Computers & Electronics

Will a hackintosh laptop running on OS X Mountain Lion be able to take on Mavericks?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2013 3:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
32733 posts
5550 upvotes

Will a hackintosh laptop running on OS X Mountain Lion be able to take on Mavericks?

OS X Mavericks:
http://www.apple.com/ca/osx/preview/?ci ... g-mac-0001

When Apple says desktop operating system, that includes laptops, correct? :)

Is it better to wait to confirm system compatibility before purchasing an inexpensive Ivy Bridge / Haswell laptop or will something running Mountain Lion be able to handle the newer OS? I know it maybe a major pain trying to keep up with OS updates but may give it a shot.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Someone pointed me out to this helpful forum:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptops/
16 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11107 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
Even getting the hardware recommended on the various OSX forums is no guarantee that you'll have a fully-functional Mac using non-Mac hardware. The biggest issue for any Hackintosh build is drivers. Using AppleUpdate can also cause a system to not boot or crash.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
32733 posts
5550 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2013 2:21 pm
Even getting the hardware recommended on the various OSX forums is no guarantee that you'll have a fully-functional Mac using non-Mac hardware. The biggest issue for any Hackintosh build is drivers. Using AppleUpdate can also cause a system to not boot or crash.
Thanks.

That much of trouble, huh? I saw the thread for a HP Probook, which users say is very compatible, and even each of the updates had to take a two step process (regular update + a hack).
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11107 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 4th, 2013 2:33 pm
Thanks.

That much of trouble, huh? I saw the thread for a HP Probook, which users say is very compatible, and even each of the updates had to take a two step process (regular update + a hack).
Depending on the hardware, you may also need an unlocked bios to make everything function properly such as hibernate.

It's terrible when you have a functioning build and you run an update that breaks everything :(
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
32733 posts
5550 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2013 2:44 pm
Depending on the hardware, you may also need an unlocked bios to make everything function properly such as hibernate.

It's terrible when you have a functioning build and you run an update that breaks everything :(
There's this seller on ebay selling a 2nd gen laptop that is running a dual boot. I guess because I have no need for another Windows PC, I was thinking of toying with it just for the OS X.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Toshiba-Satellit ... 20d5c985f1

This is also a concern:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion ... first.html
7) If you are trying to install on to a laptop that only has Intel HD Graphics, be aware that this GPU is not supported. It will only run at 1024x768 with NO graphics acceleration and you will not be able to run things like iTunes.

Thanks for your help. I guess we are stuck with buying genuine Appleware if we want to try OS X.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11107 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 4th, 2013 2:55 pm
There's this seller on ebay selling a 2nd gen laptop that is running a dual boot. I guess because I have no need for another Windows PC, I was thinking of toying with it just for the OS X.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Toshiba-Satellit ... 20d5c985f1

This is also a concern:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion ... first.html
7) If you are trying to install on to a laptop that only has Intel HD Graphics, be aware that this GPU is not supported. It will only run at 1024x768 with NO graphics acceleration and you will not be able to run things like iTunes.

Thanks for your help. I guess we are stuck with buying genuine Appleware if we want to try OS X.
Intel graphics isn't necessarily a problem as there are Mac drivers for Intel graphics. The problem is finding a driver that works. Apple has never released the code for their driver. Even taking a driver from Mac OS and changing the hardware ID hasn't worked.

If you want a laptop that is OSx compatible, I think a laptop with an nVidia gpu has a better chance of working with hardware acceleration. Just because you get the proper resolution for your laptop screen doesn't mean hard acceleration is working.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 16, 2003
9964 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
I use a hackintosh and honestly after I got it running didn't bother to do any update since...

Its too much work and reading to make sure nothing breaks etc...

Unless you want to constantly keep up to date on forums and stuff, just buy a mac

And definitely don't buy a hackintosh just learn to do it yourself
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1250 posts
709 upvotes
I built a hackintosh. You really need specific parts on the desktop end. I would stay away 100% on non apple laptops. Just buy a macbook
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
32733 posts
5550 upvotes
Okay, seems like Apple laptop it will be. Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Just wished Apple introduced touch screen, since I think it inevitably will. :)
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
no unless you can backup your bootloader or use something like refit bootloader your out of luck.
ivy is fully supported in hackintosh build.
i have done many and i can tell you from experience you should have much issues with drivers with ivy.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
ahha yeah. as long as you got multibeast on a usb stick. your good.
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 5th, 2013 8:23 am
Did you mean shouldn't have issues?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4386 posts
857 upvotes
London
If you just want to try Mac OSX I've used it in the past with VMware...no idea if current versions work though.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
whatever you decide to do.
the best advice i can give you before you do anything is to read and ask.
dont buy anything until you get the definitive answers first.
i bought a few wifi adapters before reading if they were supported in my first few hackintosh builds and ended up returning all of them.
also i could of saved a ton of time if i picked a hardware build that was easier to setup out of the box.
but once the hackintosh is working it works well.
back to your original question about the imaging and backup.
i found that cloning is fine as long as your mac and windows or linux OS partitions are on completly different HDD's.
don't partition the drive and put both OS's on it. that way if one OS fails you can just swap out the drive with your back up and keep everything else intact.
this will also keep your bootloader happy and if there is a boot issue you can always boot up chimera and setup again using your usb stick.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
that is only on certain hardware that does not have official drivers or hacked drivers yet.
the reason ppl go hackintosh is superior hardware for a fraction of the cost you would spend from apple.
i can make an i7 system decked out building it myself for less then 1k instead of buying a mac pro from apple for almost 3.5k.
i would also get more speed and power out of the hackintosh as well... and hand pick the parts i want.

Premium wrote:
Aug 5th, 2013 9:35 pm
I would love to build a hackintosh but after reading some guides, only certain parts will work and it is a waste of time to go back and forth. I rather purchase a Macbook Pro and save the hassle..
× < >