Art and Photography

Will Canon's conservative releases be its demise?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2017 2:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2422 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto

Will Canon's conservative releases be its demise?

With the recent release of the Sony A9 it seems like Sony has placed Canon in a precarious position.

It's easy to visualize a trickle down of the gains from the A9 to be placed into the A7Riii or Sony might even release a A9R for those that want a larger body (a common complaint about mirrorless).

The 5Div was a modest upgrade from Canon, however, with the A9 I think Canon would need to canablize their own sales to prevent Sony from taking over more of the market share.

Since the 6D2 is on the horizon, how does Canon release a model that won't eat into the sales of the 5Div but also answer Sony's recent marketing pressure?

Sony has shown of late that they are clearly looking to capture more of the market with the gains they've made through R&D.

I only bring this up because I face a predicament.

I have an aging 6D that needs to be replaced and I haven't invested too much into Canon L glass yet.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6749 posts
971 upvotes
I don't think that is the sole reason of their demise, it has been a long time coming with their history of feature holding for future release or higher end model. Where as Sony tends to give you everything they got at the time but you just have to pay an arm or leg for and somehow manage to come out with more features on a later model upgrade but the price will be even worst.

Canon/Nikon do still have a cult following however with many users seemingly refusing to believe in anything Sony so they should be fine for a while. Plus, Sony is just way expensive for anyone to switch completely over easily so C/N still has a long way to go.
Last edited by hdom on May 13th, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
a9 to me is the a7iii...they just decided to double the price because they're hoping to capture professionals with this net...except the net has holes (limited native telephoto options right now, dreadful buffering delay for burst shooting)

any sports/wildlife shooter would be better off with the a99ii....or stick with Canikon. I think a9 series is a step in the right direction, but it desperately needs weather-sealing and USB 3.1/TB3

I don't believe there will be new a7 series going forward. Sony is trying to move upmarket (I'm confident we'll see the a9R and a9S in the coming weeks and months, respectively.) The a6500 has basically captured the a7ii segment, a good chunk of a7s too.

i believe there will be increasingly more professionals using fuji and sony, esp the newer generation/tech-savvy crowd that got their foot in the door with mirrorless. I don't believe the ones who's made a livelihood out of DSLR gear for 20+ years will drop everything and jump ship. So yes, if Canikon keeps up status quo, eventually what you're predicting might just happen, but it will take a long time
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1194 posts
190 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Canon is the one camera company that's doing OK.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9841 posts
4223 upvotes
Southern Ontario
When we're approaching 12K views, some of that is translating into purchases, and that's one thread. People are still buying them.

camera-canada-eos-rebel-t6i-24-mp-efs-1 ... 9-2096636/

How many people are buying $6K+tax cameras anyway? It's the bread and butter that keeps these companies' camera divisions afloat.
Jul 12, 2010
389 posts
57 upvotes
Overall it could be their demised. But won't happen anytime soon.

But Canon has its choke hold on the competition. Largest secondary market supply, probably the BEST auto focus, variety of glass and different price points and that canon natural colour profile.

The biggest complaint besides trying to protect their product offerings by taking away features from lower end cameras is their Video features/ encoding. Probably mostly has to do with their sensors / cpu processing kind of sucks. They don't offer 4k or high fps at 1080p for nice slow-mo. I hope they do add flip out screen for high end models and touch screen. When every phone nowadays can do 4k and your $4000 dollar camera is doing some crappy non encoded 4k and like basic 1080 is kind of sad. I don't the argument that you should get a C100 or something for video and that the 5D shouldn't have good video. It should atleast have useful video because 5d line was a trend setter before on video features on a "stills" focus camera and pushed the boundaries of what was the norm. they sort of lost focus and don't see the benefits of having people learn to do videography on a 5d and then upgrade to C100 for a superior recording performance and better button placements.

I do hope they cut down on some of the lower end product offers and stop refreshing them every year for a small sensor upgrade. I understand they think its needed like the iphone but tbh people don't really need these low end dslr they bulky rather shoot with a one in one style of camera or a cellphone for convenience. I know its needed for ppl to start learning photography at a lower budget but T3i to T5i is pretty much the same shit and makes consumers confused when deciding what to get.

the sad part is I feel like canon won't change its ways until Sony and Nikon take enough of the market share to the point they are too behind the game and too late to compete in features and . But yeah they have revenue coming from alot of other sources like printers that seem to keep them rolling.
Aug 1, 2010
735 posts
297 upvotes
Montreal
Nobody can touch Canon/Nikon when it comes to sports/wildlife photography for now, not even the A9.

The 1DX/D5 can withstand so much pain while the A9 cannot even handle rain...
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2422 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like Sony just put more pressure, announced GMaster 16-35 2.8 and a very competitive priced 11-24 F4
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1194 posts
190 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
80D would be a nice upgrade, and it's $1350 for the body. A lot more resolution, much better high ISO performance, better dynamic range, extra features like WiFi, better AF.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11013 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
Canon and Nikon will be around for a long time because of the huge investment in glass that many pros have made.