Shopping Discussion

Will I get charged Customs duty from Aliexpress

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 9:56 am
Feb 18, 2018
2 posts

Will I get charged Customs duty from Aliexpress

I got this bag and a dress from aliexpress which was 31 Cad and 25 Usd and 11 USD and 15 CAD.
And was wondering if I would get charged customs duty, import charge, handling fee, etc??and how much it will cost?
FYI Shipping I've chosen for both of them is E-packet and I live in Ontario.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2053 posts
183 upvotes
York Region
If they are shipped in 3 separate packages, very good chances are there will be no duty charges.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3251 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
rugrrats wrote: I got this bag and a dress from aliexpress which was 31 Cad and 25 Usd and 11 USD and 15 CAD.
And was wondering if I would get charged customs duty, import charge, handling fee, etc??and how much it will cost?
As I'm sure you've already discovered through your own research (ether by searching this forum or elsewhere online...you did that, right?) shipments are tax/duty free up to $20 CAD. That means your second purchase should be excluded if it comes separately.

E Packets I think come via Canada Post, IMO, there's a better than even chance you'll receive them without any duties and/or taxes assessed. Having said that however, when making a purchase from a retailer outside Canada, you should always assume you will pay duties and/or taxes (and some fees), and take that into consideration when determining whether the price you are paying from the offshore retailer is actually going to save you money. That way there are no surprises when you do get dinged, and if you don't - it's a bonus.

For deliveries through Canada Post, you're looking at PST/GST/HST (as appropriate) and a $10 admin fee.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15616 posts
13273 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I've ordered over 2 dozen items and never got charged with customs. Most sellers will mark the item with low prices on the mail.
rugrrats wrote: I got this bag and a dress from aliexpress which was 31 Cad and 25 Usd and 11 USD and 15 CAD.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Feb 24, 2017
51 posts
53 upvotes
I ordered a lot of items on AliExpress and I never got charged for duty. My sister ordered a dress and she didn't get charged duty either.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
the simple answer: You could.

Will you, probably not.

Can you, yes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)