Personal Finance

Will I still receive EI benefits if I go to school full time?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2015 8:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 18, 2004
1371 posts
19 upvotes
The 6

Will I still receive EI benefits if I go to school full time?

I just recently been terminated from my previous employer and I will be receiving my termination pay shortly as he fired me without just cause and without 3 weeks notification.

Anyways, I already applied for EI .. and was wondering will I still get EI benefits if I am going to school full time? Because I have worked consecutively for the past 3 years every week 30-35hrs while going to school sept - april and 40-50hrs may - aug.

I spoke with the lady from service canada over the phone and she said I would need to speak with someone when I find out how many hours and what days, I will be in school for. I would like to know if I can plan my school schedule around a timetable that will still allow me to get my full benefits.

I am considering doing part-time/online classes as well if it could help my situation. Service Canada didn't give me much help or tips, they just said you cannot receive any benefits while you are in school full time because you will be unable to work which is foolish because I was working full time while going to school full time.

Anyways, any help is appreciated.
50 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm interested to know this as well.

You've put in the work hours to qualify you for EI. It should be irrelevant WHAT you're going to be doing once you stop working (whether fired, or resigned, or layed off or whatever), point is-you qualify-> You get EI.

Now I'm curious of course, if you're going to be a full-time student, maybe you'd qualify for more OSAP? Is that at all plausible?

Very Intrigued.
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1827 posts
85 upvotes
EI won't pay client benefits if they are considered a Full Time student. By classification your either considered a Full time student or a Full time worker - even if you can manage doing both.

Don't kill the messenger...it's in the EI rules and regulation
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1827 posts
85 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Aug 13th, 2010 3:52 pm
I'm interested to know this as well.

You've put in the work hours to qualify you for EI. It should be irrelevant WHAT you're going to be doing once you stop working (whether fired, or resigned, or layed off or whatever), point is-you qualify-> You get EI.

Now I'm curious of course, if you're going to be a full-time student, maybe you'd qualify for more OSAP? Is that at all plausible?

Very Intrigued.
It does matter what your doing. You have to ready, willing and capable of working or looking for work ---that's part of qualifying for benefits.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7340 posts
747 upvotes
EI will pay for training in another field if you cant find work in your field.

BUT

you say you were terminated, you dont get EI when your fired. What does the record of employent say for your dismissal. if it says terminated, your gonna have a hard time getting anything.

I was terminated from a job after the owner gave the shifts to thier son. I couldnt get anything because the ROE said terminated, not laid off.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1827 posts
85 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 13th, 2010 4:03 pm
EI will pay for training in another field if you cant find work in your field.
BUT

you say you were terminated, you dont get EI when your fired. What does the record of employent say for your dismissal. if it says terminated, your gonna have a hard time getting anything.

I was terminated from a job after the owner gave the shifts to thier son. I couldnt get anything because the ROE said terminated, not laid off.
That has to be approved first by your provincial service provider. And if your fired, you can still receive EI unless the employer can prove misconduct on your part.

Ex. You came to work drunk ... or assaulted = fired = misconduct

ex 2. You just weren't suitable for the job = dismissed during probation = no misconduct proven
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 18, 2004
1371 posts
19 upvotes
The 6
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 13th, 2010 4:03 pm
you say you were terminated, you dont get EI when your fired. What does the record of employent say for your dismissal. if it says terminated, your gonna have a hard time getting anything.

I was terminated from a job after the owner gave the shifts to thier son. I couldnt get anything because the ROE said terminated, not laid off.
On my ROE, it says dismissal without anything filled out in the comments.

Before my termination the owner which is my manager/boss/employer said he will put dismissal on my ROE and told me he would tell Service Canada "fired without cause" if he were called up upon.

And I did receive termination pay because if I was fired with cause, I would not have received my termination pay. Fired with cause I believe means if I was caught for theft, mischief, etc ..

Which none of that happened, I was actually pissed I lost my job. Me and him plus his son and wife just did not get along mutually anymore and he terminated me on my next shift, it had nothing to do with my performance. He just had an ill disliking of me. That's what I get for sticking around at a franchise when the new owners fire all of management and try to take care of management themselves.




Anyways thanks for the input everyone, how about becoming a part time student would take affect my situation? Part-time meaning taking online classes so I can still work from home.
Jr. Member
User avatar
May 25, 2010
138 posts
151 upvotes
Newmarket
this answer is correct.....just to clarify that I believe it is the case that you must receive the approval before actually starting the course and the course likely has to be something related to skills upgrading or to improve your employment situation. definitely find out where your local resource centre is and check with them first.



Wilmega wrote:
Aug 13th, 2010 4:10 pm
That has to be approved first by your provincial service provider. And if your fired, you can still receive EI unless the employer can prove misconduct on your part.

Ex. You came to work drunk ... or assaulted = fired = misconduct

ex 2. You just weren't suitable for the job = dismissed during probation = no misconduct proven
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 18, 2005
10142 posts
1700 upvotes
Kingston
bubble.tea wrote:
Aug 13th, 2010 3:52 pm
I'm interested to know this as well.

You've put in the work hours to qualify you for EI. It should be irrelevant WHAT you're going to be doing once you stop working (whether fired, or resigned, or layed off or whatever), point is-you qualify-> You get EI.
It is completely relevant what your going to be doing once you stop working. You only qualify if you are seeking gainful employment. If you aren't you, don't qualify.
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
33693 posts
2288 upvotes
Markham
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 13th, 2010 4:03 pm
you say you were terminated, you dont get EI when your fired. What does the record of employent say for your dismissal. if it says terminated, your gonna have a hard time getting anything.
Sorry but thats not entirely true.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7340 posts
747 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2010 7:25 pm
Sorry but thats not entirely true.
Im simply going by what happened to me, this was around 8-9 years ago. I was denied solely based on the wording of the ROE. I appealed, and still didnt get EI.

Hopefully things have changed since then
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
98 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Aug 13th, 2010 3:52 pm
You've put in the work hours to qualify you for EI. It should be irrelevant WHAT you're going to be doing once you stop working (whether fired, or resigned, or layed off or whatever), point is-you qualify-> You get EI.
You must have mistaken EI for something resembling an actual insurance program. :)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
So you're working for 5yrs full-time.

You quit to go study full-time.

You don't qualify for EI? You certainly wouldn't (or at least likely wouldn't) qualify for OSAP because heck, unless you're pimpin' and have mortgage payments up the wazooo...who doesn't save enough to carry them over a year or so. Certainly the year afterwards perhaps as your last years income at THAT point would be $0...but this time around, your last years employment salary is not exactly..small.
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Banned
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
1659 posts
49 upvotes
You do not get EI.

Unless things have changed, when I lost a job in Quebec and wanted to learn French part time (and there is nothing more relevant to your job in Quebec than learning French), they would not let me have EI.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 29, 2007
839 posts
80 upvotes
Victoria BC
bubble.tea wrote:
Aug 13th, 2010 3:52 pm
You've put in the work hours to qualify you for EI. It should be irrelevant WHAT you're going to be doing once you stop working (whether fired, or resigned, or layed off or whatever), point is-you qualify-> You get EI.
EI isn't a bank account to for you to draw on whenever you feel like not working; it's insurance to make sure you don't starve to death during the time it takes to find a new job. Except for a few special circumstances (eg. quitting your job to care for a terminally ill family member) you must be ready, willing, and able to work each day and be actively looking for a new job to qualify for benefits.
× < >

Top