Will one-way ticket to USA (greyhound or train) cause me problems at Border?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2018 10:56 pm
Jr. Member
Jan 24, 2018
148 posts

Will one-way ticket to USA (greyhound or train) cause me problems at Border?

Reason I wanted to get a one-way ticket is not sure when I want to come back.

Will this cause my problems at the border if i'm not flying, im taking greyhound or train. from GTA----> New york
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3875 posts
They'll probably ask you more question then usual as they want to know how long you intend to stay and how you can financially support yourself while in the states.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4161 posts
It could possibly cause you problems. It depends a lot on the officer at the border and your personal situation. Do you have a full time position waiting for your in Canada? Do you have ties to Canada (house / mortgage or lease, family, bank accounts, etc). Do you have the means to support you while you are in the US and the means to return to Canada?

I'm not an authority but I wouldn't recommend you tell CPB officer that you don't know how long you'll be staying in the US. If you think you might only go for a few weeks but might end up staying up to 2 months, tell them that. My suggestion would be to get a two-way ticket (maybe get a ticket where you could possibly change the return date).

As a Canadian citizen, you're allowed to enter the US as a tourist for up to 6 months but they don't have to grant you 6 months and they can refuse you entry if they believe you might stay for longer.

Several years ago (before 9-11 when border security was much more lax), my common-law GF wanted to accompany me to the US where I was going to work (common-law (or same-sex) unions are not recognized by US CPB). I had a 3 month contract but my work permit was valid for 1 year. When they asked us how long we were going, we said 1 month (it was November and we were planning on returning to Canada for XMas) but because I had a 1 year work permit, the CPB officer decided that since I had a 1 year work permit, I might decide to stay in the US for one year and he didn't believe my GF would leave without me so she was refused entry AND she was banned from entering the US without us being married. We had already discussed this possibility so returned to Canada, got married and returned to the US the following week. When we crossed again, she was required to show the marriage certificate and that CPB officer said that it's a good thing she didn't try to enter the US without getting married as she was flagged in the system and they could have detained / imprisoned and / or confiscated all her belongings (including the vehicle she crosses the border in).

And it's not just the US. A few years ago, my Canadian friend tried to enter Canada with his American fiance but since they weren't married yet, she didn't have status in Canada so she tried to just enter as a tourist. She was stopped because they didn't believe she was coming in as a tourist, refused entry and banned from entering Canada. They were married shortly after (they were supposed to get married in Canada but they had to move the wedding to the US because she couldn't enter the country) and even after they were married, it took 2-3 years for her to be allowed to enter Canada.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
2392 posts
If you are/look young and don't have a job, probably.

Buy a refundable airline ticket and refund it later.


Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)