Home & Garden

Will this brick work effect my condo resale price (pic attached)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2017 12:33 pm
Sep 11, 2008
694 posts
32 upvotes
Courtice

Will this brick work effect my condo resale price (pic attached)

I bought a new build condo/villa and moved in four months ago. The front door was damaged so they replaced it. Tonight I came home to see the brick work around the new door does not match the original and to me it looks awful. Would the difference in brick colour/texture effect a resale price when it is time for me to sell?

18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Once it weathers after a few months it will be less noticeable. Doesn't look like a major issue to me.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
Hopefully the mortar will lighten up significantly once it's completely dry.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Its fine if you are playing Tetris.

Post photo of neighbouring door. Is it the same brick outline?
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Sep 11, 2008
694 posts
32 upvotes
Courtice
All the other doors are of the same brick and texture as the brick I used to have. They have used a reddish brick which is smooth and just odd and out of place.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1629 posts
536 upvotes
Mississauga
That looks horrible, That wouldn't pass with me if that was my house. I would make them rip it out and use the matching brick.
"With today's sheep mentality sometimes I feel like going to a wall and just bang my head"
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1525 posts
1657 upvotes
ON
I don't know if the light is playing tricks but are the vertical and horizontal bricks somewhat different? The horizontal line appears to be a closer match with the wall. And once the mortar dries up and lightens the difference will be even less.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Sep 11, 2008
694 posts
32 upvotes
Courtice
In real life it looks like a mix of bricks. Reddish in colour. I am going to tell them I am not happy with it and I want the bricks to match. This is just one of dozens of issues I have had since I bought this place.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2312 posts
907 upvotes
Montreal
That looks really bad.
It might look a bit better when it's dry, but ...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1562 posts
541 upvotes
Vaughan
sorry, this looks horrible. I would definitely ask them to fix it... sucks that you're going through so many issues with the builder. also weird that they had to replace the bricks to replace the door? I would have assumed that the door frame was fine and it was just the door that required replacement?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1268 posts
655 upvotes
York Region
What was the damage with the door? Did someone drive into your door and damaged the bricks? I wouldn't be too happy with that. They have to use the same colour bricks or cover that whole section with stone to cover up the mismatch repair.
Sep 11, 2008
694 posts
32 upvotes
Courtice
The actual door had gashes out of it and the bottom metal foot plate was all bent. They had to remove the whole door so that the door foot plate could be replaced. It looks hideous. Even when it is dry the brick will not match. It is not the same colour or texture as the original. I have decided I am not going to let them keep it looking this way. I have emailed them with a picture expressing how unhappy I am. It sticks out like a sore thumb.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
Holystone wrote: I don't know if the light is playing tricks but are the vertical and horizontal bricks somewhat different? The horizontal line appears to be a closer match with the wall. And once the mortar dries up and lightens the difference will be even less.
I am noticing the same thing, I think once everything dries up this will look ok. If you look close at the vertical bricks, the middle of them is drier than the outside (due to wet mortar), and it's colour is much closer to the old brick.
Right now it looks like crap.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3798 upvotes
Thornhill
Who fixed it, the seller or condominium corporation?
Sep 11, 2008
694 posts
32 upvotes
Courtice
The condominium corporation. It is my condo and it was a new build when I bought it. 4 months old. I was asking if I ever wanted to sell it that would effect the resale value but I am going to have them fix it.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
It looks like crap and should be repaired correctly and in line with all the other condo units. It will affect resale.

It is surprising that this was deemed acceptable in that most condo corps want entrance ways to be similar to ensure a quality look all around.

I'll be if you did something like this to the entrance, they would be all over your butt
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
The condo corp. has (or should have) as much concern as you do that the appearance is consistent. That is, consistent with your own other brickwork, and consistent with the brickwork of the other units.

Given that construction is very recent, matching bricks should have been obtainable - or during removal of damaged door frame they should have been able to salvage and clean original bricks.

I would get their answers to those questions before insisting on the the whole thing being reworked.

Maybe the original bricks got a sealant put on them once they had dried out, and once the new bricks get the same treatment they will look the same, both in colour and texture.

If not sealant, there should be some coating treatment to get the bricks to look very similar.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3798 upvotes
Thornhill
onepixel wrote: The condominium corporation. It is my condo and it was a new build when I bought it. 4 months old. I was asking if I ever wanted to sell it that would effect the resale value but I am going to have them fix it.
Well I think you're in for an uphill battle.

The corporation has the right to fix and repair common elements to their standards. If they're responsible for the exterior and doors, it's theirs not yours. If it's your door then check their by-laws they may still have the right to fix or repair as they see fit. Check also to see if there is anything within the declaration and by-laws requiring conformity.
Sep 11, 2008
694 posts
32 upvotes
Courtice
Thanks. I will check that out.