• Sep 18th, 2018 1:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1477 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto

Will insurance give me a hard time?

So I went to a friends for pizza in Etobicoke last night. I arrived around 730 pm and parked on the street. At 1130 we hear this LOUD crashing sound. We come out to find someone had plowed into the back of my car and while flipping his car. According to the cop the kid didn't show any signs of impairment and just lost control while sneezing. The officer also said that the driver will be charged careless driving. Thankfully he was ok and no one was hurt.
Anyway I believe that there's a 3 hr parking by law even if it's not posted. I have 2 concerns:
1. The car is a loaner from a dealership. Does this mean the claim goes through their insurance?
2. Since I was parked longer than the 3 hrs when the accident happened is there any responsibility on my end? Is there any chance that the insurance doesn't cover the damages (likely a write off)?

UPDATE:
The dealership has confirmed that their insurance covers the claim.
Last edited by jindogae on Sep 18th, 2018 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1022 posts
262 upvotes
Dartmouth
1 Loaner as in you had your car in for service and the dealer gave you a car? Then no it’s no different than a rental car (that has a rental rate if 0$) and it goes throug( your insurance.

2. A’s long as you were not parked I a no parking zone it’s extremely unlikley that essentially having an expired parking meter ( which no one can prove) that your claim would be denied.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21844 posts
6851 upvotes
Toronto
did you buy any insurance from dealer ? If not, then it's your insurance as long you have "non-owned liability" coverage. check your policy and see what's the limit and deductible (if any)
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1736 posts
471 upvotes
Kitchener
the amount you were parked will have no issues for insurance
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10318 posts
5287 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You might owe the dealer a deductible. I know for BMW they have a $5000 deductible. Hope yours doesn’t!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15124 posts
5397 upvotes
1) This depends on the agreement with the dealership for the loaner. You should really discuss with them. To be fair it shouldn't matter - you are not at fault and your rates will not rise.
2) No - it should not be relevant you were parked when you shouldn't. Imagine the chaos that would potentially cause - someone cuts you off and parks in the fire zone in front of Walmart. You take your 1995 Chev truck and plow through them laughing.

Good luck - I hope everything works out!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23755 posts
10169 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 1:11 pm
You might owe the dealer a deductible. I know for BMW they have a $5000 deductible. Hope yours doesn’t!
+1, dealerships are now adding a deductible requirement on their loaners.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1477 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
But would a deductible apply to a not at fault accident?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2823 posts
1837 upvotes
Oakville, ON
jindogae wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 7:33 am
So I went to a friends for pizza in Etobicoke last night. I arrived around 730 pm and parked on the street. At 1130 we hear this LOUD crashing sound. We come out to find someone had plowed into the back of my car and while flipping his car. According to the cop the kid didn't show any signs of impairment and just lost control while sneezing. The officer also said that the driver will be charged careless driving. Thankfully he was ok and no one was hurt.
Anyway I believe that there's a 3 hr parking by law even if it's not posted. I have 2 concerns:
1. The car is a loaner from a dealership. Does this mean the claim goes through their insurance?
2. Since I was parked longer than the 3 hrs when the accident happened is there any responsibility on my end? Is there any chance that the insurance doesn't cover the damages (likely a write off)?
Did you sign anything with the dealership when you took the loaner? Insurance follows the vehicle so it should be going thru their policy. The catch is that’s out may have signed something that made you responsible for their deductible.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3285 posts
476 upvotes
Montreal
jindogae wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 3:14 pm
But would a deductible apply to a not at fault accident?
R u serious?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1477 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
iownyou wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 7:27 pm
R u serious?
Quite serious. I have no idea how dealership insurance works. Typically I would not expect to pay a deductible when the other party is at fault but a couple mentioned earlier that dealerships are putting a $5000 deductible on their loaners.
Nov 24, 2015
478 posts
138 upvotes
interesting case, ive always wondered how this works.

Shouldnt the dealership (owner) deal directly with the party involved in the collision. Technically OP was not in control of the vehicle and therefore liability should be on his record.

Yes I understand OP will have to do paperwork since he was loaned the vehicle and it wasnt returned in same condition thats a different part of the story. But for the sake of the "collision" it really had nothing to do with OP, and he in theory should just direct all questions to the dealership and the party who hit the car.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1477 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
So I went into the dealership and was told that their insurance does indeed cover the accident. If it is a write off then they are only responsible for the taxes on the $5000 deductible Otherwise they are responsible for the first $5000 of repair and the insurance covers the rest.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3465 posts
1153 upvotes
Toronto
jindogae wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 7:10 am
So I went into the dealership and was told that their insurance does indeed cover the accident. If it is a write off then they are only responsible for the taxes on the $5000 deductible Otherwise they are responsible for the first $5000 of repair and the insurance covers the rest.
And what are you responsible to pay?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9397 posts
1929 upvotes
Markham
jindogae wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 7:33 am
UPDATE:
The dealership has confirmed that their insurance covers the claim.
Do you need to pay any deductible?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)