of it now so you can learn to adapt to it.

Nobody tries to "kill" each other, but rather work twice as hard as the person next to you. I'm not in co-op but that doesn't mean anything. I have a very good summer job right now and I didn't need the services of Laurier to get me the job. As 7jai said, it really comes down to your personality. If you're the type of person that works hard, it will pay off regardless of where you go in life.

7jai, what year will you be going into?
i THINK i may know you......
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
52 upvotes
sumrandomguy wrote:fellow LAURIER student here!
I'll b entering 3rd yr BBA in the Fall term. I think its a great program and yes, it is very competitive. But isn't competition everywhere? Regardless of where you go to school or where you work, its going to be competitive. You might as well get used to the "atmosphere" of it now so you can learn to adapt to it.

Nobody tries to "kill" each other, but rather work twice as hard as the person next to you. I'm not in co-op but that doesn't mean anything. I have a very good summer job right now and I didn't need the services of Laurier to get me the job. As 7jai said, it really comes down to your personality. If you're the type of person that works hard, it will pay off regardless of where you go in life.

LOL you got PM haha
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
sumrandomguy wrote:fellow LAURIER student here!

3rd year 1st semester is the hardest semester of the entire program. From there on it's downhill. 4th year is a joke, especially in summer co-op all you do is go to keggers and play soft ball.

The program is slightly tough, but doable. I find it kind of shocking that so many people get kicked out of the program. In 1st year it's like 1,000 students and by graduation I think it's around 200-300.
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Apr 21, 2003
483 posts
B40 wrote:3rd year 1st semester is the hardest semester of the entire program. From there on it's downhill. 4th year is a joke, especially in summer co-op all you do is go to keggers and play soft ball.
Must be nice. CS @ Waterloo, you don't have time for keggers and softball. And if you do, you won't be in CS for long.

The only reason it may seem "competitive" is that the brightest students probably don't go to Laurier to begin with. No offense, but it doesn't exactly have a top reputation in the country. Especially compared to Waterloo.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
voyager6868 wrote:Must be nice. CS @ Waterloo, you don't have time for keggers and softball. And if you do, you won't be in CS for long.

The only reason it may seem "competitive" is that the brightest students probably don't go to Laurier to begin with. No offense, but it doesn't exactly have a top reputation in the country. Especially compared to Waterloo.
Laurier has one of the better reputations for business schools. It's known for it's small community type school and also has a co-op program. It's right up there with the other top b-schools. Now if you're comparing CS at WLU and UW, then obviously UW has a much, much better reputation.

The correct comparison here would have been comparing a biz program in general to a CS program. Biz is a joke compared to CS.

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
52 upvotes
voyager6868 wrote:Must be nice. CS @ Waterloo, you don't have time for keggers and softball. And if you do, you won't be in CS for long.

it really depends. depends on the major especially.

waterloo is only known for coop, engin, and math. Nothing left.

Besides undergraduate programs are honestly nothing. Get a masters and that's when the REAL reputation start building. Undergrads are really overrated since they become less and less valuable since everyone is getting one now.

"the more of a commodity in society, the less it's valued"
BU111 + BU121 ==> laurier bizz program 2k3...7jai...
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
CS anywhere involves hardcore nerdiness! lol..but Laurier's BBA program is well known now.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:CS anywhere involves hardcore nerdiness! lol..but Laurier's BBA program is well known now.
lol hardcore nerdiness...

I wouldn't say Laurier's BBA is the best, but it is considered one of the better schools and is right up there with Queens, Ivey, Schulich, Rotman... Maybe laurier needs a fancy name after someone to increase their rep :cheesygri

I think Laurier is one of the more laid back BBA programs. I can't even imagine how Schulich or Queens would be like. If you think Laurier is competitive, you haven't seen anything, I bet Queens and Schulich is twice as bad, or good, depending on how you see it.

Nov 24, 2002
134 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Just curious on your thoughts on the WLU MBA program. How does it compare to other schools? York/Schulich? Ivey? Rotman? Queens?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
9253 posts
1368 upvotes
Toronto
what a small school...this high school down the street from the big university of waterloo is known for its biz program.

but gettin more and more renowned for its biz coop program.. right now in their honours bba coop program and can't complain..small class sizes helps you get to know fellow students better And profs (come in handy in future for good references)..

great school..GREAT coop program (better than waterloo i've heard..placement is much better higher rates)..but no asian ppl..lol..

its getting better..we get the random asian flow from u of waterloo who get lost trying to find their campus and stumble onto ours..

goodtimes school.'

other notable programs: kin, music, economics
Koodo Mobile Plan | $30 20gb plan
Virgin Plus Internet Plan | $45 300mbps plan

WTS: Keyboards
May 28, 2005
226 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
Miyake wrote:Just curious on your thoughts on the WLU MBA program. How does it compare to other schools? York/Schulich? Ivey? Rotman? Queens?
WLU's MBA is very much in the midpack: 2nd to 3rd tier, typically ranking between 10 and 15. It isn't on the same plane as the "Top 5" schools you mentioned, but it is reasonably well recognized. WLU's "competition" might include UVic, SFU, Alberta, Ottawa, Concordia, and Dal. I'd rather have an MBA from WLU than Brock or Windsor. Average GMAT at WLU is 600-620, whereas the other Top 5 schools are 650+.

It is notable because the full time program is very short--12 months, 3 semesters (2 general + one specialization). I can understand that some people might prefer to get an MBA with only a year of downtime, as opposed to 2 years at most other schools. Laurier was the first in Canada to have a 3-semester program.

The part time Toronto options are interesting, especially the MBA/CMA and MBA/CFA streams.

I went to WLU for my undergrad, and looked seriously at WLU's MBA program. In the end, I wasn't terribly won over by it, and found it to pale in comparison to the BBA. I also wanted 2 specialization semesters, so instead I'm headed to Mac this fall for the Co-Op MBA.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
2107 posts
411 upvotes

As B40 said, if you're comparing the CS program at Laurier and at UW, then obviously UW is a much better program. You cannot compare two different programs from two different universities. Laurier is known for its School of Business and Economics (SBE) and not for its CS program. Other programs WLU is also known for is Economics, Music, and Kinesiology. Simply put, you cannot compare apples with oranges.

B40 wrote:3rd year 1st semester is the hardest semester of the entire program. From there on it's downhill. 4th year is a joke, especially in summer co-op all you do is go to keggers and play soft ball.

The program is slightly tough, but doable. I find it kind of shocking that so many people get kicked out of the program. In 1st year it's like 1,000 students and by graduation I think it's around 200-300.

B40, are you a Laurier Alumni?

CHINAdeals, what year are you in?
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
CHINAdeals wrote:what a small school...this high school down the street from the big university of waterloo is known for its biz program.

but gettin more and more renowned for its biz coop program.. right now in their honours bba coop program and can't complain..small class sizes helps you get to know fellow students better And profs (come in handy in future for good references)..

great school..GREAT coop program (better than waterloo i've heard..placement is much better higher rates)..but no asian ppl..lol..

its getting better..we get the random asian flow from u of waterloo who get lost trying to find their campus and stumble onto ours..

goodtimes school.'

other notable programs: kin, music, economics
I hear thats good for BBA but other programs are more 'avg'. Specially their Math/CS ones..But its a small uni and since its a non-commute based uni, you will know almost everyone on campus and if you are a pimp DADDY!! lol you are set..

otherwise, I also know of few geeksters who didn't get one girl to say Hi to em during their 4-5 years at Laurier. lol.. most of my HS went to Laurier..I heard nuff sad stories from others.. But none the less, I hear its a great uni! I know of few ppl attending it.
Apr 21, 2003
483 posts
7jai wrote:Besides undergraduate programs are honestly nothing. Get a masters and that's when the REAL reputation start building. Undergrads are really overrated since they become less and less valuable since everyone is getting one now.
Just because "everyone's getting one" doesn't mean the quality of the insitution doesn't matter. I mean, almost everyone has a car. It doesn't mean that a Neon and a Porsche are now equal, and only when you can afford your own personal jet does the quality of the vehicle matter :)

How do you think you get into a Master's program at a good school? Having an undergrad degree from a reputable place is a big help, plus since the undergrad program is better, you'll be more successful, on average, doing your Master's because you'll be so much better prepared.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2002
1177 posts
9 upvotes
I go there. I like it so far :)

A LOT of hot girls there :D

Ratio is about 6F/4M. I would say around 75% of the woman are hot, 15% are :D WOW! the other 10% are average to ulgy.

ohhh and if your white your not a minority @ laurier.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
DISH wrote:Ratio is about 6F/4M.
I hope you're not in the math program.

Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2002
1177 posts
9 upvotes
lol sorry too many beers

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)