Cell Phones

Will the 2nd sim slot of my dual sim phone be useless if Rogers shuts down its GSM (2G) network in 2018?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2016 7:23 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2014
795 posts
247 upvotes

Will the 2nd sim slot of my dual sim phone be useless if Rogers shuts down its GSM (2G) network in 2018?

I have an Acer z630 dual sim phone, with one sim from Speakout (for phone) and the 2nd sim from Fido (data). The phone setting shows one sim is running at 4G/LTE, while the 2nd sim is automatically at 2G.

Based on wikipedia, Rogers is going to shut down its GSM (2G) network in 2018. As Fido is Roger's subsidiary and they share the same GSM (2G) networks, does that mean that Fido will also shut down its GSM (2G) network that would render many "older" dual sim phones to have only one sim slot functional?

Another question is that the Speakout website says its sim is compatible with most unlocked 3G/HSPA+ handsets with frequency bands of 850/1900MHz, which means that it runs at 3G? Why does my phone goes to automatically go to 2G when Speakout's sim is for 3G?

Any suggestions for a dual 4G/3G phone, i.e., when one sim is at 4G, the other sim will be at 3G, if Fido may also shut down its GSM (2G) network?
64 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
631 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Beefeater wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 3:48 pm
I have an Acer z630 dual sim phone, with one sim from Speakout (for phone) and the 2nd sim from Fido (data). The phone setting shows one sim is running at 4G/LTE, while the 2nd sim is automatically at 2G.
1. There are newer phones that can have both active 3g/4g in the two slots
2. Assuming the worst scenario when 2 g is shut down sometime in 2018, then your vintage (by then) phone can only use the speakout SIM when you data is off. It will be inconvenient when you are on line for data and you cannot talk. Obviously that call will go to your voicemail and text will come back when you turn off your data.
That is what I see in my blurry crystal ball
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15012 posts
2072 upvotes
Toronto
I'm no expert but It probably has to do with the fact that the phone may one have one antenna for 3g/4g and one antenna for 2g.

I think it is safe to assume that Fido 2g will stop when Rogers 2g stops.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3752 posts
1288 upvotes
AB
You'll probably get a new phone by the time Rogers shuts down the 2G radio in 2018, right?
The Dual 4G & 3G phones just started coming out recently, and there will more choices as time goes by. Just make sure when you upgrade in the future and still want to keep Speakout & Fido, that your new phone can do 4G and 3G simultaneously.
Regarding your question about "Speakout website": your phone defaults to 2G because that's what it was designed to do if the second SIM is already using 3G or LTE for data. The phone doesn't have 2 modems to support two 3G of higher connections at the same time. And because Speakout still offers 2G that's how you are able to connect at all. US has no 2G anymore, Australia started shutting it down this year. More and more countries are planing to do the same, so technology and phone manufacturers are adapting.
Phones that allow 3G and 4G at the same time: One Plus 3 & Axon 7.
7500 free Supercharger kms on a new Tesla!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11320 posts
1217 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Man, that would suck, as I get crappy 3G reception in my room.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
631 upvotes
NORTH YORK
rabbit wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 4:08 am
Man, that would suck, as I get crappy 3G reception in my room.
No clue what you are talking about.
What phone do you have? Have you got 4g or LTE outdoor and only 3 g indoor?
If so that is normal as reception is location specific.
Daniel

Feb 16, 2014
638 posts
119 upvotes
London
Beefeater wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 3:48 pm
Based on wikipedia, Rogers is going to shut down its GSM (2G) network in 2018. As Fido is Roger's subsidiary and they share the same GSM (2G) networks, does that mean that Fido will also shut down its GSM (2G) network
Mark me!They will never shut it down.Just look at the rate of the population/consumers of 2G.

They toss this gossip to make you and me to rush to 3G and above,well before than the date they start forcing people to upgrade themselves.

They will look at the rates of remained people in 2018.If many,they will ignore it.If less,they forcefully push them to 3G and above.

If you get to marketing/business school and you have a good instructor,they will teach you those tricks as well.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2014
795 posts
247 upvotes
esfandiyar2002 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 9:04 am
Mark me!They will never shut it down.Just look at the rate of the population/consumers of 2G.
I hope your are right. But many phone carriers around the world (USA, Australia, Singapore, etc) are shutting down 2g, and Rogers is the only Canadian carrier having it.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1034 upvotes
Richmond
They will be shutting it down in 2018 asap, it is costing them a lot of money keeping those old equipment up. They already delayed it once (It was supposed to be shutdown earlier this year) so I don't see any chance of them not turning it off.

Having said that. In a year. It is probably time to upgrade anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
631 upvotes
NORTH YORK
esfandiyar2002 wrote:
They will never shut it down.Just look at the rate of the population/consumers of 2G.
Nothing is forever. But it will be a little while. If you google "2 g network home security system", you will see a lot of entries. Rogers is making tons of money being a monopoly of home wireless system. And it is not sounding the alarm though. When it gives the notice, then it will be another couple years before 2 g is being shut down (IMO)
Daniel

Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3752 posts
1288 upvotes
AB
danieltoronto wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 5:08 pm
Nothing is forever. But it will be a little while. If you google "2 g network home security system", you will see a lot of entries. Rogers is making tons of money being a monopoly of home wireless system. And it is not sounding the alarm though. When it gives the notice, then it will be another couple years before 2 g is being shut down (IMO)
I think the shut down of 2G in Canada will be gradual. Rogers might keep some 2G towers active, in remote areas, or where it still makes financial sense to maintain the equipment. But the big urban areas will be shut down pretty fast, because 2G doesn't bring any benefits to the table. I'm sure they have the concrete numbers of how many users are on strictly 2G connections in various areas, I'd be surprised if the numbers are high for big city areas.
In regards to the security systems, while it's true that these are using 2G at the moment, the industry has been flexible in the past to quickly move from AMPS cellular network to 2G GSM. So it's only natural for the industry to upgrade to 3G or even LTE as fast as the technology is available. I don't think Rogers will wait for these guys indefinitely.
Last edited by ciuvak on Dec 10th, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2060 posts
917 upvotes
esfandiyar2002 wrote:

They toss this gossip to make you and me to rush to 3G and above,well before than the date they start forcing people to upgrade themselves.

They will look at the rates of remained people in 2018.If many,they will ignore it.If less,they forcefully push them to 3G and above.

If you get to marketing/business school and you have a good instructor,they will teach you those tricks as well.
They will also teach you about AVC (= Average Variable Cost). And how that number needs to be minimized. Hard to minimize it with 15 years old equipment that costs a fortune to run (i.e. power) and maintain (service) while wasting valuable spectrum you want to use for faster (=more data usage, more $$$) LTE. Add to that the opportunity for some quick bucks from equipment "upgrade".
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
631 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ciuvak wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 6:38 pm
. I don't think Rogers will wait for these guys indefinitely.
Rogers are actually the guys man!!
It runs the shows. Other monitoring guys have to rely on Rogers (2 g) as it is the only one available
Also I believe the 2 g system in GTA and GVA are the one to upgrade the last given the high concentration of home monitoring clients

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/home-monitoring
Daniel

Feb 16, 2014
638 posts
119 upvotes
London
elwebmaster wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 6:39 pm
They will also teach you about AVC (= Average Variable Cost). And how that number needs to be minimized. Hard to minimize it with 15 years old equipment that costs a fortune to run (i.e. power) and maintain (service) while wasting valuable spectrum you want to use for faster (=more data usage, more $$$) LTE. Add to that the opportunity for some quick bucks from equipment "upgrade".
One thing you forget to consider is the hazardous of value loss in marketing of those services.

You cannot push peoples to pay more,just because you want to upgrade your equipment and you have no previous good reputation to gain their trust on.

If you want to push/force them to upgrade and pay more to you,you will end up either other opponents who offer those services for less,or subsidising that service to be more affordable.

No matter how you kill the competition by keeping allies,the supply and demand in this shrinking economy is more unreliable that it can make you take the risk of massive changes.Unless by tossing the rumours of shutting down the previous services for your customers,while nagging,it's hard to achieve that goal.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3752 posts
1288 upvotes
AB
I'm not sure why some people are trying to highlight the upgrade push so much. There is nothing to upgrade and in the big picture, almost no regular voice/data subscriber will notice. Even going back 10 years to flip phones, most had HSDPA bands. So if people can still do the basics (call and get sms) and if the coverage is more or less the same, they will not care that Rogers turned of 2G bands. Their older devices will still work on the 3G radios.