Art and Photography

Will Canon's conservative releases be its demise?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 2:24 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2688 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:22 pm
A7RIII vs Canon 5DIV

Pros: Smaller system (with non-GM native Sony glass), dual cards now and bigger battery than A7RII, MC11 now gives eyeAF with Canon lenses. Mainly, Sony sensor and wider AF coverage, more points. EVF.

Cons: Questionable AF speed across Canon glass, reliability in pro situations, dual body users cannot easily put flashes and triggers from Canon to Sony on the job, more muscle memory required to change settings between different bodies, more editing work (same body = same RAWs), portrait users prefer Canon skin tones.

Essentially a pro working with multiple bodies should use one system and native lenses which is a costly switch. Differences in gear between the two do not improve skills in composition, posing, lighting, editing (remove posing for non-portraits), worth it?

That said, might be good for a single body user, non-demanding situations. And you won’t know til you try!
I'm hoping Canon will finally feel the pressure and give us something next year or soon.

Seems inexcusable that only option for landscape photographers is the 5D4 at the moment.

Canon L Glass has proven itself, I just wish the bodies would be kept up to par.
Aug 1, 2010
741 posts
299 upvotes
Montreal
AncasterRFD wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:20 am
What would you be hoping for?
125mpx hybrid 35mm/medium format sensor back-lit, side-lit and front-lit
10 stop stabilized unicorn dust floating sensor
16k 4:4:4 HDR 3D Holographic Video
Unlimited burst at 50fps
Mirror movement powered battery for unlimited battery life, heat generated for video battery life
Dual SSD slots
Priced at $1500 CAD Kit with 16-400mm f1.2 constant
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11161 posts
1804 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:02 am
Unlimited burst at 50fps
Mirror movement powered battery for unlimited battery life, heat generated for video battery life
Dual SSD slots
I'd buy that at the first price drop to $999, lol
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9980 posts
4293 upvotes
Southern Ontario
aerok wrote:
Unlimited burst at 50fps
Dual SSD slots
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2688 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:20 am
What would you be hoping for?
Essentially what the 6D2 was thought it would be
Dual slots
Better low light than the 5D4
Improved DR
Better spread of AF focus
100% VF coverage
Joystick

I would be happy if Canon gave still life photographers a capable body under 4K.
Jan 13, 2017
4 posts
aerok wrote:
Unlimited burst at 50fps
Dual SSD slots
Or, you can use your phone to take the selfies and pics of Pizza slices..
Aug 1, 2010
741 posts
299 upvotes
Montreal
PSCS3IS wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:10 pm
Or, you can use your phone to take the selfies and pics of Pizza slices..
My phone should have the same specs minus the mirror movement powered battery of course.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9980 posts
4293 upvotes
Southern Ontario
rebel_rfd wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:26 am
Essentially what the 6D2 was thought it would be
Dual slots
Better low light than the 5D4
Improved DR
Better spread of AF focus
100% VF coverage
Joystick

I would be happy if Canon gave still life photographers a capable body under 4K.
The 6D was marketed for landscapes and it would have been nice for the 6DII to have dual slots. The extra focus points end to end aren't necessary for that type of photography and gains in using an ND, grad ND, and focus stacking in post cannot be surpassed by Sony sensor and in-camera technology. A pro using a Sony would still employ those physical methods. For architecture, Sony doesn't make nice tilt shift lenses like Canon/Nikon, you could of course use an adapter.

I don't foresee Canon coming out with an improved 6DIII or 5DV anytime soon due to their historical release times.

imho it looks great as specs, but there's really not that much difference in practicality, as it's surpassed by technique and digital artistry. I see stunning photography every day, and they are shot with a wide variety of gear with lesser specs than the latest Sony's.