• Jan 13th, 2010 8:31 am
Tags:
None
Nov 11, 2005
244 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto

Will Home Depot cut wood to order?

I'm planning to make a few sets of speaker stands for myself and friends. I live in an apartment so I don't think i want all the dust and a table saw in my dining room.

Will Home Depot cut MDF for me?

If not where can I get this done?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
19 replies
Oct 17, 2005
254 posts
Richmond Hill
Yes Home Depot will make cuts for you.

Just buy a sheet of MDF, 4x8 or 4x4 and I think they allow 3 free cuts, after that they charge you $1 per cut.

Just have your measurements handy and try to minimize the amount of cuts.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4014 posts
31 upvotes
I have had wood cut at HD and while it's great that offer the service, the accuracy was pretty poor.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
209 upvotes
I had wood cut at the HD in Anaster a couple of years ago, and the accuracy was extremely good.....because I kept my eye on the whole process.

The other bonus is that the employees seem to enjoy using their big wall mounted saw, and didn't charge me anything for about 30 cuts.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2005
244 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the info folks. I wonder if I could find a place that would let me use a table saw for an hourly rate or something. does such a place exist? Remember renting a table saw from HD won't work for me this time of year...WAY to cold in Winterpeg right now.
Oct 17, 2005
254 posts
Richmond Hill
Check your local community centres and schools since some might have woodworking classes and talk to the instructor if you could use some of the tools.

Also maybe place a "want" ad in the local supermarket or online classified.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7690 posts
317 upvotes
If you bump into a friendly operator they'll waive the extra cuts. Had 20+ cuts once on MDF (best to pay anyway because the dust is deadly and kills your blades quick) and they guy was totally cool about it.

The machine is extremely accurate depending upon the operator of course.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6663 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
The best part is that if they screw up, you just get another board and tell them to start again.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
9 upvotes
KELOWNA
One tip. I needed a lot of cuts for a project and had it all mapped out on paper when I went in the store. They were a little busy so I just left the wood and paper and they called me when they had it all done. Giving them the time to do it when they weren't busy really paid off as it was the first time they had everything cut perfectly. So if you have some time, see if leaving it with them works. I think I got mine by the next day, it wasn't long.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2005
244 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't buy today but went to price my materials. It turns out they don't have a couple of things I need. I'll go back when I round up everything else. I might try going on a weekday morning to find a bored lumber guy who knows how to work a saw. I don't mid leaving it there for a day if that helps.

Now to draw up a cut sheet.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6663 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Remember the saw takes up 1/8".
Mar 27, 2007
942 posts
Toronto
Guess we were unlucky!!! My brother in-law and I bought some long boards and needed them cut in to 3 equal parts so we can shove them into our car. The wood cutter, aka floor sweeper, measured the first, cut, and use that as a visual guide for cutting the rest. He proudly pointed to the sign, "NO GUARANTEE OF CUTS" before we get to say anything. We'd expected that the cuts would be off by an inch or two, but not by a foot.
Mar 29, 2003
817 posts
1 upvote
synaptech wrote:
Feb 15th, 2008 1:27 pm
I have had wood cut at HD and while it's great that offer the service, the accuracy was pretty poor.
x2. They told me they were allowed to be a 1/4 inch off. For something custom, its horrible.
Drew_W wrote:
Feb 17th, 2008 1:43 am
Remember the saw takes up 1/8".
If they knew anything they would cut along the side if the mark so they wouldnt have to subtract the 1/8"
Toshiba P100 Laptop.
17" WXGA, Intel Centrino Duo T7200 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB SATA HDD, Maxtor 500 GB SATA External, GeForce 7600 256 MB.
× < >